Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 AM

164 posts, read 772,178 times

Advertisements

As a recent transplant (moved her mid-May, so right as things were heating up)...

It's hot. REALLY hot. But not nearly as rough as I expected. First, I apparently can't feel heat about 100F, esp when it is fairly dry since the sweat evaporates before you know you're sweating (drink LOTS of water). I found at 115F the difference is the sweat literally pours into your eyes and stings (doesn't evap under your sunglasses, so flows into your eyes), but doesn't "feel" any hotter. I spent a "record hot" summer in DC (100F and 90%rh) and that felt hotter to me than this, even on the humid days here.

What is tough with the heat is:
1) you simply can't do some things (unless you are a crazy native). Won't finish moving stuff in from the garage until the temps drop. Just too hot to exert much.
2) it's unrelenting. For months it may only be below 100F between 1a-5a. So talk of "mornings or evenings" don't apply for 2-3mo because it is NEVER cool enough to exert (unless you are a crazy native or a vampire).

That said, you adjust. Hey, I grew up in Seattle where 70F was a heat wave and have been stuck indoors here with 3 kids for the last few months and I'm still fine (twitch, twitch). Only time we're out is our nightly 1-2hrs in our pool (glad we got a nice big pool) and being housebound this summer motivated us to buy a 3,000 sqft house instead of a 2,000sqft one.

I think if you can accept those 2 things -- basically, accept and work with the heat instead of fighting it, you'll be fine. Some of the morning are starting to feel really nice (fall approaching), and with the thermostat set at 80F we're starting to sleep with a blanket, so I guess we're acclimating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,171,724 times
You simply have to learn to adapt. Some of the things that you would do up north during the middle of the day are impossible here (yard work as an example). However, some things you might do in the evening up north you will do during the day (go to a movie, hang out in a dark pub).

Some people adapt quicker than others. Since you have lived your life in a colder climate you adapted to it without knowing you did. You just have to accept a few changes (summer vacation to a cooler place, not warmer).

If the heat really gets to you you can always take a ride up to Flagstaff or Show Low. In 2 hours you will escape the heat for a while.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:19 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAPepper View Post
Winter is coming 'round real soon and I'm sure on my first day there in 70 degrees, when it's 30 degrees back home, I'll know for sure that I made the right decision. LOL

You know what? We visited Aug. 12-20th and one of the days, you guys were having a "record breaking" high temp - I guess maybe a degree warmer than the previous record. My husband and I were having lunch in Tempe and people were in long sleeve shirts, lol. My husband said... "that'll be you next summer. 115 degrees in a long sleeve shirt. And you'll probably STILL be cold"
For most people the long sleeves are for protection from the sun, not because they are cold. That brings up a topic not often mentioned on here since most people worry about the heat. You will need to keep in mind that Arizona is right at the top of the list for occurances of skin cancer so get used to buying plenty of sunscreen, then remember to use it.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 AM

78 posts, read 229,178 times
You may like it if you really hate the cold. I would caution you, however, on making a judgement based on just a week's visit. Anyone can tolerate anything for a week. I didn't mind the heat at first either, but year after year has worn thin on me. Then again, I have never been one to enjoy warmer temps; I tend to prefer it a bit cooler. Keep me under 80 degrees and I am in heaven... push the thermostat higher and I am just plain evil. It starts heating up in May, but can start as early as April. It can easily last until the beginning of November. Last year I had to make an emergency Halloween costume change for my 3 year old because it was 98 degrees on Halloween and he would have roasted in his lion's costume. I remember a few Halloween's like that. Truthfully, I think I could suffer through the heat for the rest of my life if it wasn't so dry. I know, most people hate humidity. I personally like it. My skin, hair and nails are radiant in the humidity. In the dry Arizona climate, I feel like I have aged horribly and I definitely do not glow like I used to. I LOVE Monsoon because my skin is gorgeous and I have a continual stream of "good hair days." As soon as Monsoon is gone, I'm back to ashy, flaky, dull me. I use moisturizers by the truck load, but they just don't do the same job that good ol' Mother Nature does!

I would recommend spending a longer time down here or perhaps making several trips before making your decision, if possible. Also if possible, consider a temporary move of maybe a year or two. I have known people fortunate enough to have the right circumstances to allow a temporary move, and some ended up staying, some ended up going back. Not everyone can take this approach, but if you can, it may be a very wise investment if it saves you from possibly making a life changing decision that you will regret.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:00 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Ovaries View Post
Truthfully, I think I could suffer through the heat for the rest of my life if it wasn't so dry. I know, most people hate humidity. I personally like it. My skin, hair and nails are radiant in the humidity. In the dry Arizona climate, I feel like I have aged horribly and I definitely do not glow like I used to. I LOVE Monsoon because my skin is gorgeous and I have a continual stream of "good hair days." As soon as Monsoon is gone, I'm back to ashy, flaky, dull me. I use moisturizers by the truck load, but they just don't do the same job that good ol' Mother Nature does!
Me, too, in a way. I'm not crazy about humidity--makes the heat harder to take, but the extreme dryness wears hard on your skin and hair. My hair is normally a bit curly w/ humidity and it has a lot of natural body, but here, it's like a dry mop head. And, skin, whew, like an alligator. And, has gotten worse over the years. And, there is no amount of stuff that helps, cuz the air is the primary source of it.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
Yes, definitely try to come for a longer time than a week. We came to visit twice, for about 4 days each time. Once was Feb. and other time in March. I loved it here. It even rained for us while we were here ! I thought the heat would be like Las Vegas, which I had been in a few times and didn't think it was so bad. Well, we moved here April 21, 2001. It was 100 degrees the day the movers were moving our stuff in and I began to think , then, that maybe we made a mistake.

Each year that goes by I hate the heat more and more and swear up and down that its worse every year. Toward the end of summer, I just can't WAIT to have it cooler. If it lasts until October, I just get MAD every day. Not sure who I am mad at? The weatherman maybe? Global warming? Anyway, it has come to the point where I am hoping to move to either N or S Carolina, before the next summer. Just decided I can't take it anymore. I think I gave it a long enough time, and Arizona's time has come to an end.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 PM

164 posts, read 772,178 times
One things I'm noticing is the impact of attitude, and I'm not just talking "good" vrs "bad". I'm a hard core 30-yr planner, but when it comes to things like weather I take it a day at a time. I have preferences, but I was fine when it was -19F in Denver or 115F here. I don't LIKE being housebound either by snow or heat, but it doesn't...upset me. I don't know if that makes sense. But I am beginning to suspect that if weather of any type REALLY bugs you, or you spend all winter waiting for Spring...well, you might just be trading flies for bees with a move.

So my pop psych statement would be that if you don't like cold but would PREFER the heat, you'll probably be fine. If you HATE the cold and think heat will be a cure-all, you might find you grow to hate heat instead. If that is the case, a few more trips would be a good idea. See if, besides the weather, how do you feel about Phoenix? Do you like the area more and more each visit?

Nice people live all over the US, and the PacNW is full of folks that will apologize if YOU bump into THEM (lol). But I've found our new neighbors all friendly (all transplanted from CA, though, lol) and am starting to get used to the store clerks trying to have a REAL conversation with you during check out, as well as sincere "have a wonderful day"-s.

SO are you the type that sees the good or the bad? Which builds up in your mental picture of a place?

Old 09-05-2010, 05:18 PM

122 posts, read 719,667 times
I'm a recent transplant from Maryland, arrived here late in June.

Yes, the heat is unrelenting. However, I much prefer hot weather to cold weather and can "tolerate" temps that are 105* - 115* much easier than temps at 20* - 30*.

I had to laugh at these weather guys here when they reported how "muggy" it is here during summer, when the humidity is 50% - 60%. I hate to say it, but back east, 80% - 90% humidity when temps are in the high 90's to 100's is much more oppressive. But that's just me.

Anyway, you need to spend a week or two out here during monsoon season. Try to do activities that you typically do back home. Sit in some rush hour traffic, take an evening walk, you'll get a sense of whether it is tolerable or not.

If you are a baseball fan, Chase Field (Diamondbacks) is air conditioned. And if you hate rain, after you move here, you will begin to look forward to rain in the valley.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:09 PM

60 posts, read 101,557 times
Thank you to all who responded! We love the area and will adjust to everything else well. I think the heat, like other "new" things, will take some getting used to. My husband actually likes to ski and loves the proximity of the Valley to skiing in the winter (couple of hours?). I think, knowing what we are getting into, we won't try to "overdo" it there (i.e., we won't attempt yard work or a big move in 100 degrees). I'm not under any false beliefs that the heat will change my life and that I'll never have any "issues" with the climate again. But winters have worn out their welcome in my life... I've got to give something different a try and there really isn't much holding me back at this point. Why not, right?

Thanks again, folks!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM

60 posts, read 101,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayStreet View Post
I'm a recent transplant from Maryland, arrived here late in June.

Yes, the heat is unrelenting. However, I much prefer hot weather to cold weather and can "tolerate" temps that are 105* - 115* much easier than temps at 20* - 30*.

I had to laugh at these weather guys here when they reported how "muggy" it is here during summer, when the humidity is 50% - 60%. I hate to say it, but back east, 80% - 90% humidity when temps are in the high 90's to 100's is much more oppressive. But that's just me.

Anyway, you need to spend a week or two out here during monsoon season. Try to do activities that you typically do back home. Sit in some rush hour traffic, take an evening walk, you'll get a sense of whether it is tolerable or not.

If you are a baseball fan, Chase Field (Diamondbacks) is air conditioned. And if you hate rain, after you move here, you will begin to look forward to rain in the valley.
Sounds like you're adjusting well

Good advice with doing those daily activities. I don't think we'll be thrilled with the heat day after day after an extended period of time so I imagine we're going to treat it a lot like winter back home. With time, I imagine we'll either adjust or say "hell no... not for us."

We got a chance to walk around stadium while the D-backs were away - great experience! Love Chase Field and can't wait to see a game there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area