Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 PM

40 posts, read 117,906 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are looking to move to phoenix. We are in our mid twenties, no kids and we are looking to rent. She has a degree in art(metal-smith/jewelry) and I have a degree in Finance working on my cpa. We are looking to rent and would like to keep the rent under $800 a month.

Once we get settled in and know what we really want we will probably buy a house. We don't really plan on having kids so school area's don't matter to us. We just don't want a bad crime area.

What are some good areas to live in phoenix for the rent range we are looking at? Is there really any jobs in our fields?

We have thought about Gilbert/Scottsdale areas, but are there any other good area? Any information would be great and if you know of any agents or anyone who can help please let me know. We are moving from around the Chicago area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
Do you know where you and your wife will be working? You could end up with a really monster commute-the valley is very geographically large. For example, the city of Scottsdale alone may be only a few miles wide at most places, but is about 30 miles long. What else are you looking for in an area (ie shopping, golf, nightlife-whatever your interests are)?

Re-reading your post it seems you don't have jobs lined up yet? That would be a very risky position to be in, especially in the current economy if neither of you had employment lined up before moving. The valley of course is having its share of "jobs" issues just like everywhere else.

Your budget would go further in a place like Gilbert than in north Scottsdale for example.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 AM

40 posts, read 117,906 times
Well we like shopping, golf, movies, hiking, parks for the most part. We also like to ride our bikes as well. We are very active outdoors, but in chicago we really can't when it starts to become winter.

Well I can transfer my jobs with my bank I am currently working for. My wife won't be so lucky. Hence why our budget is only 800 a month for rent. We kinda want to be closer to the city center but maybe not in the city.

The commute doesn't matter to me really. I can spend 45mins to an hour in chicago land traffic.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:40 PM

6 posts, read 12,472 times
Tempe or South Scottsdale for someone in your age range and price.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 PM

78 posts, read 229,293 times
Just a word about the finance industry here. I am in that industry and have suffered 3 layoffs in 6 years and it took me a year to find a job this last time. I have been in the industry for 20 years and it seems most of the jobs here are entry level, so I got the "you're over qualified" speech alot. It's good that you can transfer with your bank, but I would urge you to keep in mind that if you leave that bank you may not have many job options for a few years.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:51 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
I also like the South Scottsdale advice....and being near the excellent Indian Bend Wash greenbelt park would be good for twenty-somethings, too....good access to all parts of the valley, too....if you go for Tempe, you may or may not want to avoid complexes primarily geared for ASU students.....

you may want to stay in an "extended-stay"/long-term hotel for a month or so when you first get here and spend your free time looking around at various areas before irrevocably committing to a complex you don't like....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area