Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM

278 posts, read 622,782 times

Advertisements

"Bad parts" meaning houses were made a little cheaper, not such great care taken, etc....I mean if you were really picky? Thanks for any responses as this is where we want to wind up. We'll be moving in the next few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
There are older parts in what I would call Ahwatukee proper, with the issues older homes can have, but no really bad parts that I'm aware of. I think the construction in Ahwatukee, Mountain Park Ranch, and the Foothills is of good quality.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,216 times
Inside the HOA boundaries? My mother stills lives in the neighborhood NE of 51st St/Warner Rd - these homes were built in the 1970s, but I haven't seen any issues. All well taken care of. I actually like this neighborhood a bunch because the lots are huge compared to the rest of Tukee.

I grew up just NW of 48th St/Elliot in a home built in the early 1980s. Lots of Pulte homes - they settled a class-action suit due to faulty plastic plumbing. Not sure if there are any other issues to look for, but it wouldn't surprise me. I believe this is considered Ahwatukee but outside the HOA boundaries.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:25 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,053 times
If you're house hunting, I'd definitely check in person before leaping, especially when it comes to foreclosures. When I was looking for a home last year, I went to a few of those older homes that Robert mentions (close to 48th and Elliot and non-HOA, built in the 70s or 80s) and wow...the people really had trashed many of them prior to foreclosure (this was in the $150,000-180,000 range). But of course that can happen anywhere in the valley, not just Ahwatukee. The thing is, too, the pictures on MLS can be very deceptive...what looks like a cute house on the outside can be a nightmare on the inside. Can't tell you how many times that happened when I was house-hunting in Phoenix in general. Really depressing. And I'm not even talking minor stuff like replacing carpets or obnoxious paint colors.

I did see one really sweet foreclosed house that was in good shape and perfectly priced, but by the time my realtor looked into it, it had already received so many bids...they put a moratorium on offers! It was gone in a flash...investors with their cash!

Still, Ahwatukee has always impressed me as a great area area to live...even if you have to pay a bit for HOA fees. Just a matter of finding the right house, and hopefully not so deep into the cul-de-sac that you have to drive forever to get out of it on your way to work. That drive into downtown Phoenix from I-10 south is always a pain as it is. Something to consider.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
I'm partial to anything west of 42nd street, north of Chandler Blvd, and south of Warner and it gets better the further west you go.

But I agree, there are no bad parts of Ahwatukee.

Crime does happen, but it happens everywhere.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
hopefully not so deep into the cul-de-sac that you have to drive forever to get out of it on your way to work.
Xica refers to 'tukee often being called the "world's biggest cul-de-sac" because there are only a couple major streets that access it and it extends several miles back from those access points (off I-10)......

Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 PM

278 posts, read 622,782 times
I don't have online access to foreclosures, I really know nothing about them. Xica, I totally will check them out in person before doing anything. My daughter lives there too, so I can have her check it out. I won't buy a home without paying for an inspection so we know what we're getting into.

Howard, you mentioned an area, do you happen to know what zip that is. I know the zips for Ahwatukee are 85044, 45, and 48. I'm a little like Rain Man lately when it comes to moving. I quit my job, the house is under contract (won't know for sure until the check is in hand) and I'm living in limbo. It's not bad though. I just think when we finally get into a home it will be sweet!!! This is where we'll stay. No flipping or re-locating for us.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
http://zipcodemapphoenix.com/zipimages/phxzipmaphi.jpg Looks like that area is 85042, but I would not limit myself to that. I agree that the area further west (which really is not Ahwatukee, technically) is really nice, and especially if you are not worried about a daily commute out of that area, which can be a crowded experience.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
In reference to Ahwatukee as a cul-de-sac, there is a plan to extend the loop 202 freeway to intersect I10 West (South Mountain Freeway) which may alleviate some of the congestion. No definite time for construction, and the alignment of the freeway is still being debated. The present alignment will impact homes along the southern boundary unless it is moved into the Indian reservation.

http://www.azdot.gov/Highways/Valley...s/Loop_202.asp

Regarding access to Ahwatukee foreclosure listings, they can be found through certain Realtor web sites that provide MLS listing searches. DM me if you want a specific example .

Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 39,921 times
A big thing to consider with that area is that there is a freeway planned to go through the area. ADOT has been buying houses and will continue to do so until they have their path for the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area