U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 AM

41 posts, read 40,994 times
Question Relocate NJ to PHX area -- West, East, North?? Differences?

Can you help "break-down" the regions of the surrounding PHX area as we try to choose areas to research real estate .

We don't necessarily want to be in the "City" but not in the "rual" area either. We do want to be in a community that is NOT too young and NOT too retired -- a mix would be nice. In NJ We enjoy active towns with things like street festivals/car shows/outdoor "music on main street" type of things -- realizing that we may need to replace this enjoyment with something different that the region offers. We like a close proximity to the "outdoorsy" types of things like hiking/exploring/camping/canyons/etc. Also require being realatively close to retail conveniences...

The prices in the Eastern part of the valley are incredibly affordable. Why is that? Is this the case all around PHX?

We are early 40's couple with son (15). Been living in NJ since the 80's. Ready to ditch NJ and find something new/exciting/affordable.

We run a small business from our home so we can live anywhere.

If we do need to rely on other JOBS then something $10-$15/hour will do but not much more will be necessary.

I spent 2 years in Globe AZ in the late 70's so I am very familiar with the terrain/beauty/and recreational potential. Now Globe around 3,500 feet above sea level is NOT the valley so the weather will be different.

Where should we limit our search to?

Last edited by moxiefox; 09-16-2010 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Added details.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 AM

8,286 posts, read 10,084,878 times
I would suggest coming out for a visit and seeing the different areas in person. Many of us are a littled biased as to which area is best. We like the west side for a multitude of reasons, but the east side has its good points and you can find as many nice neighborhoods there as the west side. Some of the south east areas, like Queen Creek have been slammed by the foreclosure crisis as has Maricopa. If you don't have to comute to work, you are lucky to be able to choose from all angles. I would find a good realtor to help you narrow down some areas and to give you information on schools.
North Peoria is newer and the newer developments are master planned communities that offer a lot of perks as far as ammenities go. In Vistancia we have 3 pools, one with a waterslide, gym, tennise courts, indoor basketball, walking trails and the two high schools are highly rated. Also check out Sonoran Mt. Ranch which is a very nice community tucked up into the foothills like Vistancia. Both have access to great shopping centers. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,373,569 times
If a non-rural but non-city area is what you're looking for then many parts of the far west valley might be ideal.

Litchfield Park instantly comes to mind, it's a suburban area pretty much off by itself nearby some scenic mountains like the Estrellas and White Tanks. It's also within driving distance to the Wildlife World Zoo.

Vistancia, Estrella, and Verrado are communities in the far west valley that also might be in your sights.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:14 PM

441 posts, read 541,943 times
I have been in both Estrella Mountain Ranch and Verrado just to see how the communities planted out...etc ... I gave EMR 8 /10 and Verrado is very close to a 10 for me.....Both are nice though.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,642,971 times
The West side is really boring, flat for the most part, and high in crime. The South side is roughly the same. The North side is pretty, better in the streets than avenues, and in a fairly good proximity to the outdoors. The East side is decent and in a great spot for exploring the nearby wilderness.

Most all the lakes, rivers, and mountains are on the North and East sides making them generally better places to live. When you inevitably need a break from the heat and want to drive up to the woods you'd appreciate not having to drive all the way across the valley from Peoria or Glendale to get to the Rim, adding a half hour of driving or worse if rush hour. Mesa to Payson is exactly an hour's drive, likewise from North Phoenix to Prescott. The lakes and Mountains nearby are great anyway.

As far as community gatherings, I'd say they're rare. I've heard complaint from people from Back East about the lack of those( however, they keep coming ). There are things like that but they're spread out all over the Valley. There's no real "Main Street" where everyone goes to walk around and gather. Some will tell you Downtown PHX or Tempe, but when you're there you're either boozing or being artsy, or perusing arts and crafts for the ninetyfourth time. It's a city designed for/by the car. "Walkability" is a foreign word here.

Last edited by cacto; 09-17-2010 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: I forgot something.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:44 AM

41 posts, read 40,994 times
All of your comments are great and extremely helpful! I think that, for now, we will focus on the East Valley -- Queens Creek, Gilbert, Apache Jct, and Gold Canyon Ranch areas.

It appears that vaired home values within our $100K-$130K can be found just about any region in the valley -- as well as new construction and organized communitites. The East offers the proximity to the areas that I'm already familiar with (Globe/Roosevelt Lake/Superstitions/Sierra Anches/etc.)

Now just trying to narrow down a 4+ bedroom 2+Bath 1800+ square foot home with a nicely groomed front and back yard (although not too much of a yard that requires a lot of work). A pool would be nice but not sure about the practicality of having a pool in AZ. Lastly a location with a decent proximity to retail (not next door but within a mile or so)....

Now the fun begins!

Old 09-17-2010, 12:42 PM

8,286 posts, read 10,084,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
The West side is really boring, flat for the most part, and high in crime. The South side is roughly the same. The North side is pretty, better in the streets than avenues, and in a fairly good proximity to the outdoors. The East side is decent and in a great spot for exploring the nearby wilderness.

Most all the lakes, rivers, and mountains are on the North and East sides making them generally better places to live. When you inevitably need a break from the heat and want to drive up to the woods you'd appreciate not having to drive all the way across the valley from Peoria or Glendale to get to the Rim, adding a half hour of driving or worse if rush hour. Mesa to Payson is exactly an hour's drive, likewise from North Phoenix to Prescott. The lakes and Mountains nearby are great anyway.

As far as community gatherings, I'd say they're rare. I've heard complaint from people from Back East about the lack of those( however, they keep coming ). There are things like that but they're spread out all over the Valley. There's no real "Main Street" where everyone goes to walk around and gather. Some will tell you Downtown PHX or Tempe, but when you're there you're either boozing or being artsy, or perusing arts and crafts for the ninetyfourth time. It's a city designed for/by the car. "Walkability" is a foreign word here.
You first sentance paints the west side with such a broad brush and it is not necessarily the truth. The south west closer to the center is probably crime ridden more so than other parts of the west side. North Peoria is a beautiful city and Goodyear and Surprise are very nice as well. I could make the same annalogy about the east side being gummy and crime ridden because the only part of it I am familiar with is the airport and the Maricopa County Burn Unit. People really do need to explore the different parts to decide what fits them. I just don't think the east side is superior to the west side other than being close to the airport.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 PM

15,877 posts, read 18,656,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiefox View Post
All of your comments are great and extremely helpful! I think that, for now, we will focus on the East Valley -- Queens Creek, Gilbert, Apache Jct, and Gold Canyon Ranch areas.

It appears that vaired home values within our $100K-$130K can be found just about any region in the valley -- as well as new construction and organized communitites. The East offers the proximity to the areas that I'm already familiar with (Globe/Roosevelt Lake/Superstitions/Sierra Anches/etc.)

Now just trying to narrow down a 4+ bedroom 2+Bath 1800+ square foot home with a nicely groomed front and back yard (although not too much of a yard that requires a lot of work). A pool would be nice but not sure about the practicality of having a pool in AZ. Lastly a location with a decent proximity to retail (not next door but within a mile or so)....

Now the fun begins!
Not sure what you mean about the pool. Just about every other house has a pool here (PHX area) and in some developments maybe more than that. There must be more pools per capita here than anywhere in the world. A pool helps with summer if you use it. Many just look at it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area