Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 41,003 times

Advertisements

We live in Gilbert on an acre in irrigated area....we see lots of stray cats and we have plenty of scorpions. This area has alot of huge trees and plenty of shade. cats do well feasting on birds....whatever else they do though doesn't seem to slim the scorpion population. The town is fine...we live in old Gilbert.
the traffic stinks...the parks are nice...people are decent. My advice is to spend a weekend here is August to see if you can stand the heat...we have temps as high as 115.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,482 times
Why are the prices of the homes so low compared to surrounding areas? Are the train tracks an issue regarding the price of the homes. Looking to move out that way very soon.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:52 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Meggison View Post
Why are the prices of the homes so low compared to surrounding areas? Are the train tracks an issue regarding the price of the homes. Looking to move out that way very soon.
Are you meaning Queen Creek? It's because the further you go from Phx the cheaper it gets. QC is 50 miles away from PHX.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:57 PM

551 posts, read 2,725,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songstress View Post
How far is the commute into Phoenix from the Maricopa Queen Creek vs the Pinal one? Is there a big difference?

It is sort of confusing to find that this one small town is in 2 counties.
Is there a difference in life style between the 2?
I note that that the Maricopa side seems to have some shopping and the Pinal side is getting something soon?
Is there a difference in the school systems for both?

We have thought Gilbert also and have been told it is also a smaller town, but the stats say 156,000 in Gilbert to Queen Creeks 16,000, but does that count all of Queen Creek or just one county? What is Gilbert really like?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am trying to figure this one out.
Thanks for any input
My understanding is that the official Queen Creek is primarily in Maricopa County. As it has grown, it is sprawling out beyond the official city boarders and into Pinal County. I am not sure if the city will ever officially annex land on the Pinal County side. There is also an area in unincorporated Queen Creek that people are trying to call San Tan Heights, but I also doubt that will become a separate city. For the most part, everything south of the Maricopa County line is just unincorporated Pinal County.

Gilbert is much more built out and developed, but this, of course, will cause the property values to be higher in Gilbert.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:50 PM

18 posts, read 94,311 times
Thank you Mastershake!
You answered quite a few of my questions about the county limits and such.
Makes a lot of sense now, as for the scorpions I was beginning to wonder if this was the same thread I posted? I'm glad the cats help, but not what I was hoping for.

As for checking Arizona out first and seeing if I can handle the temps. It's a nice idea, but that is not an option for me since we will be relocating for job reasons.
I figure I spend most of the winter months here in Michigan inside because it is too cold. I will instead spend the summer months there inside because it is too hot, seems a fair trade off considering that the electric bill for the A/C will still be less then my $360.00 gas bill for one month last January. plus I much rather look out at the dirt that just sits there than the snow piling up that needs to be shoveled!

I know it is different out there and there will be adjustments. I am well aware of it. I am trying to make the best of the situation by remaining positive.
My job as a parent at this point is to find the area and school that will best fit my children's needs. A place where they will not be too much like fish out of water.
We do well enough, but are not rich. I want them to be somewhere in the middle instead of struggling to keep up with the others. I also don't want to throw them out of a town with the maybe the 6,000 people we have here and into the city, so I need to ask the tough questions.
I have lived in the city before, but they just visit.

I thank everyone for their help. I need support from the people out there at this point because this IS happening. helpful hints are great!

Thank you for the help

Old 07-07-2007, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Are you meaning Queen Creek? It's because the further you go from Phx the cheaper it gets. QC is 50 miles away from PHX.
Yes, Queen Creek. thanks for the reply, Could you tell me why there are so many foreclosures on homes in that city? We want to make the right choice on relocating and were curious about this. Also, do the train tracks create a problem?

Old 07-07-2007, 02:48 PM

105 posts, read 446,105 times
The coyotes will eat your kitties if you leave them out at night so be careful to bring them in at night.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:00 PM

319 posts, read 493,779 times
Holy ****, 50 miles?! Talk about sprawl.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:18 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
The coyotes will eat your kitties if you leave them out at night so be careful to bring them in at night.
The same with Maricopa!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:08 AM

343 posts, read 552,217 times
I've lost cats and have many others hang on when they figure out you have to sleep on top of cars to avoid the coyotes. Hah! They still take care of my scorpions and someone is always looking to get rid of cats instead of taking them to the pound where it is a 99% chance they will be euthanized anyway. Go to the pound if you really need one.

Queen Creek by postal address covers a large area, but the city limits of the town are close to the new freeway loop 202 which makes for a very doable commute to Phoenix metro and jobs. Once you get outside of city limits to Johnson Ranch/San Tan Heights area, then people begin to complain a little more about the commute. Roads are improving slowly, and so has the options for retail. I've lived here for some time now in Pinal county and drive all over the state, so commuting is just a way of life.

As far as schools go, your children can adapt easier to Queen Creek High as opposed to Florence or Coolidge(More of a culture shock). If you live in the city limits of Queen Creek, you can choose from Basha High(Chandler Unified) or a new Gilbert Unified school that is opening off of Queen Creek/Greenfield roads. Both are about a 15 minute commute depending on where you choose to live. AZ has an open enrollment policy to educate your kids outside of school district boundaries IF the school has room and is accepting, but the growth is crowding these schools so good luck.

Housing prices are more in the city limits of Queen Creek as opposed to the unincorporated part in Pinal County. Most of the foreclosures are in Pinal County I'm guessing, but don't know for sure. It depends on how far out you want to be! You can pick up a good deal as now is a good time to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area