U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 PM

8,157 posts, read 9,185,356 times
Yep - avoiding seafood in the desert would of made sense a 100 years ago, before refrigeration cars, commercial air travel and overall knowledge of food storage

now - eat up people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 PM

3,341 posts, read 4,663,549 times
sorry to veer off the Louisiana theme, but the thread title got me.....

more than ten years ago, the Fish Market on Camelback, now overlooking the 51, was the hot seafood place...I think it's still open, but wondering if it still is as good as ever....

occasionally, I just like a good ultra-fresh halibut or salmon and I don't want to go to a see-and-be-seen poser place like Mastro's Ocean Club....Red Lobster sometimes works for this, but is there something just one step above good ol' Red Lobster??.....thanks.....

Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 PM

3,886 posts, read 6,107,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post

more than ten years ago, the Fish Market on Camelback, now overlooking the 51, was the hot seafood place...I think it's still open, but wondering if it still is as good as ever....

occasionally, I just like a good ultra-fresh halibut or salmon and I don't want to go to a see-and-be-seen poser place like Mastro's Ocean Club....Red Lobster sometimes works for this, but is there something just one step above good ol' Red Lobster??.....thanks.....
Ah, what about Taylors fish house in Phoenix?
Thats the only place I'd go to out here. Refrigeration or not. They fly their seafood here daily, they use to serve real fried clams with bellies. yummy!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM

3,886 posts, read 6,107,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubee View Post
Yes, contrary to popular belief, most sushi restaurants do not only sell local fish ; ) High-quality sushi restaurants across the country source seafood from Japan, Hawaii, California, etc., and those in Phoenix do the same. I'm actually heading out with a girlfriend tonight to one of my favorite Japanese restaurants - Hana Japanese Eatery - and most of their sushi and sashimi is flown in fresh from Hawaii and Japan, often just a few hours before. I love this place - small, family-owned, and it's BYOB too!
hana japanese eatery

Koji with fresh blue fin
Happy boy when the blue fin comes in..... | Plixi

fresh scallops
Radom act of Hananess.....live scallops & Japanese uni in tod... on Twitpic

fresh uni
What a Wednesday..O toro, live uni, oysters on the half, walu... on Twitpic

and my favorite pic - fresh Japanese Tai/seabream
Koji's love affair with fish! Fresh never frozen Japanese Tai... on Twitpic
Now that I might do, thanks for the list!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 PM

253 posts, read 471,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Now that I might do, thanks for the list!
Hope you like it Twiggy! It was my girlfriend's first visit and she loved it. She's bringing her husband next week It's run by the nicest family. We brought a couple of bottles of Arizona wine and had a fabulous meal last night (my friend took some camera pics):

Gyoza (pork dumplings) Mom makes 600-800 of these a week!
Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter
Rainbow Carpaccio - halibut, tuna, salmon, and yellowtail with garlic chips, olive oil, and lemon-cucumber relish
Hotategai (scallops)
Toro (tuna belly)
Tuna tataki

And believe it or not the last two dishes (no pics) were actually the highlight of the meal! Two specials - one was tai/sea bream set over a rack in a bowl of hot river rocks. Kaz poured sake over the rocks, and covered the bowl and let it steam the fish for a few seconds. Then you wrapped it in shiso leaves with some shredded daikon (radish) and dipped it in tataki sauce. Fabulous. Our last dish was just as amazing - uni (sea urchin) and shiso tempura. I love Hana.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...a_japanese.php

Last edited by Rubee; 09-23-2010 at 04:20 PM..

Old 09-23-2010, 04:53 PM

72 posts, read 85,315 times
Geez that looks expensive (and delicious!). The Toro and Uni alone would do it for me.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 AM

784 posts, read 1,506,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post

Sadly, The Fish Market closed a little while back and is now the Blue Water Grill. Here is the article:

Popular Phoenix eatery to close

We loved The Fish Market and went many times over the years. We have been to the Blue Water Grill once and it was good. I don't recall anything that would be considered extraodinary but it was solidly good.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:29 AM

13,781 posts, read 16,252,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
Sadly, The Fish Market closed a little while back and is now the Blue Water Grill. Here is the article:

Popular Phoenix eatery to close

We loved The Fish Market and went many times over the years. We have been to the Blue Water Grill once and it was good. I don't recall anything that would be considered extraodinary but it was solidly good.
The article is wrong on the "only in Southern California" part. There's one in Palo Alto that I go to on my yearly trips up there.. still very good, but not in "southern" California. Sorry the one here closed. Haven't been to Blue Water yet.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM

19 posts, read 42,430 times
The Fish Market is basically the same company as Bluewater Grille. The son-in-law to the owner of Fish Market owns Bluewater Grille. Both are based out of Newport Beach. I think he just passed ownership to the SIL because the SIL put money in the place and remodeled quite a bit. The manager at Bluewater does an impicable job of making sure every customer is satisifed. I go there almost every week and I highly recommend the place.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:09 PM

4,214 posts, read 9,893,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0zac View Post
I miss the crawfish I used to be able to get back in Houston. And the oysters and fried catfish. Are there any places in Phoenix that serve that kind of stuff other than Chinese buffets?
I've been getting my Cajun fix at Pappadeux's.

Flavor's of Louisiana is good, and we frequent there, but all the good stuff is fried. The non-fried stuff I've had are so-so. Those boudain balls though, oooh-wee! To die for!

Oh yeah, and The Salt Cellar is awesome. I'm pretty sure they are still open. Don't know if they have cajun style but their seafood is really fresh (and expensive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area