Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 AM

72 posts, read 175,741 times

Advertisements

I hope she's not getting a tattoo so that she can be different, just like everybody else.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:51 AM
YAZ

7,700 posts, read 14,033,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
This is America. Go ahead. Tattoo up. Pierce your face. Loop you ears. Have a ball.

Don't expect to be successful in any career unless you become a rock star.

Don't expect the regular folks to accept your youthful craziness.

My cousin's son is an intelligent young man. He is in a band, which isn't going anywhere. His father's wishes for him were high, since he has above average intelligence.

His father allowed him to get "fangs" in his bottom lip when he was just 15 years old. Next came his 1st tattoo. Then the ear lobe stretching, which are now about two inches in diameter. His arms, neck, legs, back, chest and well, almost every other part of his body are covered with tattoos.

He is working in a factory (night shift) and will probably work there for the next 30-40 years in the shadows with no opportunity for anything else.

He looks like what would have been in a freak show a few decades ago. He has made himself 99% unemployable in any professional setting.

This is his problem, not potential employers. You reap what you sow.
Describes someone I know.......'cept that this fella has a forked tongue.

Initials are "B.B."

Last edited by YAZ; 09-24-2010 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: add

Old 09-24-2010, 09:10 AM

805 posts, read 1,994,322 times
I have tattoo's on both of my forearms and i've never had a problem getting a job...just wore a long sleeve shirt at companies that it was necessary to cover them.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:12 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,621,951 times
I'd recommend keeping the body decorations covered. If that's not possible, people shouldn't expect too much from employers.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:36 AM

426 posts, read 1,302,566 times
I work for one of the large banks and covering up the tattoos is required, even for positions where customer interaction doesn't occur.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 AM

660 posts, read 1,394,316 times
I'm Pro-Tattoos and Piercings, but if it comes down to being employed vs. getting a body mod I'd go with the employment. Unless they can prove they will never have to rely on having to interview for a job, then a Job>Tattoo.

And of course, I agree with the other posts that recommend to have it done in a place that is easily covered up with clothes.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:13 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,127,583 times
My wife works in the dental industry and has to cover her forearm tattoo. I've been working in the architectural/engineering biz since '96 and have visible tattoos if I wear short sleeves, which I regularly do. I've never once had this come up as an issue. However I will not get one that can't be covered up. You know never where you'll be working 5 years from now.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,127,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
A friend's daughter is insisting on a tattoo. He asked me what I though about it. I said it seemed like a simple question of economics. That would automatically eliminate you from working certain jobs in Phoenix.

I though maybe we could put our heads together and come up with a list of employers, who will not allow visible tattoos or piercings.

Anyone care to start?
If the daughter is 'insisting' on a tattoo then I assume she's under 18 (otherwise she wouldn't need his permission). If your friend has concerns tell him that he should not give in and that she has to wait until she is of age. If by chance she is 18+ then she's getting a tattoo no matter what...she just wants daddy's approval. Just let her know that tattoo removal is much more painful and expensive than getting one done.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:22 AM

102 posts, read 413,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
in today's work places, employers shy away from any appearance that might be disgusting to some people and want employees to look "professional".
Lately since moving to Scottsdale I've seen tattoos on young people in jobs that totally surprise me. Customer Service is the most often I've seen it. The hotels may not permit it but there are PLENTY of jobs that do. And I'm still amazed.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:23 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,239,939 times
Had a friend that worked for Playboy Video, Yes that Playboy Video. She told me that Tattoos and peircings are looked down upon in the industry. She had one girl that was a rising star so to speak. This chick came back to work one day with a sleeve (For those not in the know, her left arm was completly done from the shoulder to the elbow area.) That ended her career with Playboy.

I work in a Hospital although it is not in the Phoenix area. Many hospitals don't want them visible. We have a earing policy in place as well, only 1 to an ear. Not that I care, I don't have any. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area