U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-28-2010, 08:40 AM

267 posts, read 236,072 times
phoenixscorpiogirl, while we don't always agree on everything , I hope you find something new really soon, and are happier there. I have found that situations like this are much more an opportunity than a hinderance. Keep a good attitude, and go find a place to work where you will be appreciated and wanted. Places like that still exist, they are just harder to find. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-28-2010, 09:10 AM

8,119 posts, read 9,622,053 times
So sorry to hear about your job loss. Sounds like a disfunctional company and I hope you find another one soon. Tough job you have.

Unread 09-28-2010, 10:35 AM

96 posts, read 143,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am so sorry to hear this. I was hoping I was wrong. Arizona only pays $240 a week for unemployment so I hope you find something soon. I have faith in you that you will.
Wow. When I was unemployed in 1992 during a major recession, that was my "pay" through unemployment. Incredible that it hasn't gone up in 18 years.

I too am sorry for your situation OP but you'll find something soon, and because you have a minor child they're not going to let you starve or go homeless. Where I recently came from in Oregon, they have something called rental assistance for single parents with children, the elderly and the disabled. I wonder if AZ has the same thing.

Of course, I don't think that it will come to that. Becoming a CNA sounds like a good idea. Do it while you're young and can still lift people and/or use an apparatus that lifts people. Nursing homes are notorious for their treatment of employees too, but there are still good ones. My mother was in assisted living recently in a great place, and the help there was happy and very good at their work.

Unread 09-28-2010, 11:12 AM

1,128 posts, read 836,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am so sorry to hear this. I was hoping I was wrong. Arizona only pays $240 a week for unemployment so I hope you find something soon. I have faith in you that you will.
Thanks, and I think the benefit is actually 265 with the fed stimulus money (big difference...I know..lol )
But it's certainly not enough to live on.

Unread 09-28-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
phoenixscorpiogirl, while we don't always agree on everything , I hope you find something new really soon, and are happier there. I have found that situations like this are much more an opportunity than a hinderance. Keep a good attitude, and go find a place to work where you will be appreciated and wanted. Places like that still exist, they are just harder to find. Good luck.
Thanks JA... while unexpected, I do appreciate it
And your right about places like that being hard to find.

I was looking up different definitions of "at will" work states, and found that states vary in the law itself. But what it basically boils down to is a person can get fired for anything or nothing and there's nothing to protect someone who is doing their job. (Except in clear cut cases of discrimination and whistle blowing retaliation)
Thats pretty shi*** to have such a stupid law in this country. I mean, Ive known about it before, but not as much as now for obvious reasons, Ive only gotten fired once before in my life and the other time were when I was really young and probably did deserve it..for tardiness or something like that ...When someone is doing a good job and a company is even praising them and allowing overtime one doesn't expect it. Its no wonder people turn to crime, or on a less extreme level just give up and do half as*ed jobs.
I just don't understand it .

Unread 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM

12,997 posts, read 14,374,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Thanks JA... while unexpected, I do appreciate it
And your right about places like that being hard to find.

I was looking up different definitions of "at will" work states, and found that states vary in the law itself. But what it basically boils down to is a person can get fired for anything or nothing and there's nothing to protect someone who is doing their job. (Except in clear cut cases of discrimination and whistle blowing retaliation)
Thats pretty shi*** to have such a stupid law in this country. I mean, Ive known about it before, but not as much as now for obvious reasons, Ive only gotten fired once before in my life and the other time were when I was really young and probably did deserve it..for tardiness or something like that ...When someone is doing a good job and a company is even praising them and allowing overtime one doesn't expect it. Its no wonder people turn to crime, or on a less extreme level just give up and do half as*ed jobs.
I just don't understand it .
Summing it up, under at will employment, you can fire someone for no reason, for a good reason, but not for a "bad" reason (contrary to law or stated public policy). I don't know that I'd call it "stupid", but I've not been in your situation. As many others have advised you, best to turn this into an opportunity for something positive, take what you have learned from this (read hollytree's excellent post, for example) and move on.

Unread 09-28-2010, 11:45 AM

6,086 posts, read 9,248,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Thats pretty shi*** to have such a stupid law in this country.
Sorry, I don't agree. I think the saw is perfectly fine. Companies would be driven into the ground if they were forced to keep employees on the payroll that they didn't want. Drive the companies under, and you lose the jobs as well. Win the battle, lose the war. You were fired because somebody made a business decision to cut you loose for whatever reason. It doesn't really matter what the reason was. It could be they were just incompetent, in which case you don't want to work for them anyway. Look forward to your next opportunities and don't dwell on the past.

Unread 09-28-2010, 12:12 PM

8,520 posts, read 4,071,768 times
I have been laid off twice in a 12 month period (and counting). The first time was much like the scenerio you discribed, this current time it wasn't.

I too am on unemployment, and have told outright by my person that I have to report into every two weeks that AZ unemployment is bankrupt and quite frankly I will run out of benefits before finding another job. She said that nobody is really hiring and a good number of help wanted adds are "fishing" adds.

If you read the AZ central @ 3 wks ago, it was reported that unemployment figures of 9.6% isn't accuracte. That % doesn't include college kids that graduated that are not finding a job, people whose unemployment benefits expired and not extended, people who have taken early retirement due to the unability of finding a job, and people who are well under employed. Take those into account and it's more around the 18%.

It also went on to say that the 18% would be greater if taken the number of people leaving AZ, or looked at from another view, that the unemployment #'s should be less if the exodus is taken into account. However, being the exodus is occuring and yet the offical unemployment number is @ 10% is indicating that the economy is actually getting worse.

The upside (long term) is that with the exodus occuring when it does turn around there will be a some degree of worker demand. But I'm with you, if I could leave.....I would.

Unread 09-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Summing it up, under at will employment, you can fire someone for no reason, for a good reason, but not for a "bad" reason (contrary to law or stated public policy). I don't know that I'd call it "stupid", but I've not been in your situation. As many others have advised you, best to turn this into an opportunity for something positive, take what you have learned from this (read hollytree's excellent post, for example) and move on.
Yes Im looking for the positive, with that job having been my only income and kids to support I hope and pray something positive does come up. Ill let you know when it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Sorry, I don't agree. I think the saw is perfectly fine. Companies would be driven into the ground if they were forced to keep employees on the payroll that they didn't want. Drive the companies under, and you lose the jobs as well. Win the battle, lose the war. You were fired because somebody made a business decision to cut you loose for whatever reason. It doesn't really matter what the reason was. It could be they were just incompetent, in which case you don't want to work for them anyway. Look forward to your next opportunities and don't dwell on the past.
what about when an employer just doesn't like someone for whatever reason and make up lame excuses to fire them? A person cannot fight it s the "law" and it's "at will" That's not fair, but I guess nothing is anymore.
Your right though, if this is how they treat people I dont want to work there. And Im not going to dwell on it, Im not as PO'd as I was the other day. And hopefully tomorrow Ill be even less so .

Unread 09-28-2010, 02:12 PM

72 posts, read 77,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
If you read the AZ central @ 3 wks ago, it was reported that unemployment figures of 9.6% isn't accuracte. That % doesn't include college kids that graduated that are not finding a job, people whose unemployment benefits expired and not extended, people who have taken early retirement due to the unability of finding a job, and people who are well under employed. Take those into account and it's more around the 18%.
Yikes. I'd hate to see i10 traffic during rush hour when unemployment rates are back to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area