U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2010, 05:44 PM

660 posts, read 778,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
If you read the AZ central @ 3 wks ago, it was reported that unemployment figures of 9.6% isn't accuracte. That % doesn't include college kids that graduated that are not finding a job, people whose unemployment benefits expired and not extended, people who have taken early retirement due to the unability of finding a job, and people who are well under employed. Take those into account and it's more around the 18%.
That is probably very true and also applies across the nation as well. Those other "forgotten" unemployed are usually not taken into account when the figures are mentioned.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:09 PM

5,597 posts, read 5,484,128 times
Phoenixscorpio, as I see it, one of your most important sentences is buried deep in your OP. "I was the only regular staff they had, everyone else was from a temp agency they desperately need people thats another reason why I can't believe they let me go like that." If, in effect, you HAD no supervisor, it's possible the organization you worked for is basically turning over control of their entire operation to this outfit you refer to as a "temp agency."

Different variations on this theme are playing out in all areas of business these days. It's just another version of the very popular practice of "outsourcing." Whomever holds the budget/ultimate responsibility for your organization probably saw some personal advantage to turning the entire shebang over to an outside entity. You say "after I started our Supervisor got moved because she wasn't doing her job right," which makes me suspect even that had something to do with the temp agency. First they took over the "supervision," then they decided that since you weren't one of "their people," you had to go, too. You are a person in a position to compare "what it used to be like versus what it's like now," and these outsourcing operations would usually rather shoot themselves in the foot than take the chance someone is around to call them on their inadequacies (which you have already revealed that you are prone to do). I've seen more than one employee who does great work be dismissed because they observed and spoke up about other people who aren't doing their job correctly. No, it's not fair -- in fact it's not even in the interest of efficiency -- but it happens all the time. Any day of the week, managers will keep layabouts they like personally over good workers they don't like.

Companies that dismiss people in your position find it easier to get rid of the "old guard" in one fell swoop, rather than taking the time to win you over and/or incorporate you into their team, no matter how valuable an employee you might be. For all they know, you might have some allegiance to the old supervisor or you might know where some bodies are buried, for which they want to be able to declare plausible deniability. This is especially likely if it's at all shaky that they are being given the reins of this entire operation (is this, for instance, a private company that is now doing what used to be government work?). They want no one in place to question them or draw attention to their activities, so they start afresh.

I've held a variety of positions in what corporations deem "support functions" and I've been around more than once when entire corporate departments are displaced in favor of privately run outsourcing. I've also done freelance work for companies that later decide rather than have a group of independent freelancers, they wanted an agency, so they no longer even have to supervise their freelancers. Common sense would tell you that adding layers of management rarely results in cost savings, but people who trying to escape responsibility usually care more about their own comfort than spending their organization's funds. It eventually catches up with them, but in the meantime they've usually given themselves enough peace and quiet that they are able to find more lucrative jobs. And the agency they hire usually helps them gin up some paperwork that will make it look like they are providing cost savings.

My most important advice to you would be: Try to secure unemployment compensation BEFORE you rock the boat in any way over this.

-Immediately try to get your former employers to write you a letter of recommendation so you have some proof in writing that you did no harm.
-Go to whatever person was nicest to you there, remind them that at one time they complimented your work, and just ask for something in writing that indicates you did your job adequately while you were there.
-Don't show any bitterness while you speak with them, no matter how much you think they might empathize with your plight.
-Then apply for unemployment ASAP, which you might be turned down for if someone decides to claim you were dismissed for cause. If you are turned down, appeal immediately.
-Take the unemployment even if you only need it for a single week. What you are doing is establishing legal precedent that you were "laid off" and NOT "fired for cause."
-Check with unemployment to see if they are able to help you financially with that certification you are interested in. Last time I talked to someone in AZUI, Maricopa Co. still had funds for some "education" programs to help the unemployed be more marketable.
-AFTER you are safely in a more secure situation, then decide if you still want to pursue a wrongful dismissal case. The most you could hope for would be a small settlement; since you didn't work there very long, it ain't gonna be much. I totally understand your anger -- you may be quite right in principle. But Arizona legislators have proven time and again that they don't care much about principles when it's individual workers who are being damaged by corporations.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:19 PM

14,198 posts, read 17,763,745 times
They can claim she was dismissed for cause--or actually, for unemployment, "misconduct in connection with the employment". But they may not be able to prove that as defined by the regulations. I agree that there is NO reason to ruffle their feathers or rock the boat at this point. But, I still see no basis for a wrongful discharge action.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,731,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Well, as some of you know I had recently left one job to work @ a new one that paid more and had better benefits.
I work in health care, specifically behavioral health. Basically I worked in one of their homes watching over people that were mentally ill, (schizophrenia) some were there for attempted murder while off their meds...and there was a lot more work such as reports and daily progress notes that were never ending. Also, sometimes us Techs had to drive them around to stores and errands and such.
Well, shortly after I started our Supervisor got moved because she wasn't doing her job right. I had complained to the co coordinator about how things were disorganized and I couldn't find certain documents etc. Plus the place was a mes and dirty so I helped organize everything and cleaned up then they had me doing the supervisors job as well as my own.
Soon, I started to get a little overwhelmed (being new also and leaning all the different reports due every month) but I worked a lot of overtime too. I let the new coordinator (who just got promoted) that I felt I was falling behind on my work and needed some help from other staff they had filling in. They were just telling me the other week how great I was doing, and thanking me so much yada yada yada.
So I was shocked when suddenly they met me at the house -after having me go to a staff meeting no less- and let me know I was being terminated because I wasn't meeting their expectations!
I couldnt believe it, as they were giving me these couple of lame reasons(which I had previously addressed about the work basically being overwhelming) I thought at first I was getting a warning-but no-nothing. Just like that after all the fuc**** work I did for them and all the overtime they totally blindsided me.
I was very upset and still am, I want to file a complaint. I know this is an "at will"work state but what about the fact that I was having to do work other than the job I was hired for? After all, I wasn't hired as a supervisor. And I was the only regular staff they had, everyone else was from a temp agency they desperately need people thats another reason why I can't believe they let me go like that. And not only that the clients were upset to see me getting my stuff as I was walked to the front door...OMG like I was gonna start throwing punches I'm not that stupid.
I just feel so disillusioned-I should have listened to my friend Las Vegas Drunk ...now I am out of a job and a single parent. I applied for unemployment but I just am tired of working my ass off for A-holes that treat people like crap, even after going to college and working hard, its like its all for nothing.
I am seriously thinking of leaving Az..I love the beauty of the state but am getting fed up!
Sorry to sound like such a whiner I just needed to get this off my chest

Don't look at what you think they did to you, look at what you can do to get the job you want. Learn from this and move on.

busta

Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM

96 posts, read 180,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They can claim she was dismissed for cause--or actually, for unemployment, "misconduct in connection with the employment". But they may not be able to prove that as defined by the regulations. I agree that there is NO reason to ruffle their feathers or rock the boat at this point. But, I still see no basis for a wrongful discharge action.
All she has to do in that case is explain the situation very carefully to the UI office. I had to do that once many years ago, and they decided in favor of me. The small company I worked for was run by a couple of nutcases, and it was very clear. I don't think the OP will have any trouble, especially if she follows the excellent advice of Jukesgrrl.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,605,775 times
You know, I had this sort of same blindsided firing happen to me when I was young. I was SO upset and couldn't understand why the did that to me. (This is where you look in the mirror and go, "why did this happen? I'm a good person.") Of course, on hindsite I understood the two wimp men I worked for were threatened by me and were afraid I'd end up doing better than them. They really shafted me bigtime on the job, too, and literally made it hard for me to succeed at all by not giving me all the tools to work with and absolutely no help or information on how to do the job at all.
You could be the best worker there, do your job correctly but someone is threatened by you or just plain doesn't like you underneath it all. Maybe by being honest that things there weren't put in place well could have threatened someone there, and they are afraid it will reflect on them? There are some very anxiety ridden folks that get to be in managment often after all.
Yeah, it's unfair. Yeah, it's sh*t situation but you can rise above this one and do better for yourself than stay at a job where they treat you the way you were treated. I did...and you can, too. Take this as a life lesson and try to just move on. Look forward...you sound alot better than the creeps who blindsided you, anyway.
Good luck and God bless, girl.

(By the way, my next job after the royal shafting I got, I more than doubled my salary; so, I won in my mind...but then I was so darn mad about what happened still that I really went for it all the way and pushed myself to be the best person I could be in that new job. It paid off, anyway.)

Old 09-29-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QERose View Post
All she has to do in that case is explain the situation very carefully to the UI office. I had to do that once many years ago, and they decided in favor of me. The small company I worked for was run by a couple of nutcases, and it was very clear. I don't think the OP will have any trouble, especially if she follows the excellent advice of Jukesgrrl.

I agree. I used to work in the UI area, my now foggy memory of the regulations tells me that the applicant was not "discharged for misconduct" under the circumstances she describes, and would be eligible. Even if the employer checks a different box in the initial inquiry, and the deputy makes the wrong determination initially, it's an easy appeal if the regulations are on her side. You don't get to go sit in the UI office and talk to someone any more, so a mistake might happen initially, but hopefully not.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:40 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,300,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Very few people who are terminated ever feel the termination was justified.
That's because many times it is not. I have found that employers today are very empowered to fire people without a really good reason because so many people are unemployed and looking for jobs. They can treat people like cr*p and get away with it. America is really going down the tubes with the rich getting richer and more powerful and the masses getting the scraps that fall off their table. How utterly sad and pathetic.

OP, I hope that you get back on your feet again soon. Hang in there.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:59 AM

1,128 posts, read 948,466 times
Thanks to all of you for your support. I was really upset when I first got canned last week, but I actually feel kind of free now.
I did apply for ui immediately. I have a fancy letter the company gave me stating why I was let go (just stating that I wasn't right for the job!) And I do have one other supervisor who trained me to back me up with a good referral for my next job search.
So,Im just chillin right now. I can get my house in order(it was falling apart while I was working 2 jobs plus overtime!)I can spend more time with my kids (at least for awhile) And I have more time for City Data lol
I may take a couple of cash only care giving jobs until I find something better, and when I have money I may just go get that certificate for CNA. Maybe I can get it paid for, or a loan-thanks Juksgrrl-you give really great advice! And thanks to all of you again. You really know how to make a girl fel better

Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Thanks to all of you for your support. I was really upset when I first got canned last week, but I actually feel kind of free now.
I did apply for ui immediately. I have a fancy letter the company gave me stating why I was let go (just stating that I wasn't right for the job!) And I do have one other supervisor who trained me to back me up with a good referral for my next job search.
So,Im just chillin right now. I can get my house in order(it was falling apart while I was working 2 jobs plus overtime!)I can spend more time with my kids (at least for awhile) And I have more time for City Data lol
I may take a couple of cash only care giving jobs until I find something better, and when I have money I may just go get that certificate for CNA. Maybe I can get it paid for, or a loan-thanks Juksgrrl-you give really great advice! And thanks to all of you again. You really know how to make a girl fel better
Glad things are looking up! Keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area