U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Choose the most desirable place to live:
Litchfield Park 5 16.13%
Avondale 3 9.68%
Mesa 6 19.35%
Goodyear 2 6.45%
Other (Explain) 15 48.39%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:26 AM

23 posts, read 34,670 times
Mesa alone is 150 square miles. You're not going to see half of it in 45 minutes. In all of the burbs, you're going to need to have a few neighborhoods picked out to briefly examine, then plan on driving through them for about 10 minutes or so then heading to the next place.

Another thing I failed to mention that I hate about the West Valley is the sun. If working in the central valley and leaving in the morning, coming home in the evening, the sun is going to be blinding right in your eyes. It's something you can get used to, obviously, because a lot of people live in the West Valley, but this contributes to much more severe traffic jams and quite a few accidents, in my experience.

That isn't to say that the East Valley is traffic- and accident-free, but I think anyone who has extensive experience driving at all times of day in both areas will confirm what I'm saying. I hate driving in the West Valley compared to the East Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,951,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1975 View Post
Wow, thanks fellas.

Do you guys think we can make a pass through my itenerary with spending maybe 45-60 minutes in each place in From Friday to Sunday? We will be trying to gauge the houses, city size, and basic geography.

Friday = Arrive in AZ and look around a bit, head towards Chandler, then Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe
Saturday = Glendale, Peoria, Avondale, and then Goodyear
Sunday = Leave from AZ (west valley) Highway 10
I think that you should also look in Central Phoenix. If schools are a big concern to you I would look (on saturday) only at the houses that are North of Bell Rd. in Glendale and Peoria.

Also..I think it would help you a great deal if you go on a site like ziprealty and enter what you want from a house. If you need a pool and can pay $150,000. You won't need to waste your time looking in areas where the houses start at 200 thousand or where the houses are all goig for 100 thousand.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 AM

83 posts, read 109,654 times
Lots of great feedback. Honestly I don't want to see every bit of the areas I outlined but moreso on the geography and how it's layed out. I think we have an idea of where and what we want.

We plan on renting for 1 year or so to make sure we know where we want to buy but ultimately we're moddest, would like a pool and prefer to be in that 100K to 150K range. I've looked on zillow and realtor.com, they're out there.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:11 AM

13,506 posts, read 15,580,776 times
The geography of the area you are looking at is a huge flat valley (or basin). Street-wise, the entire valley is laid out in a grid. Not much to compare there. Take a look around, sure, but until you have a job here, and know where it is, you really shouldn't commit to any particular location.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:33 PM

81 posts, read 126,766 times
my wife and i just returned from phoenix, we spent part of friday, all day saturday and sunday, and a few hours monday morning driving the city and looking at houses.
using google maps, and a gps, we were pretty well organized, but didn't get to cover near as much of the city as i thought we would. we looked at houses in chandler, mesa, laveen, avondale, gilbert, and a few with phoenix addresses before we ran out of time. we'll definitely need to return at a later date to look at more. all together we hit over 60 addresses.
for the most part, the houses we looked at were from the street. if the driveway had cars, or there were other signs the house was occupied we moved on. if the house had no for sale sign in front we skipped it as well. we knocked on a few doors we weren't sure about, and if someone answered we asked if this was the "zitterkopf" residence and apologized for disturbing the occupants. if the house was empty we looked in windows, went into back yards, and spent a little time looking around.
looks like you are looking a tad bit over our price range, i have a few houses we looked at in the 140-160k price range. if you're interested, i can pm you the list we used. they are in order, you can drive from one to the other with virtually no backtracking.
the website i use to locate properties is Phoenix Real Estate | Phoenix Arizona Real Estate And MLS Search
my main criteria is the house has to have a garage and a pool. we also want a cul-de-sac, so there are many cul-de sac's on our list.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:11 PM

2,948 posts, read 3,458,665 times
Quote:
Saturday = Glendale, Peoria, Avondale, and then Goodyear
When you visit Avondale and Goodyear, I'd do this:
Exit I-10 at 107th Ave, turn right. At the "Y" go left, which is Crystal Gardens Pkwy. At Thomas Rd turn left. At Avondale Blvd/Garden Lakes Pkwy turn right. Turn left at 111th Ave and turn left again at Indian School Rd. Turn right at Wigwam Blvd (this will let you see Litchfield Park). Turn left at Litchfield Rd (not Old Litchfield Rd). Turn left at Thomas Rd. Turn right on Dysart Rd. Turn right on McDowell Rd. Turn right on Bullard Ave. Turn left on Indian School Bypass Rd. Turn left on Pebble Creek Pkwy. Turn right on West Virginia Ave (which turns into Sarival Ave). Turn left on Van Buren St. Turn right on Estrella Pkwy. Follow that all the way up the hill. Turn right at Westar Dr. Turn left at San Miguel. Turn right on Elliot Rd. Turn left at Estrella Pkwy. Turn left (at the "round-a-bout") on Cotton Ln. Drive that to the I-10. That will give you a pretty good overview of Avondale and Goodyear.

Optional but recommended if you have time: Turn left at I-10 (westbound). Exit Verrado Way, turn right. Turn right on Main St (follow it to the right and left just beyond "downtown"). Turn left at School Hill Rd (at the "round-a-bout"). Turn right at Sunrise Ln. Turn right at Indian School Rd. Turn right at Jackrabbit Trail (aka 195th Ave). Follow to the I-10.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 PM
RCR

255 posts, read 498,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
When you visit Avondale and Goodyear, I'd do this:
Exit I-10 at 107th Ave, turn right. At the "Y" go left, which is Crystal Gardens Pkwy. At Thomas Rd turn left. At Avondale Blvd/Garden Lakes Pkwy turn right. Turn left at 111th Ave and turn left again at Indian School Rd. Turn right at Wigwam Blvd (this will let you see Litchfield Park). Turn left at Litchfield Rd (not Old Litchfield Rd). Turn left at Thomas Rd. Turn right on Dysart Rd. Turn right on McDowell Rd. Turn right on Bullard Ave. Turn left on Indian School Bypass Rd. Turn left on Pebble Creek Pkwy. Turn right on West Virginia Ave (which turns into Sarival Ave). Turn left on Van Buren St. Turn right on Estrella Pkwy. Follow that all the way up the hill. Turn right at Westar Dr. Turn left at San Miguel. Turn right on Elliot Rd. Turn left at Estrella Pkwy. Turn left (at the "round-a-bout") on Cotton Ln. Drive that to the I-10. That will give you a pretty good overview of Avondale and Goodyear.

Optional but recommended if you have time: Turn left at I-10 (westbound). Exit Verrado Way, turn right. Turn right on Main St (follow it to the right and left just beyond "downtown"). Turn left at School Hill Rd (at the "round-a-bout"). Turn right at Sunrise Ln. Turn right at Indian School Rd. Turn right at Jackrabbit Trail (aka 195th Ave). Follow to the I-10.
Damn, I'm dizzy just reading your directions...

Old 10-01-2010, 04:04 PM

81 posts, read 126,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
maybe this can help.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?doflg...f&num=200&z=11

Old 10-01-2010, 04:53 PM

2,948 posts, read 3,458,665 times
Quote:
Yeah, one may want to review a map a few times before trying it....

Quote:
maybe this can help.
Well, there is an "error" but, yeah, that could probably help a little....

Old 10-04-2010, 01:52 PM

83 posts, read 109,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuds View Post
my wife and i just returned from phoenix, we spent part of friday, all day saturday and sunday, and a few hours monday morning driving the city and looking at houses.
using google maps, and a gps, we were pretty well organized, but didn't get to cover near as much of the city as i thought we would. we looked at houses in chandler, mesa, laveen, avondale, gilbert, and a few with phoenix addresses before we ran out of time. we'll definitely need to return at a later date to look at more. all together we hit over 60 addresses.
for the most part, the houses we looked at were from the street. if the driveway had cars, or there were other signs the house was occupied we moved on. if the house had no for sale sign in front we skipped it as well. we knocked on a few doors we weren't sure about, and if someone answered we asked if this was the "zitterkopf" residence and apologized for disturbing the occupants. if the house was empty we looked in windows, went into back yards, and spent a little time looking around.
looks like you are looking a tad bit over our price range, i have a few houses we looked at in the 140-160k price range. if you're interested, i can pm you the list we used. they are in order, you can drive from one to the other with virtually no backtracking.
the website i use to locate properties is Phoenix Real Estate | Phoenix Arizona Real Estate And MLS Search
my main criteria is the house has to have a garage and a pool. we also want a cul-de-sac, so there are many cul-de sac's on our list.
Can you provide a breakdown on the places you visited?

Richie, I will reference that when the time comes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area