Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,635 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting case. My father in law passed away 3 years ago, and I occasionally drive his truck. I never speed (at the most 5 mph over when I'm in traffic), though a ticket was mailed to us saying I was going 52 in a 40.

If you know Chandler and Phoenix in general, almost ALL of the surface streets are 45mph. It was also at an intersection, so I may have been caught in between trying to make it through a yellow light, or it might have been someone flying by me.

I ignored the mailed ticket, and someone came to my door, and said are you John, I said no he passed away. He said "John, you have been served" and when I wouldn't take the ticket from his hand he threw it at me and walked away.

I'm not sure how to proceed? The ticket is for my father, so I don't know if I even could pay or go to court. I really think this was bogus, and a total scam because Warner Rd. is 45mph its entire length, except for maybe this mile and they put up intersection radar trap, what a lousy scam. Do I continue to ignore it? Any advice. Thanks

Last edited by blubull; 10-02-2010 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 04:29 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubull View Post
Here is an interesting case. My father in law passed away 3 years ago, and I occasionally drive his truck. I never speed (at the most 5 mph over when I'm in traffic), though a ticket was mailed to us saying I was going 52 in a 40.

If you know Chandler and Phoenix in general, almost ALL of the surface streets are 45mph. It was also at an intersection, so I may have been caught in between trying to make it through a yellow light, or it might have been someone flying by me.

I ignored the mailed ticket, and someone came to my door, and said are you John, I said no he passed away. He said "John, you have been served" and when I wouldn't take the ticket from his hand he threw it at me and walked away.

I'm not sure how to proceed? The ticket is for my father, so I don't know if I even could pay or go to court. I really think this was bogus, and a total scam because Warner Rd. is 45mph its entire length, except for maybe this mile and they put up intersection radar trap, what a lousy scam. Do I continue to ignore it? Any advice. Thanks
Red light camera tickets are the biggest scam around. Read the other threads/posts on c-d about red light camera tickets in az & see for yourself.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:41 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Well, the only person who is going to be expected to appear, and will get his license suspended for not appearing, is your deceased father in law. Somehow I don't think he will care.

Just as an aside-- how come you haven't changed the registration? Do you pay insurance on it like it's your vehicle?

Old 10-02-2010, 04:45 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
You may have a more serious problem on the horizon, Blubull.

If your Father-In-Law passed away three years ago, why is the vehicle still being registered, and renewed, in his name?

My suggestion . . . request a court date and explain the situation to the judge. Be prepared to pay the fine and relinquish the vehicle's plates as continuing to renew the registration of a vehicle to a deceased individual is against the law.

Good Luck

Old 10-02-2010, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,635 times
My mother in law pays the registration, though I pay the insurance because I am the only one that drives it occasionally. I know many of these lights are scams, especially the one they are trying to pass off here in a "40" zone. I guess long term I will be taking the truck permanetly. Do you think I should have my mother in law and I go to a dmv office and transfer title? That's my plan, but what about the ticket. The ticket is from the city of Chandler, I wonder if that means a title change would be ok to do now, and just forget about the ticket?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,424 times
tell them he moved and give them the name of the cemetery, address, row and plot number
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area