Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:25 PM

99 posts, read 148,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
I am just curious as to why you left Canada, and why Phoenix?
I'm glad your liking it here by the way
We will still have a home in Canada, and plan to spend up the 6 months a year in Phoenix, the other 6 months up north.

We have traveled the world, mainly doing home exchanges, since 1993 and thought we may want to move away from that and spend the winters in the sun.

We looked at motorhomes that would work for long duration trips down here - but when comparing motorhome costs vs the low cost of real estate here it wasn't hard to decide on purchasing a second home instead of an RV.

I worked down in Utah, Arizona and California in the early 70's on a feature film crew and love the desert. We looked at California (too expensive) and Utah (too cold in winter) so after spending a week her last Feb - decided to pursue a 6 month exchange.

First to confirm we wanted to live here in the winters, and second to have enough time to look around at different areas around Phoenix.

In the first few days we were hooked. Even with the records highs in September, we found so many things we love here - only wish we could afford to move here permanently.

I know some people may say that the summers are terrible and you can't do much of anything outside - but the reverse is true for most winters in Canada!

And hopefully the Coyotes franchise stays, so we can get our hockey fix whenever we are missing the ice!!

SeaG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Default The museum is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
This post is so true too. So much goes on in this city that it's hard to make the events you want when they're on opposite sides of town.
Also that Pueblo Grande museum is a great museum too. I went there when I was in elementary school for a field trip, this site dates back 1,000 years before Pumpkinvillle (Phoenix) was even thought of. Interesting historical and archeological site in the center of the city.
The museum was great, I couldn't believe the number and size of the native settlements in the area - going all the way back to 300BC. Didn't get out to see the archeaology dig - but will next time we go.

SeaG

Old 10-18-2010, 12:41 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaG View Post
We will still have a home in Canada, and plan to spend up the 6 months a year in Phoenix, the other 6 months up north.

We have traveled the world, mainly doing home exchanges, since 1993 and thought we may want to move away from that and spend the winters in the sun.

We looked at motorhomes that would work for long duration trips down here - but when comparing motorhome costs vs the low cost of real estate here it wasn't hard to decide on purchasing a second home instead of an RV.

I worked down in Utah, Arizona and California in the early 70's on a feature film crew and love the desert. We looked at California (too expensive) and Utah (too cold in winter) so after spending a week her last Feb - decided to pursue a 6 month exchange.

First to confirm we wanted to live here in the winters, and second to have enough time to look around at different areas around Phoenix.

In the first few days we were hooked. Even with the records highs in September, we found so many things we love here - only wish we could afford to move here permanently.

I know some people may say that the summers are terrible and you can't do much of anything outside - but the reverse is true for most winters in Canada!

And hopefully the Coyotes franchise stays, so we can get our hockey fix whenever we are missing the ice!!

SeaG
That is a very interesting observation. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaG View Post
they've worked out an agreement in principle on the lease .... still a lot of potential roadblocks and hurdles to get everything finalized, but this is a huge step and it sounds like the new ownership should be in place within the next month or so

just don't let your northern bretheren hear you speak such blasphemy

Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 PM

Default Still like RVs nonetheless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is a very interesting observation. I hadn't thought of it that way.
We had small motorhomes when our kids were younger, so the idea of the RV is still appealing - but when looking at a motorhome that would handle extended trips we looked at 35-40 foot A class rigs.

A good 2-3 year old one was about $ 125-150,000 and then the fuel costs, maintenance, storage, etc.

With a home here we can still look at other travel while we are down here, but by car/plane and staying in reasonably priced hotels.

SeaG

Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 PM

Default Only in Canada, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
just don't let your northern bretheren hear you speak such blasphemy
Okay, just to be safe I will only wear my Canucks jersey at home!

Eh-okay?

SeaG

Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
oh, you'll be fine down here

I just wouldn't run with a coyotes sweater back there ..... specifically if you are around hamilton, winnipeg or such places ...... there have been some very vocal, very boisterous virtual commentary regarding the whole deal

Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 AM

14 posts, read 23,937 times
Thats great Sea G. I'm going to post my information as well during our first month. Hopefully its as great as yours. We'll be moving in January to Phoenix. Let me know if you find a great doctor and dentist.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:14 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Yes, Phoenix is nice 6 months a year.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Default The same applies to most of Canada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Yes, Phoenix is nice 6 months a year.
It is nice for 6 months a year (or less), the rest of the time... see the attached picture from where we lived for 28 years!!!
Attached Thumbnails
First month in Phoenix-winter-small.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area