Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,244,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I agree with the driving! We've lived here for a couple of years now and until we moved here, my car was always under the 15K/year average. Now I have to get an oil change every couple of months! Based on your prescription drug comment, I take it you are Canadian so I also wanted to add that the rest of your dislikes is not just Phoenix-specific. Glad you are enjoying Phoenix!
Actually, the rest of the LIKES aren't Phoenix-specific either. All those things are available in any metropolitan area of over a million people in the Southwest. And I'd venture to say the concert calendar would be better in several of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 PM

99 posts, read 148,260 times
Default Maybe but we like the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Actually, the rest of the LIKES aren't Phoenix-specific either. All those things are available in any metropolitan area of over a million people in the Southwest. And I'd venture to say the concert calendar would be better in several of them.
Don't like Texas, like California (but too expensive), like Utah but too cold in winter, and love Arizona.

SeaG

Old 10-20-2010, 02:46 PM

83 posts, read 184,898 times
We are relocating to Arizona in 2011. My wife and I are from Central California where 100+ temps were the norm for most of the year and left Cali back in 1994. We moved to Northern Minnesota and while the quality of life is nice, the LONG COLD winters are VERY brutal. You cannot explain how cold it gets up here, you have to experience it.

Having said that we have spent 20 years in Cali and now 15 years in MN; we will take the heat any day over cold. We are expecting day time highs already of 40 degrees. Pretty soon it will be -30. We have to plug our vehicles in at night so they will start or so the blocks don't crack. Kids are made to play outside so long as it don't get colder than -12 degrees.

I'm tellin you we DREAD winters because up here, for 9 months out of the year, it's cold up here. It will mentally break you. You do not get used to it, it is not what you see on movies and TV, cold is cold.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:22 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,969,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1975 View Post
Pretty soon it will be -30.
And last at least 6 months ... with daily blizzards ... visibilities approaching 0 ...

Old 10-20-2010, 08:17 PM

51 posts, read 85,708 times
We have 6 months of nice weather in NJ. 2.5 in the Spring. 2.5 in the Fall. And maybe a combined 1 month of occassional nice days during the remaining months. BUT! There's always rain (usually at least 1-2X/week and humidity 90% of the summer months.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 PM

99 posts, read 148,260 times
Default I agree 100 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1975 View Post
You cannot explain how cold it gets up here, you have to experience it.

Pretty soon it will be -30. We have to plug our vehicles in at night so they will start or so the blocks don't crack.
You do not get used to it, it is not what you see on movies and TV, cold is cold.
I was raised on the prairies, fond memories of hoping the car would start even after the block heater had been plugged in all night!

And the snow coming down faster than you could shovel, etc, etc.

I will take heat any day over that!!

SeaG

Old 10-21-2010, 09:16 AM

83 posts, read 184,898 times
Some people like this weather though, it's just not for us having lived in both climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area