Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 12:38 PM

89 posts, read 447,435 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I work on 51st elliot in ahwatukee. My wife works in ahwatukee too. She goes to ASU. I bought a house (will be done by nov 2007) on 35th ave and baseline coz its close to both of our work place and ASU, phoenix(most of IT jobs-if i change job).

I asked for your guys views about buying a house on 35th ave and baseline. And most of the guys views are its kinda "crime ridden" area. I just had a down payment of 3000. Its not a big issue for me rite now. I am looking for a big house, so houses in tempe, gilbert, scottsdale, chandler are too expensive for my income range. So, the only option I see is, maricopa its far from my work,
but not tat far.

Can you guys please give me your views about my options between maricopa and laveen. I havent visited maricopa yet, but heard its developing, any views??
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM

343 posts, read 547,205 times
There's nothing wrong with the 35th Ave/Baseline area in Laveen. I run into many professionals who have recently moved there. It has a reputation just like any area. Maricopa had a reputation of being a dirty town laden with drunks at one time, but growth is changing their image. Same with Laveen and your area, growth is changing how it looks, and it's proximity over time will be a huge plus! Don't lose your $3k.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:41 PM

89 posts, read 447,435 times
Thanks for your advice. I just looked into maricopa, its just too far from phoenix or the place I work. Mostly i will be sticking with the one in laveen.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:17 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,908,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun196 View Post
Hi all,

I work on 51st elliot in ahwatukee. My wife works in ahwatukee too. She goes to ASU. I bought a house (will be done by nov 2007) on 35th ave and baseline coz its close to both of our work place and ASU, phoenix(most of IT jobs-if i change job).

I asked for your guys views about buying a house on 35th ave and baseline. And most of the guys views are its kinda "crime ridden" area. I just had a down payment of 3000. Its not a big issue for me rite now. I am looking for a big house, so houses in tempe, gilbert, scottsdale, chandler are too expensive for my income range. So, the only option I see is, maricopa its far from my work,
but not tat far.

Can you guys please give me your views about my options between maricopa and laveen. I havent visited maricopa yet, but heard its developing, any views??

I worked on 51st and Elliot for years, I wonder if we worked in the same place For your sake I hope not

Please don't move to Laveen anything is better than that. I worked with a few people on 51st and Eliott that lived in Maricopa.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:58 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,043,565 times
Maricopa has a lot of drug related crime a well. Everywhere in AZ has a lot of crime but it's not like were all dodging bullets. You really, sad to say, get use to it. Chances of it touching you in a harmful way are still slim. The good thing about being in a crowded city. Your house might get broken in to or your car but nothing to bad. I have been in the valley for about 30yrs and have only been broken in to once. Check out the threads through the last couple of weeks for related topics, some have website for checking different things out like crime and weather, etc. Last time I checked Chandler, my suburb which I like, had way more crime than Laveen. Make sure you go into your specific area by street because old Laveen will be a lot different than up where the newer housing is. There is no escaping that in Phoenix, one street bad, one good, it's like that everywhere you go here. I have a friend, like I think I mentioned to you before, that loves Laveen so much she drives 40 min. to work and back to live there, so that has to tell you something.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Maricopa has a lot of drug related crime a well. Everywhere in AZ has a lot of crime but it's not like were all dodging bullets. You really, sad to say, get use to it. Chances of it touching you in a harmful way are still slim. The good thing about being in a crowded city. Your house might get broken in to or your car but nothing to bad. I have been in the valley for about 30yrs and have only been broken in to once. Check out the threads through the last couple of weeks for related topics, some have website for checking different things out like crime and weather, etc. Last time I checked Chandler, my suburb which I like, had way more crime than Laveen. Make sure you go into your specific area by street because old Laveen will be a lot different than up where the newer housing is. There is no escaping that in Phoenix, one street bad, one good, it's like that everywhere you go here. I have a friend, like I think I mentioned to you before, that loves Laveen so much she drives 40 min. to work and back to live there, so that has to tell you something.

If I lived in Laveen I would worry about shopping in the area and putting gas in car, as well as sending my kids to school there.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:48 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,980,173 times
There are some very nice neighborhoods in the laveen area - generally, most areas south of southern aren't really that bad. It is far worse in the areas north of the 10. Laveen is a pretty easy commute, you've got everything you need.

Maricopa is a very nice area, as well. Would absolutely hate to grow up there, though. Nothing to do - except drive an hour to Phoenix. I suppose it is alright for younger families though, familes with kids that don't mind being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:44 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,310,666 times
Laveen is one my favorite areas. Poeple still have horse property there and there is still some of the old Arizona rural feel left. If you can afford to buy a home there, I say its a no brainer - do it!

Old 07-05-2007, 05:01 PM

343 posts, read 547,205 times
Yeah, I agree with _Charles_, even though I live in Pinal County. Laveen doesn't go north of I-10. All of it is south and is considered part of south Phoenix.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I wouldn't live in Laveen or Maricopa if I could buy a 3000 sqft home for 150,000. It's not type of place but others may feel comfortable.Whatever floats your boat. I'm glad I'm not researching from out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area