Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area would appeal to you most to live in
North Phoenix - areas around where I17 & 101 meet 30 63.83%
West Mesa - south of Fiesta Mall near Alma School & Baseline 1 2.13%
East Mesa - west of Spstn Springs Mall, near Southern & Sossaman 9 19.15%
West Glendale - east of 101 near Indian School & 83rd Ave 7 14.89%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:14 PM

54 posts, read 139,820 times

Advertisements

I voted for the area closest to my favorite so far and that was W. Glendale. I actually really like the area just west of 101 and Indian School and have been happy with our move here. We are a young family with 2 toddlers and it seems to be a great place with a lot of things to do close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 07:58 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Quote:
If you can't scrape up $1-$2k for maintenance & repairs, you don't have enough money to buy a house, rent a house, or frankly, enough to live in an apartment.
I can't scrape up 2k right now, and I own a home. So what? I should be homeless?

Seriously, do you have any more nonsense to spout, or are you done yet?

The OP said he has 90k cash to buy a home. He did not say he has 90k plus up to 15k to make all the necessary repairs. If he had that much, he'd probably be looking at 105k homes....

Quote:
Most don't have pools
I think the OP might consider looking at homes without pools....

Old 10-11-2010, 10:11 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I can't scrape up 2k right now, and I own a home. So what? I should be homeless?

Seriously, do you have any more nonsense to spout, or are you done yet?

The OP said he has 90k cash to buy a home. He did not say he has 90k plus up to 15k to make all the necessary repairs. If he had that much, he'd probably be looking at 105k homes....
I think it's nonsense to make blanket statements like you made earlier in this thread - quote below...

Quote:
Well, good luck to you. 90k for a house with a pool? Just remember, you get what you pay for. They are most likely in bad neighborhoods and/or in need of plenty of repairs.
That statement is simply not correct for the area I commented on - it might be true in Gilbert, or Scottsdale, or Duluth MN, but it isn't true in N. Phoenix near the 17 & 101.

I believe the values there have taken a hit that wasn't warranted based on the location & quality of the homes and neighborhoods. Many of these homes are currently selling for less than they sold for new in the mid-late 1980's when it was a "far-flung" area of town, before the 101 was finished.

Heck, if you flip your MLS over to peek at mobile-home listings on land, you'll see a few of them selling for more than these real houses do.

As for having a couple of thousand bucks in the bank after closing for emergencies & repairs- that was advice I didn't take as a first-time homebuyer, and it was foolish in hindsight. Having a little "cushion" of cash makes a huge difference in your quality-of-life - and since AZ has the 49th lowest payout for unemployment benefits and a very short timeline for evictions & foreclosures, it's only prudent to take care of yourself first by saving before buying/renting a house or apartment.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM

418 posts, read 1,311,763 times
70% of the voters in this poll chose North Phoenix? What is it about N. Phoenix that is so much more attractive than say Mesa? Or is it just that most of you are familiar with that area more so than the East valley?

I have only lived in the east valley over the last 30 years and found Tempe and Mesa to be very relaxing and safe, and easy to get around in. So I will know, tell me why so much support for North Phoenix?

Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
70% of the voters in this poll chose North Phoenix? What is it about N. Phoenix that is so much more attractive than say Mesa? Or is it just that most of you are familiar with that area more so than the East valley?

I have only lived in the east valley over the last 30 years and found Tempe and Mesa to be very relaxing and safe, and easy to get around in. So I will know, tell me why so much support for North Phoenix?
For me, the location works better - the 51 gets me downtown quickly, and the 101 gets the wife to work quickly. The wife and I lived for a while in Chandler and really enjoyed all of the shopping & restaurants, but even the Waffle House & Denny's had lines outside on weekend mornings (it's been a couple of years, it may be different now due to the economy). As for Tempe, I like it just fine, but I've seen very slim pickings there under $100k, though I haven't looked in a while.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
neighborhood - if you don't like the area, I wouldn't waste much time trying to convince you otherwise, except to say that after living in a neighborhood of what once were $400k+ homes, I'd rather have at least a few neighbors who change their own oil and do their own yardwork. It makes you a little more forgiving of your neighbors if you (not your landscaper) have actually spent an afternoon on your knees picking weeds after a rainstorm.

Yup... it's a "class" thing.. Many wealthy people don't have much "class", IMHO.
This class thing can be very true. Also some people in HOA's don't have compassion when you have a few weeds sticking out of your yard and will privately complain to the association right away in some places giving one a fine for lack of maintenance.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:15 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
"North Phoenix - areas around where I17 & 101 meet"

I would consider the happy valley area if I was working in the northern section of town..

Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
That statement is simply not correct for the area I commented on - it might be true in Gilbert, or Scottsdale, or Duluth MN, but it isn't true in N. Phoenix near the 17 & 101.
I stand by my statement. A home with a pool for 90k near the Loop 101 and I-17 will be in a bad neighborhood and/or need some work. You get what you pay for.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Default 4367803

Quote:
I stand by my statement. A home with a pool for 90k near the Loop 101 and I-17 will be in a bad neighborhood and/or need some work. You get what you pay for.
Lookie what popped on MLS today - $88k for 1500 square feet with a pool. Not a short-sale either, pm if you want the mls number.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Lookie what popped on MLS today - $88k for 1500 square feet with a pool. Not a short-sale either, pm if you want the mls number.
What neighborhood is it in? What condition is it in? I never said that homes in that price range didn't exists, but that all of them were a) needing repairs, b) in a bad neighborhood and/or c) short sales.
I tried to find it on MLS but couldn't. So I will go by your word on the neighborhood and condition.

Also, what happened to:
Quote:
There are some nice places in N. Phoenix near the 17 and the 101 where you could get what the OP wants and probably have $10k+ left for beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area