U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-07-2010, 12:15 AM

7,571 posts, read 14,160,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Another reason to get Cable! Unless you are interested in the NFL's Sunday ticket, it's simply not worth getting satellite. I have both and my satellite lost service yesterday with the weather and that's happened 4-5 times this summer already. I only have DirecTV in addition to Cox for the NFL. That's it. I refuse to give up my Cox cable service which is the most reliable and efficient service.
Good point, AZRiverFan.

I dumped Dish a few years ago and switched to Cable mainly due to lousy or no service during heavy monsoon storms, especially Baseball . . . the time I am most likely to be watching TV.

Cable is not perfect but performs much better during storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-07-2010, 07:02 AM

10,093 posts, read 10,384,256 times
So I called Dish and asked about early termination and when they expect to get Fox channels back. One big issue is this happened without warning from Dish. As far as I can tell the will not be getting it back anytime soon. I asked the CSR that since they were not giving me what I paid for weren't they violating the contract? She stated "your contract says that prices and channels may change at any time". She then went on to say "we've added channels in the last year" to which I said "and you've raised the prices as well so don't act like Dish did me any favors". I said "following that since I've lost channels is Dish reducing my bill accordingly?" ..... Of course not!
This is like buying a car then they come and take your tires but you still have to pay for it all even though you can no longer use it through no fault of your own.
The upshot is I have to pay an early term fee equal to 1 1/2 months bill BUT I then called cable and I'm getting more channels, high speed internet and phone for $10 more than I'm paying Dish.
Guess which way this is going to go? All options suck it's just some suck less than others...

Unread 10-07-2010, 08:19 AM

6,086 posts, read 9,273,279 times
Interesting discussion. We got NPG cable when we first moved to AZ four years ago. We don't have Cox here. I don't remember all the details, but the channel selection and packages sucked. We hated it and dumped it in favor of Dish. Dish has been extremely reliable for us, we've never lost service even in the largest storms. But I'm getting really weary of the channel selection constantly changing out from underneath us. Shoot we only watched one show a week, and that was Sons of Anarchy. Before that was Dexter, but we lost that too for some reason. So what's the point any more. Time to move on. I'm glad to see people are "voting with their feet", and not settling for this crap. Maybe these TV providers will get the message that their customers are more important than playing silly politics with their content providers.

Unread 10-07-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Interesting discussion. We got NPG cable when we first moved to AZ four years ago. We don't have Cox here. I don't remember all the details, but the channel selection and packages sucked. We hated it and dumped it in favor of Dish. Dish has been extremely reliable for us, we've never lost service even in the largest storms. But I'm getting really weary of the channel selection constantly changing out from underneath us. Shoot we only watched one show a week, and that was Sons of Anarchy. Before that was Dexter, but we lost that too for some reason. So what's the point any more. Time to move on. I'm glad to see people are "voting with their feet", and not settling for this crap. Maybe these TV providers will get the message that their customers are more important than playing silly politics with their content providers.
Loss of SOA was the deal killer for me, especially when you had to buy an upper tier to get FX to begin with!

Unread 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM

7,571 posts, read 14,160,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So I called Dish and asked about early termination and when they expect to get Fox channels back. One big issue is this happened without warning from Dish. As far as I can tell the will not be getting it back anytime soon. I asked the CSR that since they were not giving me what I paid for weren't they violating the contract? She stated "your contract says that prices and channels may change at any time". She then went on to say "we've added channels in the last year" to which I said "and you've raised the prices as well so don't act like Dish did me any favors". I said "following that since I've lost channels is Dish reducing my bill accordingly?" ..... Of course not!
Damn shame, isn't it, Jimj?

Far too many businesses have a problem with the term AGREEMENT nowadays.

As far as I'm concerned . . . both sides need to AGREE to change any portion of an AGREEMENT, however, businesses feel they are able to change their end of the bargain while we are forced to abide by the initial rules.

Unread 10-08-2010, 08:34 AM

Wasn't the original idea of letting these companies in to create competition and stop the monopoly?
It seems to me that's exactly where we are now, a monopoly run by the big 3.

Unread 10-08-2010, 08:42 AM

4,959 posts, read 6,444,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Another reason to get Cable! Unless you are interested in the NFL's Sunday ticket, it's simply not worth getting satellite. I have both and my satellite lost service yesterday with the weather and that's happened 4-5 times this summer already. I only have DirecTV in addition to Cox for the NFL. That's it. I refuse to give up my Cox cable service which is the most reliable and efficient service.
I had Dish for several years and enjoyed it. But I'm not a sports person. We switched to cable a little over a year ago. Mainly so we could get a local channel. I'm in western Ky and they consider Nashville, Tn. local for us. A station in Paducah, Ky. abpout 50 miles away, wasn't able to be on our Dish. Cable has it. Plus we got cable, phone and internet for $99/month for the first year. The year is over and we're paying around $129/month. Great service too! We're getting more or less the same channels we had on Dish.

Unread 10-13-2010, 07:28 AM

So the hits keep on coming, I canceled dish last night and not only did they charge me $180 they ALSO told me that if I use the shipping labels in the return boxes I'll be charged $15 per label. I asked if this is because I cancelled and was told "no matter why you return a box you'll pay".
What a scam!!!!
Never again will dish see my $$$, I'll go direct or cable or a clothes hangar first!

Unread 10-13-2010, 09:28 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,203,756 times
Dish did not "decide" to drop anything in it's programming. Fox and Mr Murdoch pulled the plug on those channels because Dish refused a 50% rate increase from Fox. Fox is holding those channels hostage until a deal can be worked out. So people are jumping ship and bad mouthing Dish, who is actually working on behalf of their customers to keep rates down. In the mean time, the media blitz against Dish has been paid for by Hughes Electronics who operates Directv and is owned in part by guess who? Rupert Murdoch. And Dish is the bad guy here? Right...

Unread 10-13-2010, 09:44 AM
RCR

251 posts, read 474,067 times
[quote=jimj;16172866]
This is like buying a car then they come and take your tires but you still have to pay for it all even though you can no longer use it through no fault of your own.
quote]

It is only like that if when you buy the car the agreement says they can come and take your tires at any time.

We are all at the mercy of our providers as I believe they all state that channels can change at any time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: