Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Mine and my friends kids don't go out in summer except to swim,or at night or early in the morning.
Thats why no one is at the parks during the summer between like 11:00 AM and 6 PM...its too hot to enjoy.
That is true but it's our version of winter. Everyone makes adjustments to their worst weather period. Do you think people in Chicago are out during 11 AM to 6 PM in January? Forget Chicago, when I was in Oklahoma, people were not outside during that time in the winter. The nice thing is that kids can engage in activities late in the evening or the early morning in the summer whereas kids in cold places can't do the same in their respective mornings and evenings because the weather gets even more cold during those times. And for adults, most of us are working in air conditioned indoor space from 11 AM to 6 PM during the summer so it doesn't really impact me or most working adults here. Sure maybe on the weekends, it can be a challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 07:33 AM

31 posts, read 43,080 times
I don't live there yet..(planning on next spring/summer), but I did notice that when my cousin and I took a mini trip to Phoenix in March of 2008, the weather was not like I was expecting. I was totally floored when we got there because it was in the 70s in Phoenix, but I was shivering with a jacket on and wanting my coat. Now mind you, when I left Detroit, it was in the low 30s and on our way to the airport the freeways were slick with ice, so we just barely avoided an accident by sliding off the exit. I'm thinking....oh my, I can't wait to leave here and get in the sun.....well, the joke was on me!!!

Oh yeah...and for some reason...I noticed I needed to drink more water during our March mini-trip (3 days) than on our August 7 day last year. I got two headaches from dehydration in March even though I had guzzled more water than I ever thought I could while in the D. Go figure! At least now I know to be prepared with water and I won't forget because I learned the hard way. I love the beauty of that place though....can't wait to call it home.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:46 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I've been here one month and couldn't be happier. I've noticed:

1. How FRIENDLY and relaxed people are.
2. How easy it is to make FRIENDS and find people to do stuff with.
3. How many DOGS there are! An amazingly high number of people have a dog or more than one.
4. How CLEAN everything is (FAR less trash floating around... resort area).
5. How SMOOTH the freeways and roadways are! This is a blessing coming from CA and OR where the roads are pathetic.
6. How QUICKLY everything dries: towels, clothing, hair, nail polish!
7. How much better my hair is (less frizz).
8. How it is so much EASIER to live here than elsewhere, even with the heat, dust, etc. issues.
9. Minimal apparent animosity between conservs and libs (at least so far) I've made some Republican friends; we stay away from politics. Interesting how that is much easier here than, say, PDX.
Omg yes, I was in San Diego this summer, hung my towel to dry on the porch after going to the beach, and it still wasn't dry the next day. I've been in Phoenix so long I kept looking around for a sprinkler, or something that was wetting this towel, I finally figured out that it just hadn't dried from yesterday because of the humidity. lol

Old 10-10-2010, 08:51 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rarejewel View Post
I don't live there yet..(planning on next spring/summer), but I did notice that when my cousin and I took a mini trip to Phoenix in March of 2008, the weather was not like I was expecting. I was totally floored when we got there because it was in the 70s in Phoenix, but I was shivering with a jacket on and wanting my coat. Now mind you, when I left Detroit, it was in the low 30s and on our way to the airport the freeways were slick with ice, so we just barely avoided an accident by sliding off the exit. I'm thinking....oh my, I can't wait to leave here and get in the sun.....well, the joke was on me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rarejewel View Post

Oh yeah...and for some reason...I noticed I needed to drink more water during our March mini-trip (3 days) than on our August 7 day last year. I got two headaches from dehydration in March even though I had guzzled more water than I ever thought I could while in the D. Go figure! At least now I know to be prepared with water and I won't forget because I learned the hard way. I love the beauty of that place though....can't wait to call it home.

Well, thats good to hear, I just thought I was a big baby.

I know, and I practically drink lotion for breakfast, it's a sad day when you have to moisturize your eyebrows. lol But better than scrapping ice off them I guess.

Pleasant surprise, for all those woman who straighten their hair, this is paradise! It won't curl again until you shower, or of course sweat, so the summer is a hit or miss but you are good to go the rest of the year.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:03 AM

77 posts, read 296,887 times
My family has just relocated here. We like how laid back and friendly people here are. I love the shopping selections. There are so many places to shop for deals and discounts. The streets look very clean. I love the weather even when it was hitting over 100. The storms were crazy but, it cooled it down. We are having perfect weather right now. Garage sales year around. I like that we still have more to explore.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 PM

37 posts, read 136,638 times
I was surprised by how brutally hot the summers actually are.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Pleasant surprise, for all those woman who straighten their hair, this is paradise! It won't curl again until you shower, or of course sweat, so the summer is a hit or miss but you are good to go the rest of the year.
That is one of the best things ever!!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,145 times
I'm moving to Phoenix/Tempe from NJ (right outside NYC) in July to start graduate school at ASU. I've been to AZ twice before. I can't wait to move!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Omg yes, I was in San Diego this summer, hung my towel to dry on the porch after going to the beach, and it still wasn't dry the next day. I've been in Phoenix so long I kept looking around for a sprinkler, or something that was wetting this towel, I finally figured out that it just hadn't dried from yesterday because of the humidity. lol

Ha! where I come from it would have been dripping droplets!!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
May I ask where you moved from? just curious....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmohr75 View Post
I was surprised by how brutally hot the summers actually are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area