Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM

896 posts, read 267,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
. He felt that once in your house, they could snoop and do whatever they pleased. The camel's nose under the edge of the tent.

So he had something to hide?

If someone broke into my home I would get the police involved. They could look all they want, all they would find is dirty draws and dishes.

Too each their own, I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 07:36 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,857,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
No-- that has a specific meaning that doesn't apply here Murder? They arrested him on suspicion of aggravated assault.
Like I originally stated, the officer has now been charged with murder:

The Associated Press: Phoenix police officer charged with murder

Phoenix police officer charged with murder in fatal shooting | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Phoenix News

Observer53 will send his apologies shortly...

Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,556,256 times
True. I certainly don't give any police officer "God" status. I fear them for the same reasons you describe: That there are some bad apples. You can never tell which one is the bad apple until they deal with you.

I do not trust the police. But I don't trust most people either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Officers are just people, they don't drink some kind of "supper moral juice" when they join the force, there for there are just as many cops that one should fear as there are in public. The majority of civilians are decent, as with the police, but there are criminals in both areas.
I don't expect any different treatment to an officer nor do I expect any different treatment to a civilian being suspected of a crime. If he is guilty then he deserves his punishment, if he is not, then he will get a taste of being wrongly accused, just like a civilian does. No difference really. They often attract people to the force who enjoy using force and weapons, it's no surprise that they have a few nuts in the bowl, but the majority are well meaning. Just like civilians.
With the "hero" mentality you're bound to get a few "villains". Stands to reason.

I don't know why people think civil servants are any different than the normal public, you know I've actually seen a paramedic tell someone to not "barf" in the back of their ambulance before on the way to the emergency room, like they could help it or they were doing it on purpose. I was shocked at the treatment, but like I said, it's the same ratio as the real world, there is no magic moral potion for civil servants.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:29 PM

Thank you.

Conservatives tend to give the police God status. I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post

Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,498,627 times
In all fairness, being charged is much different than being convicted.

Still....

Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,498,627 times
Quote:
Conservatives tend to give the police God status. I don't.
In all fairness, liberals tend to do the opposite, which may actually be twice as bad....

Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 PM

Wrong! Even if your name is Pureheart Pollyanna, having nothing to hide, searches are always bordering on constitutional boundaries. You have a right to privacy. Also when you applaud as government agents knock you down and enter through your door and scour your place, the things you may consider legal today may be deemed illegal tomorrow. Also if they hate the way you look, they can plant some evidence without you knowing.

Anyone quick to trust the gang of thugs known as "government" should high tail it out of this country, for they hate the bill of rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx85339 View Post
So he had something to hide?

If someone broke into my home I would get the police involved. They could look all they want, all they would find is dirty draws and dishes.

Too each their own, I guess

Old 10-14-2010, 08:54 PM

537 posts, read 1,540,407 times
Once invited into your home, they can do anything they want. I guess I'm getting old, but a lot of the police officers look REALLY young to me. My judgement wasn't that great when I was under 30 and still isn't now that I'm over 60. I think many of these officers look a little wet behind the ears. I still read of drug busts where the wads of cash don't seem to make it downtown to the evidence room. I know that most of the officers are squeaky clean and good. I like my privacy and dignity.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:43 PM

896 posts, read 267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Anyone quick to trust the gang of thugs known as "government" should high tail it out of this country, for they hate the bill of rights.
I hope you live on a farm and your life is self sustaining

Old 10-14-2010, 10:12 PM

My life is okay despite the thugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx85339 View Post
I hope you live on a farm and your life is self sustaining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area