U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 AM

743 posts, read 1,109,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
If possibly worth pursuing, I would not count on the police to resolve this matter. With much experience you are likely to discover how worthless they are in such matters, or how little they care.
This is exactly the opposite of what neighbors have experienced in my neighborhood. We had multiple chronic barking dogs and at an HOA meeting our community action police officer (phoenix) was present. His advise was to create a log of the barking and to call and report the incidences. Multiple residents did exactly this and the situation was taken care of promptly. The office even gave everyone his direct line and encouraged us to call him as well. He cared very much and has done a great job.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 12:19 PM

23 posts, read 30,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplym View Post
Let me start by saying I am a dog lover. I am a dog owner, in fact. I am the kind of dog owner that actually TAKES my dog to the dog park, and walks him and let's him INSIDE the house..Apparently my neighbors are not.

I moved here to Gilbert about 4 months back. First night here I did not sleep one wink for the literal "kennel" in the neighborhood. There were at least 5 dogs barking all night. I called the police, put in ear plugs, tried a sound machine AND fan..no good-did not sleep a wink. Not a good start to my new home.

The next day I realized it is not just a night thing. People in this neighborhood leave their dogs outside ALL day and ALL night and they just bark. I don't understand how they and/or their neighbors stand it. Do people here never open their windows let alone like a SECOND of quiet?? It is driving me batty. I am not sleeping, and I am stressed ALL the time. I should mention my husband works from home and this has caused some major issues for him.

Over the following few months I have continued to call the police, leave notes, knock on doors (I tried this first thinking maybe if I asked nicely??). I was told by one neighbor that if I ever came back to their house I would be sorry and they would press charges. I even put out a sonic bark machine..and the main barking culprit STOLE it off my wall. I have no proof of this but it was just gone one day and not in my yard or theirs (and there is no where else it could fall). The police can do nothing but ask them to do something about it. The only next steps I have are to find a neighbor to press formal charges and then you must spend the following weeks (they have six to eight weeks to respond to the charge) tracking the barking and documenting, etc and then you and the other neighbor must take them to court. At this point the judge still may find in their favor. What I am saying here is that I have NO JUSTICE. They can just continue to get away with making everyone miserable listening to their dog bark NON STOP.

One neighbor with a barking dog moved away(that was nice), and others have made a serious effort, but three remain. Two dogs are owned by one and one by another.

I am at my wits end. I get woken anywhere from 4-5AM every day.. I feel like I have tried everything..Any suggestions (Do not recommend any harm to the dog please, it is not the dog's fault. It is the fault of the irresponsible dog owner).

Thank you.
I live in Phoenix, which has an actual dog barking ordinance. But, to get the city to do anything about it, you have to get nieghbors to be a witness for you, that, yes, the neighbor's dogs bark all night long. I have some pretty - lax shall we say - neighbors who don't want to get involved in anything, so I started taking videos of the dogs barking at various hours of the night. THen, I sent the neighbor a letter stating that the dogs are keeping me up all night long (how THEY could stand all that noise, I'll never know) and please do something about it. Nothing. After calling the police several times and nothing happening, I started spraying their dogs with water. See if I could at least get them away from the fence, let them bark on the OTHER side of their house. That did nothing but make them want to play AND bark.

This went on for months. I had never had a problem until they bought a Rottweiler puppy that barked and barked and got the other dog they already had to barking as well. I tried using ear plugs and running a box fan as "white" noise at night. It helped - a little - but basically, I was getting no sleep.

I had enough. If the police weren't going to do anything about it and the city was going to make it next to impossible to do anything about it, I was going to do something. I bought a HUGE boom box. I found a radio station playing grotesque music. I mean, I don't know how ANYONE can like that stuff. I put it out on the side of my house one night on a chair, aimed directly at the neighbor's windows - after their dogs started barking again. I left it on all night long at the loudest setting it could go. I went to bed and thought nothing of it - excepting of course they could have called the police on me for noise nuisance, at that point I didn't care. I was a walking zombie for lack of sleep. Police wanted to mess with me, I would point the finger right back at the neighbor's.

Well, as far as I know, the police were either never called or never bothered with me, who knows, my bedroom is 75 feet away from the front door, they would have had to make a LOT of noise for me to even hear them at the front door. I never knew, really, it is still kind of a wonder whether those people did or did not call the police on me. Regardless, the next day, they were out there, putting up a fence in their yard.

They were following my suit. You see, I have 4 dogs. 2 of them are Great Danes. When they bark, the world can hear it. I don't leave my dogs out at night, they sleep on their own bed in my bedroom. When the problem first started, my dogs were 'fence-fighting' with their dogs. I didn't want that kind of thing going on, so I split my side yards in half, so to speak, with a 4 foot chain link fence. This was for daytime stuff - I was at work and they were going at it all day long. I fenced them well away from that neighbor's fence and that issue was taken care of. I wasn't asked by anyone to do it, either, it's the only reasonable, respectful thing to do. But, many people are neither reasonable or respectful. They don't care about anyone else but their own little existences.

They put up that fence and the issue was - pretty much - dealt with. The Rottweiler is totally ignored by it's owners, it actually only wants attention. It occasionally tears down the fence and then I have to deal with the noise again. If it goes on too long (like days), I pull out the boom box again. Usually it takes about 10 minutes of THAT kind of noise before they are out there repairing the fence.

I really kind of hated to have to go to that extreme to get them to take care of their dogs, but - when you lose enough sleep over a long enough period of time, well, you will understand where I'm coming from.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:01 AM

523 posts, read 532,370 times
Many people in the area have barking dog neighbor problems like this. Be glad that you have the choice to move if you want. Many people who have decided to buy, find out the hard lesson not only on in-progress falling values, but also on being trapped for years with a neighbor's dog nightmare they cannot solve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area