Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:34 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,031 times

Advertisements

Get the roadrunner to take care of it. haha, but really you can't stop the coyotes from going into your yard. They do what they do to survive and if that means roaming in the city, they sure as well will do so. We've lost 4 cats and almost a dog to these coyotes but never have they harmed or even threatened me in any way. And there's 4 coyote dens in a ravine in our backyard. Fences on the other hands serve as an obstical but not a barrier. We've had coyotes walking on a fence 7 feet tall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 10:53 AM

82 posts, read 205,486 times
Twiggy,
You really do need to talk to someone, don't do it for me, do it for all the people who have come in contact with you whom you no doubt have offended over the years, but mostly do it for yourself. Your thoughts are not only offensive, but totally off point. Being a vegetarian was your choice, don't make the rest of the world your canvas for approval of this decision. I'm not even going to get into the complexity of farmed animals vs wild animals, this was not even a point here. First of all it is not easy living with the fact that you have killed a living creature, I doubt you will identify this as legitimate. Second if you do kill the coyote, do you think that will be the end of it? No as more will come, so when will the killing end? There are always alt. solutions to aggressive actions that will suit almost all parties concerned, except perhaps you. Many others have offered valuable alts. to this problem yet you insist on killing. PLEASE do us all a favor and don't reply anymore to this post, you are not constructive at all, just abusive.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:20 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
so let me get this straight, hunting them to protect a dairy farm of cows you let someone else torture and kill so you can eat a steak or have some of their kids milk is fine or, a little ok, but shooting one that comes into your yard and eats your dog isn't? If I went into their den they would try and kill me, and I would expect it. They don't think of themselves as fuzzy sort of pet coyotes. They know they could be hurt jumping over that fence, and so would we.
I couldn't agree with you more. If a Coyote attacked my Dog, I will hunt it down and shoot it. I don't care about it's usefulness or it's beauty. My Dog is my family and family always comes first. I guess none of you who strongly defend the Coyote own any dogs or you would probably change your stance. I have seen (unfortunately) what a Coyote does to a Dog and it's horrific and it's not just small dogs they attack either, so there might be no more protection if you get a bigger one and they are determined to kill your Dog.

And although I'm not a Vegetarian, I have seen how cows are violently treated to become food on our plates (I rarely eat meat and when I do I feel guilt). Why aren't you who attack Twiggy concerned that humane treatment isn't given to Cows sent to slaughter or forced to live in filthy, sick inducing conditions to produce milk? Yet you guys have all the kindness and sympathy for a predator Coyote who invades someone's personal space to brutally attack a small dog and have a violently bloody "meal". Real logical and righteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sells500 View Post
. You should know this before moving here and if you really love your pet will seek better ways to protect them then killing another animal...it's called fences people...buy one install it problem solved.
No the problem is not solved. As has been pointed out to you, Coyotes can scale a fence and jump it if they want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
We've lost 4 cats and almost a dog to these coyotes but never have they harmed or even threatened me in any way. And there's 4 coyote dens in a ravine in our backyard. Fences on the other hands serve as an obstical but not a barrier. We've had coyotes walking on a fence 7 feet tall.
When a Coyote or two was roaming my neighborhood recently, we were told that they have no interest in Humans, only Dogs and Cats. The stories told were if you saw a Coyote you jump around and wave your hands and then they run away.

Last edited by ladysovereign; 10-16-2010 at 03:43 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sells500 View Post
PLEASE do us all a favor and don't reply anymore to this post, you are not constructive at all, just abusive.
PLEASE speak for yourself....

Old 10-16-2010, 03:42 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. If a Coyote attacked my Dog, I will hunt it down and shoot it. I don't care about it's usefulness or it's beauty. My Dog is my family and family always comes first.
That NOT what this thread is about. Look at the title. This thread is about keeping coyotes out of your backyard. The answer is NOT to try to eradicate coyotes off the face of the earth. This answer IS put up a fence.
Quote:
And although I'm not a true Vegetarian, I have seen how cows are violently treated to become food on our plates. No humane treatment given to Cows, but kindness and sympathy for a predator Coyote who invades someone's personal space to brutally attack a small dog and have a violently bloody "meal". Yeah, real logical and righteous of you guys.
Totally off the subject.
Quote:
No the problem is not solved. As has been pointed out to you, Coyotes can scale a fence and jump it if they want to.
They could, but as a rule they do not. My neighborhood is surrounded by open desert on all sides, and almost everyone of my neighbors have small dogs. We have 5' block walls. At night we can hear often hear coyotes yapping in the desert. And yet, not one dog has ever been attacked in my neighborhood. It's NEVER HAPPENED. How totally stupid it would be if folks went nuts and tried to kill every coyote in the state because of something that rarely if ever happens. Fences work FINE. Coyotes have plenty of natural prey without jumping your fence to get Fluffy in your backyard. The whole idea is ludicrous.

If your backyard is well fenced in and a coyote gets in, then have at it. Otherwise, leave nature alone. It's very simple, really.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
That NOT what this thread is about. Look at the title. This thread is about keeping coyotes out of your backyard. The answer is NOT to try to eradicate coyotes off the face of the earth. This answer IS put up a fence.
I can read just fine. I was answering the comments attacking Twiggy as I agree with her. You don't like it, too bad. And NO, a fence alone is not the answer and you are misleading the OP with that suggestion.

Quote:
Totally off the subject.They could, but as a rule they do not. My neighborhood is surrounded by open desert on all sides, and almost everyone of my neighbors have small dogs. We have 5' block walls. At night we can hear often hear coyotes yapping in the desert. And yet, not one dog has ever been attacked in my neighborhood. It's NEVER HAPPENED. How totally stupid it would be if folks went nuts and tried to kill every coyote in the state because of something that rarely if ever happens. Fences work FINE. Coyotes have plenty of natural prey without jumping your fence to get Fluffy in your backyard. The whole idea is ludicrous.
Why are you reading into things? Who said they wanted to go after "every coyote in the state"? And how could you possibly know every person who owns a Dog and be absolutely certain that their dogs weren't attacked?

Quote:
If your backyard is well fenced in and a coyote gets in, then have at it. Otherwise, leave nature alone. It's very simple, really.
No it's not simple and that is about the nastiest thing I've ever read which can be considered cruelty to animals and you just contradicted yourself regarding "The answer IS put up a fence". I hope you don't own any pets.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
I can read just fine. I was answering the comments attacking Twiggy as I agree with her. You don't like it, too bad. And NO, a fence alone is not the answer and you are misleading the OP with that suggestion.
So you have information to the contrary? Do you actually know someone with a well fenced in yard whose dog was attacked? So in your estimation exactly what is the answer, pray tell?
Quote:
Why are you reading into things? Who said they wanted to go after "every coyote in the state"? And how could you possibly know every person who owns a Dog and be absolutely certain that their dogs weren't attacked?
I know everyone in my neighborhood with a dog, and none have ever been attacked, as I've already said. And if a dog was attacked by a coyote jumping a yard wall, it would make the newspaper here. There have been no reports of such. I'm sure you can point out many though, since you're so certain it happens. Please feel free to supply a few examples.
Quote:
No it's not simple and that is about the nastiest thing I've ever read which can be considered cruelty to animals and you just contradicted yourself regarding "The answer IS put up a fence". I hope you don't own any pets.
Nope, no contradiction at all. If you have a well fenced in yard, there will be no coyotes in your yard so there's no problem. I have a whole house full of pets, thanks. And I think you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of wildlife than me. Your feigns of outrage are nothing but grandstanding on your part.

Let's settle down with the hyperbole now, could we? My solution is put up a fence, as that is the tried and trued method for keeping coyotes out of your backyard. That's why we build fences in Arizona.

What exactly is YOUR suggestion?

Old 10-16-2010, 04:18 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Google coyote yard dog Scottsdale -- There's one recent event, a link to a device someone is marketing to put on top of a fence to keep them out, and references to other events. I remember hearing about incidents over the years in the neighborhoods along Pima Road, which have fenced yards. A fence would be somewhat of a deterrent, I suspect, but they DO get in-- who knows why any given coyote will choose to go over a fence. But, they do.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Google coyote yard dog Scottsdale -- There's one recent event, a link to a device someone is marketing to put on top of a fence to keep them out, and references to other events. I remember hearing about incidents over the years in the neighborhoods along Pima Road, which have fenced yards. A fence would be somewhat of a deterrent, I suspect, but they DO get in-- who knows why any given coyote will choose to go over a fence. But, they do.
A good fence is not "somewhat of a deterrent", it's an excellent deterrent. A good fence would be a 5' or taller block wall. That's the standard Arizona neighborhood wall. Since a coyote can't see over the wall, it is very unlikely it's going to jump blindly into a yard. I did your google experiment, and there is ONE report of a dog attacked by a coyote jumping a "fence". However, there's no description of said fence. It could have been a 3' picket fence for all we know. Yes, there are devices to put on top of your wall if you're super paranoid about it. However, in my experience of living on the edge of the desert, they're not needed. Nobody has coyote rollers in Kingman from what I've seen, and there are tons of houses with little dogs that aren't getting eaten by coyotes. Your dog would have a better chance of getting struck by lightning.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So you have information to the contrary? Do you actually know someone with a well fenced in yard whose dog was attacked? So in your estimation exactly what is the answer, pray tell? I know everyone in my neighborhood with a dog, and none have ever been attacked, as I've already said. And if a dog was attacked by a coyote jumping a yard wall, it would make the newspaper here. There have been no reports of such. I'm sure you can point out many though, since you're so certain it happens. Please feel free to supply a few examples.Nope, no contradiction at all. If you have a well fenced in yard, there will be no coyotes in your yard so there's no problem. I have a whole house full of pets, thanks. And I think you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of wildlife than me. Your feigns of outrage are nothing but grandstanding on your part.

Let's settle down with the hyperbole now, could we? My solution is put up a fence, as that is the tried and trued method for keeping coyotes out of your backyard. That's why we build fences in Arizona.

What exactly is YOUR suggestion?
Grandstanding? Projecting much?

I can't have a decent discussion with someone who appears to be illogical and constantly insists that only their opinion is the right one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area