U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-09-2010, 07:45 AM
 
64 posts, read 115,492 times
Reputation: 24
Default Which part of Scottsdale is upscale?

Yeah... don't laugh at me, I'm newbie.

I know generally Scottsdale is labeled as upscale town for the whole PHX metro. My question is: if I move to Scottsdale for an nice living, which areas should I look and which areas should I avoid?

Thx.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2010, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Anchored in Phoenix
1,728 posts, read 2,290,978 times
Reputation: 1241
Avoid buying/renting south of Indian School. Avoid east of Hayden up to Indian Bend. Drunk ASU students in rentals + I was burglarized there. I like the greenbelt though. So I would not venture further north than Shea. I love biking on the Greenbelt and the proximity to central Phoenix. A drive to North Scottsdale is easy to get to some of those upscale pubs/restaurants I enjoy. Alas, I'm living in the Ahwatukee area because a relative twisted my arm to do so...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
1,271 posts, read 3,169,448 times
Reputation: 1051
Depends just how upscale you want to go. I love the area around Kierland or Grayhawk. For big budgets are places a little north like Troon.

Howards comment about not further north than Shea is only that there isn't a greenbelt-Shea and north IS imho the nicest part of Scottsdale. Further north tends to be less green and more native desert type landscape.

The more urban type stuff I love the area by the waterfront and Scottsdale Fashion Square. If I were ever inclined to buy a condo Optima is absolutely the most gorgeous.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 AM
 
Location: South Tempe, AZ
13,951 posts, read 16,892,767 times
Reputation: 6215
Now you REALLY need to define what YOU mean by "upscale" (we went through this on the Gilbert thread). What is your price range? What do you want your immediate neighborhood to be like in terms of amenities? Are we talking single family home? Are you looking for a larger lot, or do you care about the proximity of your neighbors? A little more info would help a lot.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 10:10 AM
 
64 posts, read 115,492 times
Reputation: 24
Wink upscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Now you REALLY need to define what YOU mean by "upscale" (we went through this on the Gilbert thread). What is your price range? What do you want your immediate neighborhood to be like in terms of amenities? Are we talking single family home? Are you looking for a larger lot, or do you care about the proximity of your neighbors? A little more info would help a lot.
Hey observer, I'm selling my bay area house and moving to AZ. My budget to buy a new house in PHX area would be roughly 1M.

Speaking of "upscale", I mean nice and quiet neighbors (friendly,educated and liberal), good schools, clean streets, low crime, good condition houses and close to nice shopping/restaurants. In San Jose, areas meeting these criteria would be considered upscale. Maybe "upscale" in PHX has different interpretations? http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...ons/icon12.gif
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Anchored in Phoenix
1,728 posts, read 2,290,978 times
Reputation: 1241
Hi coolmib,

With a price range around $1,000,000 I'd pick Troon up north. Yeah back to the earlier comment: If I could afford a Million dollar house I'd focus on that area because I also like the mountain biking up there. It's extremely beautiful. I'd say the neighbors are quiet.

I'd guess quite liberal - when you have that kind of money, you tend to not worry about taxes (because you have good tax avoidance strategies) and you tend to be social liberal. I have become more liberal the older I'm getting, which is astonishing to me. It does not make me a socialist by any means, just very socially liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmib View Post
Hey observer, I'm selling my bay area house and moving to AZ. My budget to buy a new house in PHX area would be roughly 1M.

Speaking of "upscale", I mean nice and quiet neighbors (friendly,educated and liberal), good schools, clean streets, low crime, good condition houses and close to nice shopping/restaurants. In San Jose, areas meeting these criteria would be considered upscale. Maybe "upscale" in PHX has different interpretations? http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...ons/icon12.gif
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 11:54 AM
 
3,294 posts, read 3,241,724 times
Reputation: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmib View Post
Hey observer, I'm selling my bay area house and moving to AZ. My budget to buy a new house in PHX area would be roughly 1M.

Speaking of "upscale", I mean nice and quiet neighbors (friendly,educated and liberal), good schools, clean streets, low crime, good condition houses and close to nice shopping/restaurants. In San Jose, areas meeting these criteria would be considered upscale. Maybe "upscale" in PHX has different interpretations? http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...ons/icon12.gif
Thank you. After days and days of people trying to answer your vague questions in the other thread, you give us specific details. <sheesh> For future reference, communication is a skill. Work on it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 01:14 PM
 
508 posts, read 840,054 times
Reputation: 256
I vote green belt near the PV (Paradise Valley) mall. There are some upscale homes there, though it is more "middle to upper-middle class". You can't beat the area for walking, running, walking your dog, cycling, etc. There are plenty of high-end cars, people, houses, and lots of restaurants and shops in the area to choose from. Tatum/Shea is contiguous to the town of Paradise Valley itself. I think the area is much more convenient than the other end of Scottsdale (far east end).

If you're not into those types of activities then I'd agree with the other poster: Troon, etc. That's a really high-end area with plenty of shops, restaurants, resorts, golf, etc.

Super high end, town of PV itself, then you have to drive to everything and watch out for unmanned white vans with radar in the mostly 25-mph zoned area, especially on Doubletree Road between Scottsdale Rd. and E 52nd.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, Az (unfortunately still here)
2,551 posts, read 1,489,628 times
Reputation: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I vote green belt near the PV (Paradise Valley) mall. There are some upscale homes there, though it is more "middle to upper-middle class". You can't beat the area for walking, running, walking your dog, cycling, etc. There are plenty of high-end cars, people, houses, and lots of restaurants and shops in the area to choose from. Tatum/Shea is contiguous to the town of Paradise Valley itself. I think the area is much more convenient than the other end of Scottsdale (far east end).

If you're not into those types of activities then I'd agree with the other poster: Troon, etc. That's a really high-end area with plenty of shops, restaurants, resorts, golf, etc.

Super high end, town of PV itself, then you have to drive to everything and watch out for unmanned white vans with radar in the mostly 25-mph zoned area, especially on Doubletree Road between Scottsdale Rd. and E 52nd.
I used to live not far from Paradise Valley mall.

Yes, it's a great area. Everybody is a little more real and down to earth. But when you get further down in Scottsdale that's when it becomes "Snobbsdale" (the Ken & Barbies live there; fake boobs, gym freaks, etc, etc).

That's just right outside of north Phoenix. I prefer that part better (near Paradise Mall).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
1,386 posts, read 1,674,735 times
Reputation: 1424
For a $1M budget you can pretty much go anywhere. I like Grayhawk, D.C, Ranch, Desert Highlands, Windgate Ranch. Upscale, good schools, close to 101. Good property values compared to other areas of the valley.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top