U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 PM

8,270 posts, read 6,162,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Well, even those who love it here will tell you we are not the place to come looking for a job over $10 bucks an hour. If you will find one at all, or at least if you do it might not last very long in our climate.
I'm a software developer and the overwhelming majority of colleagues I keep in touch with in the Phoenix are still employed, in fact most who have changed employers have initiated the move themselves. I'm not sure of their exact salaries but I'd say most range somewhere between 80k-100k.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,858,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Wow your fortunes must have really changed since you posted this last month:
No, you fail. I would be homeless if I lost my job after my unemployment and savings would run out. I have had my job now for nearly 4 years. I have an extra $400 to $500 a month after all my bills are paid that I put into savings each month. I have spent around $3,000 of my savings on a computer, televisions, surround sound, blu ray, etc, so you do the math on how much I have put away.

Are Employed Persons This Clueless?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13786472-post40.html

Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 PM

660 posts, read 778,788 times
Quote:
Phoenix Housing Market Expected to Recover in 2034!!!
This scares me, can't possibly wait until 2034 for our housing market to pick up a bit but if you come, rent, do not buy, there is no investment to be made here. Only buy if you plan on dying in the house or you will lose money. This is a great place to retire with a pension!
Wow, that's a really depressing article (not blaming you Twiggy, just sad to read that).

I know you mentioned a few times about wanting to wear your Fall clothes now and wish it could be Fall there, but it's not that great a season most of the time. Where I'm at the winds are so strong you can barely walk down a street without getting leaves/dirt/whatever blowing around and almost going in your face. The winds have been so strong that a tree crashed down on a Woman's car:
Woman impaled by tree branch recovering in hospital | HULIQ

I know that this incident is unusual. Personally I could really use some 80-90 degree non-humid and non-windy weather right now.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 PM

3,886 posts, read 6,375,957 times
Thats an awesome thing, I was glad when I saw it on the news! When are they going to start breaking ground on that though? Do you know? I can't find a date on that anywhere.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Wow, that's a really depressing article (not blaming you Twiggy, just sad to read that).

I know you mentioned a few times about wanting to wear your Fall clothes now and wish it could be Fall there, but it's not that great a season most of the time. Where I'm at the winds are so strong you can barely walk down a street without getting leaves/dirt/whatever blowing around and almost going in your face. The winds have been so strong that a tree crashed down on a Woman's car:
Woman impaled by tree branch recovering in hospital | HULIQ

I know that this incident is unusual. Personally I could really use some 80-90 degree non-humid and non-windy weather right now.
I hear you! The grass is always greener, lol, but I think I'm just in a need of change. I might come running back but at least I will have something to run back from and be content in my decision.
I saw that tree incident on the news, scary stuff but we had it a couple of weeks ago with a few tornados so I feel for them. People here are still shocked by our last storm.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I'm a software developer and the overwhelming majority of colleagues I keep in touch with in the Phoenix are still employed, in fact most who have changed employers have initiated the move themselves. I'm not sure of their exact salaries but I'd say most range somewhere between 80k-100k.
That must be a good line to be in right now in Phoenix. Thats great but I don't think she is a software developer? She said accountant and the last accountant I saw was working at Walgreens as a cashier temporarily due to being fired during the recession. They aren't as fortunate, but a lot of people who are as fortunate as you can't give everyone else the green light on great jobs here. I wish you could but reality is a lot of people minus a few careers are having a unusually difficult time right now. It will hopefully right itself but I would wait a couple of years before laying my life and security on the line for a move here. This is just my opinion, I figure she will take or leave the ones she is interested in. Most do, but she asked so I gave my opinion.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 631,632 times
Quote:
That must be a good line to be in right now in Phoenix. Thats great but I don't think she is a software developer? She said accountant and the last accountant I saw was working at Walgreens as a cashier temporarily due to being fired during the recession.
That really sucks for that cashier

I know an accountant here who is going through a really rough patch in life. I'm not going to get into it much, but he's going through some emotional turbulence right now... a small part of which is whether or not he should stay in Phoenix. Luckily for him, cash is king and he'll likely leave. He said he makes less than what accountants in other cities have the potential to make. If I remember correctly, he was considering moving to Pacific coast cities or DC, because he did research and said he would be better off financially in those places.

On that note, I would advise that poster to shop around in different cities, because salaries may be more competitive, especially if the move is more about money than just moving to Arizona. When I looked for jobs in Phoenix, those relevant to my field were pretty scarce even before the recession hit. There was a temp position for me a couple months ago and the guy had an attitude like he was being overly generous with a measly $12/hour wage... with the "potential" for permanence and a bump up to $12.25/hour. Meanwhile, that same job pays roughly $40K-$60K in other cities. Factor in cost of living and I'd still be better off not staying here. I'm glad I don't have the same fervor about Phoenix some people do, because I'd be torn between living here and doing something I love.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:21 AM

660 posts, read 778,788 times
Quote:
I saw that tree incident on the news, scary stuff but we had it a couple of weeks ago with a few tornados so I feel for them. People here are still shocked by our last storm.
Tornadoes? Why didn't my relatives tell me this? I mean it's exciting but scary stuff! Did any touch down?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Tornadoes? Why didn't my relatives tell me this? I mean it's exciting but scary stuff! Did any touch down?
Yes, I think it was 4 or 5 that touched down. Derailed a train, and did damage all the way up through AZ to Williams and Flagstaff. There is a thread on here about it, search it. I believe there is pictures of some damage. The hail was more damaging in Phoenix, put some roofs out and damaged a lot of cars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFxzQm4ukqg). Not a common thing out here for sure but we do get them now and again. It was on CNN for a day or two, I'm surprised you didn't here about it.
http://ktar.com/category/local-news-...in-single-day/ ( I guess it was 8)
It's not like we are in tornado alley or anything though. I wouldn't "not move" here because of it, although some people are predicting we will start getting more now because of climate change I gather. But, it was an exciting day for some people, I felt bad for those who suffered damage, what a pain in the butt!

Last edited by twiggy; 10-28-2010 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 1,966 times
Twiggy thank you for your reply, i will check out the site you gave me also.

Again thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area