Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:35 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I think the Suburbia reason is stupid as hell! Those type of people that don't like that come off as snobby to me. As long as I can live comfortably, I don't care if it's "suburbia".
Agreed!

What makes me laugh about the suburbia criticisms is the notion that everyone in NY, SF, Chicago and Boston all live in some high rise building like Friends and have this fabulous urban lifestyle. Where do think many people with families live in those cities....that's rights...the BURBS!

Yeah, Phoenix is not NY, SF, or Chicago but it has many of the same amenities as many large urban cities, the only difference is it's spread out here. I fail to see why the psychological feeling of density somehow erases the reality of all the establishments that exist. Just because these restaurants are not next door to one another doesn't mean they don't exist but according to some, it means they don't exist.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:45 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
I think Phoenix and burbs are good for who choose to live there...little off topic, but I would not live there if I had a choice...I don't like cities anymore....Casa Grande is the home for me...not green acres, but home

Old 11-03-2010, 08:45 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
I think the vast majority of people enjoy "suburbia" and would not want to live an urban lifestyle. That is why so many choose to live in the suburbs and and not downtown (in every city, not just Phoenix).

Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,224,977 times
The Next Slum? - Magazine - The Atlantic

Bright Flight: Affluent Leaving Suburbs, Moving to Cities - The Juggle - WSJ

People Leaving Large Cities? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Happy reading!

Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I became disabled here in Phoenix due to cancer 3 yrs ago.
I have to get AHCCCS medical.

I recently made another resume because I will be able to go back to work & I can't wait.
Unfortunatly, I have developed a bad toothache & have suffered terrible pain for over a month.

I cannot afford to go to the dentist & have exhausted every way that I know to try to get help.
I can't even speak right & will not be able to go on any interview like this.
Even St. Vincent De Paul is so strapped that they have a once a month lottery for help to see a dentist that give you a 1 in 5 chance.

I was told that I can only get the help if it turns into a serious medical condition. Sepsis, heart or kidney problems.
I have even e-mailed the Governors office to ask if I could go to the jail & see their dentist.
(if you are in jail here, you can get help for a toothache)
I was told to go to AHCCCS knowing that they cannot pay for dentists anymore.

I want to leave Phoenix as soon as I can afford to because I don't want to live in a place that will care for prisoners in jail but, not give any help to someone who is trying to get back on their feet.
I know you are not homeless, but I think this place just might help you regarding your teeth if you explain your situation to them.

CASS Dental Clinic for the Homeless - Free Clinic in Phoenix, Arizona

Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I became disabled here in Phoenix due to cancer 3 yrs ago.
I have to get AHCCCS medical.

I recently made another resume because I will be able to go back to work & I can't wait.
Unfortunatly, I have developed a bad toothache & have suffered terrible pain for over a month.

I cannot afford to go to the dentist & have exhausted every way that I know to try to get help.
I can't even speak right & will not be able to go on any interview like this.
Even St. Vincent De Paul is so strapped that they have a once a month lottery for help to see a dentist that give you a 1 in 5 chance.

I was told that I can only get the help if it turns into a serious medical condition. Sepsis, heart or kidney problems.
I have even e-mailed the Governors office to ask if I could go to the jail & see their dentist.
(if you are in jail here, you can get help for a toothache)
I was told to go to AHCCCS knowing that they cannot pay for dentists anymore.

I want to leave Phoenix as soon as I can afford to because I don't want to live in a place that will care for prisoners in jail but, not give any help to someone who is trying to get back on their feet.
There might be schools of dentistry here in Phoenix that let students do the work for a nominal fee.Or, even a dental assistance school, with their connections, might put you on the path to a low fee dentist? How about via the ER?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:41 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
phxgreenfire,
You can post those articles, but the fact is the VAST majority--not just majority or slim majority, but the vast majority--live in the suburbs and not urban areas. And they choose to, and there are good reasons they chose to. Urbanism is for some folks, and it is not for many, many others. That's just the way it is.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I think my son has watered that cactus as well.
It works as long as you remember not to stand too close!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Agreed!

What makes me laugh about the suburbia criticisms is the notion that everyone in NY, SF, Chicago and Boston all live in some high rise building like Friends and have this fabulous urban lifestyle. Where do think many people with families live in those cities....that's rights...the BURBS!

Yeah, Phoenix is not NY, SF, or Chicago but it has many of the same amenities as many large urban cities, the only difference is it's spread out here. I fail to see why the psychological feeling of density somehow erases the reality of all the establishments that exist. Just because these restaurants are not next door to one another doesn't mean they don't exist but according to some, it means they don't exist.
So, these are the reasons you "want to leave Phoenix"?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I think Phoenix and burbs are good for who choose to live there...little off topic, but I would not live there if I had a choice...I don't like cities anymore....Casa Grande is the home for me...not green acres, but home
Actually, you are on topic, you don't live in Phoenix, you don't like cities, thats why you live in Casa Grande!
There are a lot of cool little cities around AZ that don't mimic Phoenix's short comings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area