Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I think the vast majority of people enjoy "suburbia" and would not want to live an urban lifestyle. That is why so many choose to live in the suburbs and and not downtown (in every city, not just Phoenix).
Hm, so, are you staying because of this or going? Curious, why are you thinking of leaving Phoenix? I thought you liked it here? Are you looking for another suburb in another city?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I became disabled here in Phoenix due to cancer 3 yrs ago.
I have to get AHCCCS medical.

I recently made another resume because I will be able to go back to work & I can't wait.
Unfortunatly, I have developed a bad toothache & have suffered terrible pain for over a month.

I cannot afford to go to the dentist & have exhausted every way that I know to try to get help.
I can't even speak right & will not be able to go on any interview like this.
Even St. Vincent De Paul is so strapped that they have a once a month lottery for help to see a dentist that give you a 1 in 5 chance.

I was told that I can only get the help if it turns into a serious medical condition. Sepsis, heart or kidney problems.
I have even e-mailed the Governors office to ask if I could go to the jail & see their dentist.
(if you are in jail here, you can get help for a toothache)
I was told to go to AHCCCS knowing that they cannot pay for dentists anymore.

I want to leave Phoenix as soon as I can afford to because I don't want to live in a place that will care for prisoners in jail but, not give any help to someone who is trying to get back on their feet.
It's PATHETIC how we are treating the ill here! OMG!
I am soooo sorry you are caught up in this pathetic greedy political climate that Phoenix is going "pedal to the floor" too support!
Not a great time to get ill in Phoenix that's for sure!
You have my prayers, and I hope you find your way to a more intelligent state, one that the majority of people realize it could be them at any moment who need a hand during a weak time so that they can become strong again!
We seem to be going in the direction of doing some "group kicking" the weak
people to the curb and out of our way.

I would try and post on some financial help websites and plead your case for donations from people in other parts of this country. Let me know the link and I will gladly donate to it. I hear this is one of the best sites:
Outrageous Request - About Us (http://www.outrageousrequests.com/html/outrageous_request_-_about_us.html - broken link)
Go on and tell them you're from Arizona, that alone should get you donations to get out of here and have your tooth fixed. lol
Good luck to you! I am embarrassed that we let this kind of thing go on. It's a shame.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
Quote:
Hm, so, are you staying because of this or going? Curious, why are you thinking of leaving Phoenix? I thought you liked it here? Are you looking for another suburb in another city?
It was in response to the "I hate suburbia" theme within this thread (a thread within a thread?). I was simply stating that most folks like suburbia, because most folks choose to live in suburbia. If they didn't like it, they would not choose to live in it.

I do like it here, btw.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Ok, so we got rid of Affirmative Action as well! Another reason to leave! It's becoming very unwelcoming in our state for anyone of color.
It's also unwelcoming for any one with children, or illness. I am starting to feel like this is a "weed out".
And yes, I guess I am a weed in AZ.
No amount of good winter weather is going to fix this, I mean, come on! It's hard to "not" get the message here, it's loud and clear!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
It's PATHETIC how we are treating the ill here! OMG!
I am soooo sorry you are caught up in this pathetic greedy political climate that Phoenix is going "pedal to the floor" too support!
Not a great time to get ill in Phoenix that's for sure!
You have my prayers, and I hope you find your way to a more intelligent state, one that the majority of people realize it could be them at any moment who need a hand during a weak time so that they can become strong again!
We seem to be going in the direction of doing some "group kicking" the weak
people to the curb and out of our way.

I would try and post on some financial help websites and plead your case for donations from people in other parts of this country. Let me know the link and I will gladly donate to it. I hear this is one of the best sites:
Outrageous Request - About Us (http://www.outrageousrequests.com/html/outrageous_request_-_about_us.html - broken link)
Go on and tell them you're from Arizona, that alone should get you donations to get out of here and have your tooth fixed. lol
Good luck to you! I am embarrassed that we let this kind of thing go on. It's a shame.
I don't think it is how the "ill" are "treated" that you don't like, because there are some great hospitals and doctors in the area. If you are going to be ill, there are not too many places where you'll get better care.
What I think what you don't like is how the poor that are ill sometimes can't get the care they want/need because they can't afford to pay. AHCCCS still exists, although it's budget (along with most budgets) was cut, so it's more restrictive and harder to qualify than it used to be. If you have no money to pay, you can't be turned down for emergency care, so if it is an emergency, you're still going to get care. There are some non-profit hospitals that won't turn you down because you can't pay--again, though, usually not for routine care.
I think your advice about asking for financial help from organizations and so forth is a good one. Sometimes, if you really want or need something, you've got to swallow your pride and ask for help. There are people who want to help and have the means to do so.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
It was in response to the "I hate suburbia" theme within this thread (a thread within a thread?). I was simply stating that most folks like suburbia, because most folks choose to live in suburbia. If they didn't like it, they would not choose to live in it.

I do like it here, btw.
Well, it was a theme for people who want to leave because of the "amount" of it here. So, I thought you might be wanting to move, I guess you just came on to tell us that other people, not on this thread, like Phoenix suburbia?

Ok, thanks, we didn't know! Wow, thats something to consider. Hm, enlightening!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Ok, so we got rid of Affirmative Action as well! Another reason to leave!
I would never be able to accept a job that I knew I was not the most qualified candidate for but I was being offered it because of a quota of skin color, hair color, eye color, ancestory, whatever.
But that's just me, I guess.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Ok, thanks, we didn't know! Wow, thats something to consider. Hm, enlightening!
I'm sure you are all that and a bag of chips.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I don't think it is how the "ill" are "treated" that you don't like, because there are some great hospitals and doctors in the area. If you are going to be ill, there are not too many places where you'll get better care.
What I think what you don't like is how the poor that are ill sometimes can't get the care they want/need because they can't afford to pay. AHCCCS still exists, although it's budget (along with most budgets) was cut, so it's more restrictive and harder to qualify than it used to be. If you have no money to pay, you can't be turned down for emergency care, so if it is an emergency, you're still going to get care. There are some non-profit hospitals that won't turn you down because you can't pay--again, though, usually not for routine care.
I think your advice about asking for financial help from organizations and so forth is a good one. Sometimes, if you really want or need something, you've got to swallow your pride and ask for help. There are people who want to help and have the means to do so.
Yes, I stand corrected, it was how we prioritize the needs in AZ for the people who cannot afford it because they became ill and lost their jobs and insurance, hence, right to work state.

Our hospitals give good care! You can go to county I believe for an emergency but I don't know if they will consider a tooth ache an emergency?
Maybe an abscess? I don't know that one. You could try.
And, on this note, to be fair, a lot of states are cutting services and education funds and programs right now. We just didn't have that great of services to begin with so the cuts hurt more. The federal money that Obama set in place to make up for these state cuts due to the recession is set to end soon and thats when our state and others will really start to see some large cuts.
With the political climate of the country, I don't see those being reinstated, so prepare to be without some true safety nets soon.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I would never be able to accept a job that I knew I was not the most qualified candidate for but I was being offered it because of a quota of skin color, hair color, eye color, ancestory, whatever.
But that's just me, I guess.
You forgot to add prejudice to that list! I believe thats why it started, no one would do anything for a n####! Poor people don't get the education opportunities that rich people get, I think we should ramp up AA, lets just say I believe they should provide true opportunity for all citizens. Education and training for all, regardless of funds! I am not your cup of tea, I believe certain things should be rights not a tease.
Hm, I think AZ needs Affirmative Action right now more than ever, but, it could just be my "bag of chips" talking.
History channel is on cable, do you have cable?

Ok, you have successfully invaded this thread and started to argue in favor of "loving" Phoenix, and all that it has chose morally to stand for. We get it, you can go now. Why not post these on the the other thread I started? Is it that you are just trolling? OMG, you lovers are little trollers as well, fancy that!

Last edited by twiggy; 11-04-2010 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area