U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:05 AM

10 posts, read 6,711 times
Default Anyone familiar with the Surprise area

Seen some nice houses in the mid to upper 80's. Im not looking for anything big and these look plenty nice but any know how the area is around like 157th ave, 161st ave, 153rd Drive ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,340 times
It's a very nice and quite area. Crime is very low. Bell has horrible traffic and there isn't a lot to do out here besides go to the grocery store or movies. I don't know how old you are or if you have kids but if you do its a great place to raise a family.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:41 PM

2,948 posts, read 3,463,978 times
Surprise is a very nice suburb. Depending on where you work, commute times can be brutal. Otherwise, it's a great place.
Official Website - Surprise, Arizona

Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,505,958 times
You did not mention where you will be working, if at all, or what your interests are.

As the others mentioned Surprise is a nice community and YES you can find some very nice newer homes in your price range. However, if you need to commute into Phoenix, Scottsdale or Tempe (where most of the jobs are) Surprise might not be the best choice.

Surprise has much to offer. Home to the Texas Rangers & K.C. Royals spring baseball, The Legends tennis tournament, great shopping and dining, nice parks, etc.

You will like it there.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:10 PM

10 posts, read 6,711 times
Not sure yet where i'd work, wanna buy a place outright and just live off some other funds i have for a while. My bigger concern is the area and is there plenty of road cycling available, not just the meander down the road side type i wanna be able to leave my drive go out for a 40 mile training ride on back roads

Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,505,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhraxo View Post
Not sure yet where i'd work, wanna buy a place outright and just live off some other funds i have for a while. My bigger concern is the area and is there plenty of road cycling available, not just the meander down the road side type i wanna be able to leave my drive go out for a 40 mile training ride on back roads
In that case. Yes, Surprise will work well for you. You might also consider Wadell and even parts of Buckeye.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:31 PM

15 posts, read 51,862 times
My husband rides and he has no trouble finding a good place. He often takes the Sun valley parkway - park at the riverboat and then just ride for as long as you care to. You just have to watch out for things people throw on the side of the road, and snakes. He sees snakes pretty frequently.

In 2000, when we moved to Surprise there was very little in the way of stores and restaurants. Now there are lots of stores, tons of chain restaurants, and quite a few independent restaurants. We have a nice park, a good tennis facility, a good aquatic center, and a movie theater. There are plenty of things to do with kids, if that is an issue. And it's not so far from Arrowhead that you couldn't take a ride over there to do other things - they have quite a bit to offer.

I really do love Surprise and I'm glad we moved here. We were living in Phoenix and the neighborhood started to go downhill, so we got out while the getting was good.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM

282 posts, read 307,126 times
If biking is your priority, Sun Valley Parkway at the end of Surprise is very nice. 10 minutes from the end of Surprise you will find Sun City Festival (+ 55 community) and Festival Foot Hills. But maybe this is too far out for you and the prices are a little bit higher than you mentioned.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:55 PM

523 posts, read 492,546 times
I would stay away from the next 6-9 months. Values have fallen more than 9% in the past two months, and economic assessments of the housing market are calling for price declines of 25-40% from this summer's prices. With the absense of the tax credits and other government help, the market has taken a dramatic turn for the worse, and wil be catching a falling knife.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:22 PM

41 posts, read 41,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
I would stay away from the next 6-9 months. Values have fallen more than 9% in the past two months, and economic assessments of the housing market are calling for price declines of 25-40% from this summer's prices. With the absense of the tax credits and other government help, the market has taken a dramatic turn for the worse, and wil be catching a falling knife.
Where is a source of this info? Is this the outlook for the zipcode, state, region or the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area