U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 PM

471 posts, read 761,182 times

Advertisements

Having just recently created my own vegetable garden in my backyard, I feel like I am an expert on the topic of caliche! It's funny because most of the garden area (11 ft by 7) didn't have a lot of caliche, even going about 2 feet deep, until the section that I had mentally mapped for my carrots(growing by seed)! Urrgh! So I had to hack through the evil stuff, because I had already planted everything else in their designated spots. Note to self: always plant rooty stuff first!

Anyhow, I'm a scrawny female, but I just used a small spade with strong metal and hacked away at it. But yes, definitely water it first and let it soak because it makes a huge difference. I'm mentioning this because if you're trying to save money like I am, this might be a cheaper option. Although, make sure to wear gloves because I got so absorbed in hacking away that I ended up getting blisters on my fingers without realizing it until it was too late...ouch!

Another easier option is to have strategically-placed containers for your annuals, of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 08:18 PM

4,153 posts, read 5,641,402 times
Dig a small hole, as deep as you can. Fill the hole with water. Go into the house and stay there for 24 hours. Come back out, dig some more in the hole, fill the hole with water, go into the house and staythere for 24 hours. You get the idea...........

Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 219 times
Will an electric jack hammer work on caleche? and can an old grandma use one?

Old 09-23-2015, 06:42 PM

4,244 posts, read 7,037,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgracejohnson View Post
Will an electric jack hammer work on caleche? and can an old grandma use one?
hire it done.

An electric jackhammer may well weigh more than you do, and while it will go into the caliche just fine, getting it back out is the hard part.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:47 PM

95 posts, read 40,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
So I had to hack through the evil stuff, because I had already planted everything else in their designated spots. Note to self: always plant rooty stuff first!

Anyhow, I'm a scrawny female, but I just used a small spade with strong metal and hacked away at it. But yes, definitely water it first and let it soak because it makes a huge difference. I'm mentioning this because if you're trying to save money like I am, this might be a cheaper option. Although, make sure to wear gloves because I got so absorbed in hacking away that I ended up getting blisters on my fingers without realizing it until it was too late...ouch!

Another easier option is to have strategically-placed containers for your annuals, of course!
Yes, reading this definitely brings two words to mind: "raised bed". I'll bet I could bang those out faster and cheaper than a jackhammer rental...

Old 09-24-2015, 12:34 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,849,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
You need a digging bar. It's a very heavy solid steel pole about 5' long, pointed at one end for piercing the dirt, and flattened a bit on the other end and possibly curved for prying rocks. They come in a couple of different formats. Home Depot carries them. They probably weigh a good 40 pounds. You pick it up and slam the pointed end repeatedly into the dirt, then pry against it to loosen it up. Dig out the loosened pieces with a shovel or your hands. It can be a long repetitive process, but it's good exercise! You can probably just use a pick as well, although they're difficult to maneuver once the hole starts getting deep.
That's what I use. They're also called breaker bars and you can get them fairly cheap at Harbor Freight (use one of their 20% coupons that are in the paper, online, and everywhere else).

To avoid wear and tear on your hands and forearms when you slam it down, don't "drive" it down while keeping a strong grip on it or the reverberating shock waves will mess you up. Let the weight of the bar do the work, like throwing a javelin downwards. Don't hold on to it and release it just before it hits or keep a light grip on it.

The trick with watering the hole works well, too. Posthole diggers don't seem to work out here as well as in clay soils.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:42 PM

1,188 posts, read 550,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I bought an electric jack hammer with a shovel bit after seeing how easily it cut through when a nursery used one to plant some trees on my property. Got a made in China cheapo that has held up OK for home use. Should have done it years ago. A digging bar like kdog describes works pretty well too.
I've considered buying one of those cheapo China jackhammers, too. Amazon my best source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area