Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 AM

6 posts, read 13,925 times

Advertisements

I need people's opinions on an issue we are having with a home we are having built. We bought in an area because of all the different styles of homes (not cookie cutter). We now have found out that across the street from us, not only is the same elevation being built, but the same exterior colors. Obviously, we are not happy with this. Do we have any kind of recourse or how would you handle this with a homebuilder?
Really stressing out over this. Thanks for any help or info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Do they have a policy in writing about how different elevations are allowed to be selected?

Is your home already built, have you closed on it? You may have to appeal to the other buyer and the builder to change their design if yours is already done. If not closed, be sure to read your contract for any contingencies or options you may have to negotiate with the builder. Are you working with an agent? Perhaps contact a lawyer to review your documents and provide advice if you can't work it out with the builder.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I would be surprised if you have any options at all, and I surely would not be " really stressing out" about it. As you've noted, there are a lot of neighborhoods being built in recent years (and not so recent years) where EVERY house is the same color, and the elevations are similar enough that you really can't tell one from another. Just because the ONE house directly across the street looks like yours, with NO other house in the immediate area being the same...I suspect that you, and the neighbor in question, will be the only people who even notice, (and I'm not sure about the neighbor).

You can ask if they are willing to change the main color, or maybe just the trim color, but if they say no, I'd be surprised to hear you have any other recourse but to change the color on your own, perhaps at your own expense.

And, in the end, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:00 PM

310 posts, read 1,160,528 times
This happened to me as well, when I went thru the building process, the same floor plan could only be two in a row, but had to be different elevations with different colors...but then the housing market crashed even further...to close out inventory the builders would put any floor plan, any elevation, and any color the buyer wanted just to sell the house. We went to the builder (our house was already completed and closed) to complain that the exact house with exact colors was being built across from us, but they would not ask the buyer to change...they just wanted to get the sale...

Old 10-21-2010, 04:01 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
Is it too late to pick a different color?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area