Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:25 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Everyone has their off days. The tricky part is when you identify yourself as a pastor, then you "up the ante" when you have those off days. Take care!
I am a pastor...but have never been too PC...however again the joke was just meant as that.... a joke...did not mean offense.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
If you are looking for African Americans in Mesa visit a few LDS churches.....they will stand out there and be easy to spot....
LOL...don't know if it was meant to be a joke, but it's funnier than hell. And i'm an African American and didn't find you comment to be bigoted or snarky. Jeez..to hell with'em if they can't take a joke.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...don't know if it was meant to be a joke, but it's funnier than hell. And i'm an African American and didn't find you comment to be bigoted or snarky. Jeez..to hell with'em if they can't take a joke.
Thanks...i actually thought it was pretty funny too.....but did not mean it to be taken in offense....sheeeesh...here I go apologizing again....will this never end....aaaargh!!!!

Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM

260 posts, read 511,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I m not sure, if it was that funny at first, but I think you are right, it could be funny.Like a black person go to church, and pray; Thank you God, that I m not white.
And a white person go to church, and pray; Thank you lord, that I m not black.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:31 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,847 times
Quote:
I m not sure, if it was that funny at first, but I think you are right, it could be funny.Like a black person go to church, and pray; Thank you God, that I m not white.
And a white person go to church, and pray; Thank you lord, that I m not black.
I don't think that was the punchline, but, maybe, for the Morman church 40 years ago, it was....

Old 10-30-2010, 07:21 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
The truth is that you still find very few African Americans in the LDS population
In Arizona, that is probably true. Go to some areas, though, and it is not. Go to an LDS Church in Harlem and that will not be the case at all.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
The whole Mormons think black people have the "mark if Cain" and Mesa is full of Mormans. Hhahaha
Hahaha? The only funny thing about your post is your ignorance. There was a time when a great many of them did, but that was their own ignorance (ignorance knows no religious boundaries, you know). Today, of the Church's nearly 14 million members, only the tiniest minority still believes that nonsense. Mormons are no more racist than the general population, perhaps even less so.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 PM

260 posts, read 511,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
I thought your joke was funny.

The whole Mormons think black people have the "mark if Cain" and Mesa is full of Mormans. Hhahaha
The LDS only fully accepted (so they say) Black people in the late 70's.

I dont know why the Mormons would think Cain was black.
Cain was not black, and none of his 30 brothers was black,
and none his 30 sisters was black.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesmoses View Post
I dont know why the Mormons would think Cain was black.
Cain was not black, and none of his 30 brothers was black,
and none his 30 sisters was black.
I don't know that anyone, Mormon or not, knows what the "mark" placed on Cain was. Why don't you take your question to the Christianity forum? Does this seriously have anything at all to do with the OP?

Old 10-31-2010, 10:11 AM

The "mark of Cain has been a handy excuse for folks to practice their already inbred bigotry...

If we are just referring to Bible...(not the Book of Mormon, or the Quoran...or any other such book)...it is evident that most likely Cains descendent's all perished in the flood anyway....so no "mark" of Cain could have been passed down.

Katspur is correct on one thing...racism exists in all Faiths....and although the LDS church has a very rich history of prejudice...(seeing it was written in their doctrine)...they seem to have put that pretty much behind them....Thank goodness for that.

However the stigma remains because it has been in very recent times that they have sworn that off and the catalyst for that was a very irate Stanford Athletic director in 1969 I believe it was that suspended any sporting events with BYU because their racial policies.

Several other schools had been making noise..(UTEP, U of Wyoming..)...and Mormon President Kimball decided to do away with the rule that blacks could not hold the priesthood. (1978)

Again the problem that the LDS church has to deal with is that it is very recent AND this was not just an unwritten policy but one that had been preached by their greatest leaders....Brigham Young did teach that dark skin was the mark of Cain.
Still a big hurdle for the LDS church to deal with.

However having said that...I do believe that the Mormons are doing their best to erase the sins of the past and move on without the stain of racism....and I commend them for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area