Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2007, 01:23 PM

12 posts, read 45,067 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving there and have twins age 15 who do nothing but skateboard here in CA. What recreation is available for them in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 01:37 PM

69 posts, read 280,845 times
Anything you can do in Ca can be done in Az except go to the beach...you can even do that if you consider we are only 3-1/2 hours from Rocky Point in Mexico. The issue for kids here is the summer heat. I don't know where in Ca you are from but if it is from an area with moderate climes, Az can take a little getting used to :-).

I've helped allot of people move here from Ca in the past few years and the concensus opinion is "thumbs up". Gilbert is booming with new home subdivisions, malls, dining, hospitals, freeways, schools, etc. You can't beat this part of Az for raising a family.

While every city will have pros and cons, Gilbert/Chandler is a fun place for kids and adults alike...people are friendly, the streets are wide and the place is really clean.

Let me know if there is any other info you would like...good luck!!

Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 83,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeys View Post
Thinking of moving there and have twins age 15 who do nothing but skateboard here in CA. What recreation is available for them in the area?
Skateboarding? http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/parks/popups/skatepark.cfm

And of course swimming, jetskiing, dirtbiking, mountainbiking, hiking, shopping, movies (Az movie theaters are awesome - go Harkins!)...

I haven't been downtown in many many years, but when I was younger "cruising central" was a common teenager activity. I wouldn't really recommend it because I suspect the drug culture down there is roughly equivalent to going to raves on a regular basis.

The key to keeping kids out of trouble is keeping em busy. Getting em involved in dirt biking, or yes, even skateboarding can be great.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:32 AM

Ok, Thank You! That tip about the drug activity is Good to Know. But these guys do almost nothing but skateboard. They'll swim, ice skate, dirt bike too, given the opportunity. Also, I heard they do most of this indoors?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:48 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Lol. Here in C G theres literally nothing. Well, we have a public pool, a pool hall, but thats about it. Anything else is going to require driving out to the Valley.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Unhappy Where is "CG"

And I'm sorry, what is the area people mean when they talk about "the valley"?
Coming out this weekend, maybe that will help with the final decision about moving. SO hard to leave the Calif Coast.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:09 PM

9 posts, read 47,414 times
I think all of Phoenix is considered "the valley".
The East Valley is Gilbert, Chandler and Scottsdale.

Chandler has a skate park at Snedigar Park that has been "ranked" by competitive skateboarders. Chandler is also building a Grind Park for BMX too.

I know Gilbert has a skate park but I do not know much about it.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 PM

34 posts, read 91,007 times
The greater Phoenix metropolitan area "the valley" has tons of skateparks, all of them great for everyday usage (no rain) 9 months of the year. For the months that are too hot (June, July, August) there still is after sunset as well as a bunch of indoor parks. If your kids are into skateboarding, they should be familiar with Concrete Disciples Skateboarding - News, Skateparks, Photos, & Video. It lists all the skateparks in AZ (as well as the 49 other states) with detailed information about what type of terrain, concete/wood, lights, public, helmet/pad requirements, etc. My kids into BMX so I can't tell you which ones are the best - Chandler BMX park is one of the best in the country though!

Old 08-06-2009, 01:48 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
Skateboarding? Freestone Skate Park

And of course swimming, jetskiing, dirtbiking, mountainbiking, hiking, shopping, movies (Az movie theaters are awesome - go Harkins!)...

I haven't been downtown in many many years, but when I was younger "cruising central" was a common teenager activity. I wouldn't really recommend it because I suspect the drug culture down there is roughly equivalent to going to raves on a regular basis.

The key to keeping kids out of trouble is keeping em busy. Getting em involved in dirt biking, or yes, even skateboarding can be great.
Holy 1979 and 1999...Cruising Central and raves downtown??? LOL! I know there are indoor skate parks, like metro center. However, there isn't any cruising central or raves downtown! LOL, where would they throw them...Chase Tower, Dodge Theater? And cruising is illegal. Mill Ave. was popular after Central but both "drags" are heavily patrolled for such activity.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:03 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
I live on the Chandler/Gilbert border and there is a decent skate park over here. It's really flat here, no hills, so a skate park is a must! You'll have to drive them to it unless you move close to one. Keep that in mind!
I have 2 girls that age 15/16 and they are really bored most of the time, but manage to keep entertained anyway. lol
It helps if you have a pool, kids that age will swim daily and it helps to curb the summer heat blues.

These parks are outside, not inside, but the kids still skate in this heat. (crazy) But when the nice weather comes all are happy.
Kids usually hang out in the mini parks in the subdivisions. Most are close to the homes, grassed and have a mixture of little ones and teens hanging out.

I have to say we miss the beach as well and are moving back to a beach town soon but one thing I can say about the desert is it is affordable! All except for the entertainment in the summer. lol
The girls play video games and are on the computer a lot until Fall. Then they go outside.
I'll be here for a couple of months, if you have any questions about schools, etc. just pm me. I will be glad to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area