Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 18,145 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I would love to hear some opinions about the city, particularly from those who have lived in Colorado.

Probably too much background info:

I was born and raised in Colorado, went to Boulder for my undergrad, and am now getting ready to go to graduate school out of state. Having lived here for 24 years now, I am very tired of being in the same place. I do love the mountains though, and I know it will be a "culture shock" no matter where I go, since I haven't experienced anything else yet in life!

I'll be studying to become a physician assistant, which if you aren't familiar with the career, involves a VERY intense 2.5 years of what is essentially medical school. That is the key thing to keep in mind. I already know that my life will basically revolve around campus and I will NOT have the same freedom to get out and explore the area like so many other people my age. At best, I may go out for drinks once a month... if that.

So far, I have had interviews at 3 programs. They are varied to say the least:

- Phoenix (specifically, Midwestern in Glendale)
- Chicago (Midwestern's other location in Downer's Grove)
- Portland (Oregon Health and Science University)

So we have lots of heat, tons of population, and lots of overcast/rain. All pretty much... extreme, compared to what I'm used to in Boulder/Denver.

I was not a fan of Chicago, mostly because of the lack of mountains. I really hated not seeing anything in all directions, other than more city. Also, there was no peace anywhere. Highways, traffic, people and congestion. Perhaps I'm just not used to it, since I've been living in towns no larger than 200,000 people. I'm currently in Portland and even after 2 days of the rain (although I know it's much better in the summer) I'm a little afraid of being depressed by the lack of sunlight on top of the stress of school. I loved Midwestern's campus in Glendale, but the lack of seasons and sprawl is making me nervous.

I've been reading these forums and have seen no shortage of complaints about how there isn't a nightlife or much to do for young 20-somethings like me. However, I'm not looking to date anyone right now (will hopefully be able to continue my current relationship during school) and I just won't be looking to entertain myself THAT often. What is nice about Arizona is the fact that I'd have lots of daylight hours, the ability to go biking/hiking/jogging in the mornings almost year-round, and no worries about weather preventing me from ever getting to class or clinical rotations.

Considering it's only 2 years, do you think the novelty of the heat and sun would wear off that quickly?

Do any of you actually live in Glendale? How are apartments in the area? My only requirement is that they allow both of my cats, and a washer/dryer IN the unit would be a big plus... I have spent the past 4 years walking up and down 4 flights of stairs with laundry and I am over that.

Thanks for reading my novel; I would just appreciate any stories from people my age or who only lived in the Phoenix area for a few years. I think a lot of the complaints I'm seeing are probably true for ANY big city, or for anyone who has lived in one place for too long. I know there are tons of people fighting to come to Colorado, but after 24 years, even that can wear on you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 11:17 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Personally, I would chose the school over the area. Look at which program is the best quality-wise. I wouldn't be as worried about location for now. You're young, you can pack up and move anywheres after your program is done. I'd be more focused on which place offers the best education and financing of it, if that's applicable.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:57 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,341 times
I've never lived in Boulder. I have visited there many times throughout the years because I have some family that work at CU.

I live by Midwestern and It's a nice little area. Everything you'll need is within a short distance(half mile) and the apartments within walking distance all have pools and laundry in the apts. They just built a few more apartment buildings on campus. They seem decent, not sure if they have laundry in them.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:03 PM

56 posts, read 153,069 times
I grew up in NW Phoenix and now live in Colorado (have only visited Portland and Chicago a couple of times for short periods so I can't really provide a real opinion on them). My first recommendation is to make your decision on what the school has to offer for your career, not the city but you didn't ask that soooo.....

Some things about the area near Midwestern-Glendale campus. It's a newer community (20 years) where Boulder probably has more history to it - you'll notice the difference in the architecture. This area of town is more suburban but there are a few colleges in the area like Thunderbird Int'l School of Mgmt and the ASU West campus. I think the people at your campus as well as Thunderbird are in a different phase of their life than what you'd find at ASU in Tempe (the area in Tempe is more of the same feel of CU Boulder... Pearl Street ~ Mill Avenue).

You might need to get in the car and drive to the nearest mountain / desert versus hopping on your bike and going to a trail in Boulder. The area directly surrounding Midwestern's campus is pretty flat but you can get to the outdoors within a short distance. This is one drawback I think to Arizona - there really aren't a lot of trails incorporated into communities like Colorado. If you want to be part of the outdoors you need to (in general, unless you live on a mountain preserve) get in your car and get to them. Lake Pleasant is near and is fun to go if you have a boat or like to fish. There's some places (can't think of them right now) that we used to go to go off-roading when I was younger that are near Lake Pleasant.

Arrowhead mall is in the area. It's decent, not my favorite. It has a lot of restaurants and big box stores on the outside. The Peoria Sports Complex is near Midwestern too so if you want to catch any games or any cool concerts that come to town. If you really want to go out for a night on the town to clubs, Scottsdale is a lot more fun in my opinion. I know a lot of people that like Salty Senoritas for a night out on the west side - have not been there myself and I'm sure there are plenty of local places the Midwestern people like too.

About the weather ~ there are positives and negatives about both. Phoenix does not have the 4 seasons - just 2 - hot and cooler. One thing I love about Colorado is autumn - it's just so beautiful and something Phoenix just does not have (plus autumn in Colorado makes for the BEST running weather). However, Phoenix has an awesome spring - even desert plants have flowers that are pretty. I tend to get a little depressed in Colorado between Jan & March when we get a lot of snow. The summers in Phoenix are brutal and I used to have my colds during that time of year probably from going from one extreme to the other. The one thing I always remember about the summers are getting out of the shower and still feeling like my scalp is already sweating with wet hair...never made any sense. Yes, it's hot and you will get used to it...just make sure wherever you land has a pool for those days you have a day off and want to cool off. Also, if you do like to run throughout the year - maybe have an apt with a fitness center, join a gym, or hopefully Midwestern has gym facilities you can take advantage during a break between classes. The hot weather affects my running and in the summer it just does not cool off in the evening or even when you wake up in Arizona ~ so I personally can't run outside in the summer months but I know there are some people that do it.

2 years is a really short period of time and wherever you land, you will probably not be able to 'do' all the extra stuff since you will be consumed with your studies. You will probably find good and bad with anyplace you end up at. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2010, 01:36 PM

Thanks so much for the replies, everyone. I knew I would somehow leave out details despite my novel of a post, LOL.

All of you (rightly) made the point of considering the program more than the location- don't worry, I've been doing that part since I first submitted applications! These 3 programs were already my top choices, and I was fortunate to have interviews at all of them and be accepted at two so far. However, even if I'll only be in one place for two years, my surroundings are still important to me. If I can't enjoy the few hours outside of class then my grades and happiness will certainly suffer. That's the main reason I was so disappointed with Chicago, and less so with Portland now. Phoenix seemed amazing, but I was there in October and only for 4 days. It felt like a vacation at the time but I'm sure I won't be singing that same tune if I deal with the heat for 365 straight days.

Cost-wise, there is almost no difference among the 3 programs, all offer a similar variety of rotations, and since I don't plan on living in any of these areas permanently, the ability to network with local doctors wasn't a huge issue for me either.

@suburbgal- I hear you on the winter depression. Every single year I've lived here, November through March have been pretty miserable. It doesn't help now that I work 12 hour shifts at a hospital, so I see pitch black when I get up and come home at night!

Even if the mountains and hiking aren't right outside my door, is there any sort of public (paved or not) trail system in Glendale?

Here's another random question that maybe one of you could answer.. in Boulder, there is a little Mediterranean/Asian market that sells things like bulk gyros meat, which makes for a great meal at home. Do you know of any similar places in Glendale?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Oregon Health Sciences University is head and shoulders and a few other body parts above those other two programs. Deal with the rain in Portland, (you'll be so busy studying inside you won't care that much) if you are really concerned about the quality of education, and then go live elsewhere if you've had enough of that beautiful, but wet, state.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Oregon Health Sciences University is head and shoulders and a few other body parts above those other two programs. Deal with the rain in Portland, (you'll be so busy studying inside you won't care that much) if you are really concerned about the quality of education, and then go live elsewhere if you've had enough of that beautiful, but wet, state.
It's actually interesting that you say that, as I just finished my interview recently and was not impressed with the program whatsoever. You're right, the actual hospital and facilities there are probably some of the best in the nation... but the only students who truly have access to them are in the nursing and medical schools. The PA program feels like an afterthought here- between the terribly outdated building, the complete lack of parking, the excessive tuition, and OHSU's single-minded obsession over PANCE pass rates (oh really, 100%? I didn't hear you the first 50 times you said it!), I knew it was NOT the school for me. I will be attending my top choice, Midwestern.

Of course, everyone's mileage will vary... but I am very glad I was able to interview there and see what the program is truly like. A 3% difference in passing rates is negligible compared to all the faults I saw throughout the day. We aren't even allowed to dissect our own cadavers! Absurd...

Old 11-01-2010, 10:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Thanks for that additional information. Best of luck to you, whereever you end up!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacat View Post

Even if the mountains and hiking aren't right outside my door, is there any sort of public (paved or not) trail system in Glendale? I see all kinds of Lance Armstrong wannabes on the weekends.

Here's another random question that maybe one of you could answer.. in Boulder, there is a little Mediterranean/Asian market that sells things like bulk gyros meat, which makes for a great meal at home. Do you know of any similar places in Glendale?
1. There is a paved bike path that goes from the South of Glendale to the Northern part right by Midwestern.

1.5. I go here at least a few times a month. Less when it's hot and more(3 times this week!) when it's nice. 1.5 milesish from Midwestern. Glendale, AZ - Parks and Recreation - Thunderbird Park

2. No idea. There is a place a half mile North in the Fry's(grocery store) strip mall the sells gyros. The local asian place(lee lee's) about 5 miles away doesn't sell that as far as I know. I saw a good eats episode on how to make it yourself,

Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 AM

56 posts, read 153,069 times
Pita Jungle is good in Tempe and there used to be one off of University in Denver that I liked. I believe there is a PJ in Glendale too. Chicago Gyros is pretty good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area