Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 12:24 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
Ponderosa,

Good information on this. In the West Valley, we have a lot of problems with air quality due to the I-10 cooridor, with cross-country trucks going from Southern California and using Phoenix as a pathway. Let's hope we can try to get a handle on this problems, because it is another commonly cited reason for why people dont' want to raise families here.
In defense of the trucks, they are getting better. They now use ultra low sulfur diesel and some have particulate traps. As the older ones get replaced this source will be reduced. Nevertheless, I have to agree with Boone Pickens that we should convert our OTR truck fleet to CNG. It would cost billions and billions but pay so many dividends (not just to Pickens, either) including an improvement in air quality.

BTW, other than "you" and a maybe a poster or two on this forum, I have never heard anyone say they don't want to raise a family here because of air quality. I rarely even hear a comment about it, again except for various malcontents on C-D who whip it and everything else way out of proportion. It hasn't stopped CA from being the most desirable place to move in the US and it won't stop AZ either - particularly given the relatively good "suburban" air we have. Now take a deep breath before you respond.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 11-23-2010 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 PM

523 posts, read 937,112 times
Ponderosa,

Good thoughts on the advancement in truck pollution reduction. I just hope the improvements can be sustained with the down economy, as shipping companies have to skimp with less and less. Another problem we have to face is truck traffic coming through from Mexico, as their regulations are much lower but they can still use our roadways in many circumstances. It's a safety hazard.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:14 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Yeah, I don't quite get the whole preoccupation with air quality myself (but then I smoke ), when Phoenix is number 2 kidnapping capital in the world. I'd be far more concerned about kidnapping than breathing an occasional whiff of bad air. Let's face it, there are carcinogens in EVERYTHING. Pick your poison. Heck, all one has to do is drive on certain freeways here and the odds aren't all that unbelievable of getting squished like a bug!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:22 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
...I'd be far more concerned about kidnapping than breathing an occasional whiff of bad air. ...
The odds of the average person being kidnapped are extremely low. Now, if you happen to belong to a drug cartel, your odds get a lot higher .

Old 11-23-2010, 04:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
The odds of the average person being kidnapped are extremely low. Now, if you happen to belong to a drug cartel, your odds get a lot higher .
Hey, only Bogota, Colombia is before Phoenix. Those are not odds I'd want to chance. I would never have kids in this town. Heck, I'd barely let my dogs be in my car for more than a couple of minutes thinking they'd be snatched.

The odds of being killed in many ways (or kidnapped) are not that high (well, there were 1200 fatalities on Phoenix freeways last time I checked. Those are pretty high odds IMHO). In fact, I avoided driving the 202 for 18 months not feeling it was safe and the VERY FIRST time I drove it after 18 months someone hit the center median, crossed over four lanes of traffic, and smashed into the right divide. What are the odds? I am just lucky I was 50 yards behind.

But if one is really concerned about EXTERNAL factors, there are far more serious things than a bit of a brown haze once in a while.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:15 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Quote:
Hey, only Bogota, Colombia is before Phoenix. Those are not odds I'd want to chance. I would never have kids in this town. Heck, I'd barely let my dogs be in my car for more than a couple of minutes thinking they'd be snatched.
Wow.

Seriously?

Wow.

The folks in Phoenix who are being kidnapped are the illegal immigrants that are being held against their will for more money by "coyotes" in drop houses. If you are not an illegal immigrant being "helped" by a "coyote" then your odds of being kidnapped are no greater than any other major U.S. city.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:26 PM

mistygrl,

"Hey, only Bogota, Colombia is before Phoenix. Those are not odds I'd want to chance. I would never have kids in this town. Heck, I'd barely let my dogs be in my car for more than a couple of minutes thinking they'd be snatched.

The odds of being killed in many ways (or kidnapped) are not that high (well, there were 1200 fatalities on Phoenix freeways last time I checked. Those are pretty high odds IMHO). In fact, I avoided driving the 202 for 18 months not feeling it was safe and the VERY FIRST time I drove it after 18 months someone hit the center median, crossed over four lanes of traffic, and smashed into the right divide. What are the odds? I am just lucky I was 50 yards behind.

But if one is really concerned about EXTERNAL factors, there are far more serious things than a bit of a brown haze once in a while."

The kidnapping problem does cost us taxpayers a tremendous amount of money, which is very bothersome to me. We have to dedicate so many officers to each scene that it takes away from crime prevention and response to other criminal activity. I think the police departments do a good job with what they have, but it isn't nearly enough in many parts of town.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 AM

295 posts, read 552,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNorthwestScott View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------

How could you only come up with 10?
I bet I could come up with a few hundred
This is like a religious/political debate and the hardcore defenders never want to see the problems. Just like in a family where one of the kids is going over the edge and the parents will always support the kid because it's their kid.
I don't live here anymore but still find myself here about 2 weeks a month on a work assignment. Compared to other parts of the country Phoenix lacks so much and offers so little. Five months of "nice weather" does not make up for all the negatives. But if you are trying to build a "white enclave" of older, uneducated, gun-toters then come on down.
JMO
This is sadly when my neighbor left last month. It's just too hard sometimes when you don't have family around to help. It isn't real good for the kids, it can be taxing unless it can be worked out.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:58 AM

misty,

"Hey, only Bogota, Colombia is before Phoenix. Those are not odds I'd want to chance. I would never have kids in this town. Heck, I'd barely let my dogs be in my car for more than a couple of minutes thinking they'd be snatched."

Some of it also has to do with where you live. Some areas have a bigger kidnapping problem than others.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:57 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Like areas where they trade in humans.............

Kidnapping is directly related to the illegal immigration issue with a dash of drugs thrown in

I can say that it's not even close to being on my radar of concerns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area