U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2007, 07:21 PM

20 posts, read 68,337 times

Advertisements

I find the negativity on this board quite confusing. Phoenix continues to be one of the fastest growing cities in the country, yet all I find on this board is negativity. Everyone that I talk to that has moved to Phoenix or the few that have moved from there, absolutely love it!?!
I am using this board as one source of information as to whether to move to Phoenix (or not). Please explain the contradication. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 07:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 11,012,518 times
Mainly people who come on these forums are those who are looking for a new place to call home. They will also go on their own state/city forum and vent about why they don't like it here and try to convince others not to move here too and make the "mistake" they made. But everyone is different and many will love it here and many won't. You don't know until you try.

When I found this forum I was one of the negative ones and was trying to find a better place. But after reading so much negativity and meeting some who love it here, I started to see the positives. I eventually began to STOP hating it here and started to defend some of the negativity. The positive people made me see what I was missing. I've been here for 32 years and never liked it more in Phx/AZ then I have in the last year. So, I'm pretty happy about finding this forum.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:22 PM

28,242 posts, read 21,207,258 times
The negativity is to try and keep more people from moving to Paradise. It's getting crowded here now.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The negativity is to try and keep more people from moving to Paradise. It's getting crowded here now.
I have thoughts about being more negative just for this reason. But then I remind myself that I want my home to appreciate a lot more (I bought in the high market).

Old 07-07-2007, 08:55 PM

I also think that there are people here that are just plain negative in general and complain about everything in their life.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:58 PM

28,242 posts, read 21,207,258 times
Yep! You hit the nail on the head...you win a kewpie doll!

Old 07-07-2007, 08:58 PM

51 posts, read 119,944 times
My family moved to Phoenix in 1958 when I was a toddler, and I lived there or in the metro area until my own kids were grown. There were times that I loved it, and times that I hated it. Looking back, I think those times were mostly affected by circumstances and relationships. When times were tough (loved one died, etc.) the heat seemed hotter, the traffic "meaner" and the air seemed so polluted I couldn't breathe. But when times were good (kids' baseball games or recitals, etc.) things just seemed to "work," you know? There really is a lot good about anyplace, I suppose, but mostly it's up to us to see it.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:46 PM

268 posts, read 858,972 times
Quote:
Lot's of negativity, yet Phoenix continues to boom
!
2 thoughts

The grass is always greener somewhere else and some people do not want more people to come to Phoenix and so they try to discourage them.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:00 PM

1,539 posts, read 4,114,567 times
I don't know the exact statistic, but I've heard something along the lines of "for every two people who move here, one leaves." In other words, a lot of people relocate here, but relocation doesn't work out well for everyone. That's true not only for Phoenix, but also for many high-growth areas. In some cases, it may be a bad match between person and place, but in other cases it has nothing to do with the city itself, but instead with the person's circumstances. Moving far away from familiar territory, friends, and family is always a difficult transition, no matter how attractive the new location. For some people, comparisons to their places of origin never stop, and they never learn to appreciate Phoenix on its own terms, which continue to change as the city grows and matures.

While the negativity in some threads can be annoying, I've got to agree with some of the views mentioned above. If it weren't for some negativity and out-migration, the population here would grow even more explosively that it already has, making problems of traffic, pollution, etc. far worse than they are now. In other words, some negativity and discontent is probably a good release valve for a fast-growing area.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:10 PM

42,951 posts, read 19,880,755 times
Quote:
I am using this board as one source of information as to whether to move to Phoenix (or not). Please explain the contradication. Thanks in advance.
That question might be a little tough to answer MidwestIrish. Phoenix is not one of those cities everyone falls in love with right away. and all I can say is, you may or you may not like Phoenix. If you like the mild weather from October through the middle of May, and you can deal with the hot weather from late May until late September, then I can say you'll love Phoenix, otherwise don't waste your time and resources moving here then end up moving out a year or 2 later.

The best thing to do is visit Phoenix during the hottest time of the year, which is now, and check out the town. Like any other big city, we have our share of problems, but if you can set those aside, you'll be happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area