U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-09-2010, 03:01 PM

6,084 posts, read 9,205,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Now, you have people that are told they are overqualified! what?
Overqualified is just a euphemism for "too old".

Unread 11-09-2010, 03:07 PM

5,453 posts, read 3,411,459 times
I thought so....

and it is all because employers here want to keep all the money and don't want To pay fair wages....simply enough.....

Is 30 to old? or it starts at 25???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

Unread 11-09-2010, 03:14 PM

It's got nothing to do with "here". It's the same everywhere. Employee payroll is an employers biggest expense, and so is the FIRST place they cut costs. Sometimes it's just greed, and other times it's economics. Regardless, the older you get, the more you're going to hear this.

Unread 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,786,003 times
Quote:
Nah, it doesn't mean "too old". It means "We'd like to have you work for us but we refuse to pay you what you're worth".

Unread 11-09-2010, 05:03 PM

Not really. If they wanted you, but didn't want to pay you what you're worth, they'd give you a low-ball offer. That happens a lot in this economy, people taking jobs that are a step backwards, just to put food on the table. On the other hand, if an employer says you're overqualified and turns you away with no offer at all, that means they don't like you, but can't legally give you the real reason why.

Unread 11-09-2010, 10:15 PM

523 posts, read 467,451 times
"It's got nothing to do with "here". It's the same everywhere. Employee payroll is an employers biggest expense, and so is the FIRST place they cut costs. Sometimes it's just greed, and other times it's economics. Regardless, the older you get, the more you're going to hear this."

Keep the head though. Even though it's not going to get better in the Phoenix labor market, people can still do things like being even more frugal and continue consolidating with loved ones.

Unread 11-10-2010, 08:25 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,786,003 times
Quote:
Not really. If they wanted you, but didn't want to pay you what you're worth, they'd give you a low-ball offer. That happens a lot in this economy, people taking jobs that are a step backwards, just to put food on the table. On the other hand, if an employer says you're overqualified and turns you away with no offer at all, that means they don't like you, but can't legally give you the real reason why.
I've only been told I was "over qualified" for a job only one time. And that was years ago but I was also TOLD that they couldn't pay me what I was worth at the time. It was an entry level job, I was desperate and would've taken it. The ones who didn't like me just didn't hire me, regardless of my experience. However, most restaurants will hire anybody! Oh...the job I applied for, way back when, wasn't a restaurant job. It was bookkeeping/accounting.

Unread 11-10-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've only been told I was "over qualified" for a job only one time. And that was years ago but I was also TOLD that they couldn't pay me what I was worth at the time. It was an entry level job, I was desperate and would've taken it.
So, they lied. What employer is going to turn down a more qualified candidate who's willing to work for the same pay as a less qualified candidate? That's like you going into a car dealer and saying, "That's too nice of a car for the money. Please give me a worse one."

Unread 11-10-2010, 10:55 AM

523 posts, read 467,451 times
kdog,

It is a problem with the inherent importance of money in a employer decision being made. Unless there is another way to justify the expense, much of it comes down to employee cost in turning people away.

Unread 11-11-2010, 02:48 PM

185 posts, read 99,086 times
@Discovery1 THANK YOU. My thought is exactly. When I go on monster.com or dice.com, I see several job ads for people who have skills in computing (programming). People don't realize that the unemployment rate is a mix of "college graduates" vs. "non graduates". Job prospects are better for people who are schooled or trained in a certain profession (in other words: have some type of skill that is desirable).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area