U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 11,597 times
Default African American Dermatologists in Phx

Does anyone know of any African American Dermatologists in the Phx area?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 PM

937 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Black epidermis isnt much different than caucasian skin treatment wise, so any dermatologist should be able to help you.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 PM

16 posts, read 72,717 times
Default AZ Dermatologists Who Specialize in African American Skin

qnnubian,

Actually there is a significant difference in skin amongst African Americans (i.e. scaring, procedures, care etc.) which is why there's a subsection taught in college concerning Ethnic Dermatology.

Although there may be a few dermatologist here that may be familiar with ethnic skin here (familiar...not experts), there's one that I heard about that knows a great deal about AA skin. Her name is Dr. Toni Stockton and she has her own practice called," Stockton Dermatology". The number is 480-610-6366 and I believe that she has 2 locations - one in Mesa and a new one in Phoenix. Her website is stocktondermatlogy(dot)com.

Now, be aware that because she is maybe one of 3 dermatologists that focus on ethnic skin, she's usually booked up. So start with her website because I think she has a list of all of the insurance programs she accepts. If yours is on the list then give her a call but expect to wait a few months.

Hope this helps!

J. Blaize

Old 02-18-2010, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,851 times
not true, burt

Old 02-19-2010, 03:25 AM

9,010 posts, read 9,413,552 times
Yes, it's true there are subtle differences but any dermatologist can effectively manage African American patients as they are required to be able to competently treat all skin types. What I suspect is ocuring is certain dermatologists are marketing themselves in such a way to secure more patients and/or develop a niche for themselves. I certainly don't have a problem with an African American patient preferring to be seen by an African American dermatologist or whoever they feel most comfortable with. However, African American patients should not be misled into thinking they must see an African American dermatologist or one who claims to "specialize" in Black skin to be treated effectively.

Lastly, African Americans vary tremendously from a genetic standpoint. We tend to socially group people but in terms of biology, there is so much variation among each race. Some Blacks will have skin that is very caucasion like. This reminds me of a young African American girl I once knew. She didn't wear sunscreen because she was told that Blacks don't have to wear it because they are dark. The poor thing got severely burned. And even dark skinned people can get sun burned with prolonged exposure although they have a much better natural "SPF" with the increased melanin content. Nonetheless, this is a tall tale among lay people that minorities don't require sunscreen.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM

16,585 posts, read 19,558,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMack80 View Post
Quote from azriverfan: "...but any dermatologist can effectively manage African American patients as they are required to be able to competently treat all skin types."

I am an African American woman that has suffered from acne scarring since highschool. I went to see Dr. Nelson at Associated Dermatologists in Tucson, AZ and he told me there is nothing he could do for me to treat my scars/blemishes! ;( He said that he could treat reoccuring acne pimples (which I do not have), but that there was nothing in existence that would treat my dark acne scars....I wasted my time going to see him and I will never go back again. Not to mention, the staff was rude and I was totally let down. I left his office devastated!

All dermatologists "can not" treat African American skin! I would advise everyone not to go to Associated Dermatologists in Tucson, AZ! It was a complete waste of time and Dr. Nelson was not knowledgeable of any products that can treat African American acne scars!!! If anyone knows of any good black dermatologists in the Tucson/Phoenix area, please suggest! I will contact Toni Stockton, a black female dermatologists in Mesa/Phoenix area. Thanks for the previous posts!
My wife was a patient of Dr. Stockton when she was younger. Stockton is very well known and respected in treatment of AAs (and others). They got the acne under control, but the dark scars are still there to some degree and she uses makeup on them. Even my kids (mixed) are plagued with the tendency to form dark scars on minor cuts and such. Definitely have a consult with Dr. Stockton. If nothing else, you will be assured that everything you can do has been done. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:48 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,152,884 times
It's an interesting topic, but you revived a year old dormant thread.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 AM

5,732 posts, read 5,064,601 times
Yenbabe Mengesha, MD - Phoenix, AZ

Old 04-02-2011, 09:52 PM

234 posts, read 377,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Yes, it's true there are subtle differences but any dermatologist can effectively manage African American patients as they are required to be able to competently treat all skin types. What I suspect is ocuring is certain dermatologists are marketing themselves in such a way to secure more patients and/or develop a niche for themselves. I certainly don't have a problem with an African American patient preferring to be seen by an African American dermatologist or whoever they feel most comfortable with. However, African American patients should not be misled into thinking they must see an African American dermatologist or one who claims to "specialize" in Black skin to be treated effectively.
+rep, I cannot agree more.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:57 PM

9,010 posts, read 9,413,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yenbabe Mengesha, MD - Phoenix, AZ
He is not a dermatologist. He is an General Internal Medicine physician. I know him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area