Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times

Advertisements

Back in '05 I came out to Phoenix and stopped by a Toys R Us on a whim and was shocked to see that the store was old school TRU with the A, B and C aisles. I'm curious to know if this store is still around. A Google search yields two hits: Metro Center and N Tatum. However, I remember this TRU as being near downtown but I went all over Phoenix on that trip and my memory might be skewed. My friend who lives out here does not recall where it was. One thing I recall is a high end bar or Italian restaurant next door.

Do I have the location wrong or was there an old school TRU near downtown no longer in business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
OMG, if Toys R US is your biggest concern over Phoenix over all these years, you've missed a LOT!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
I think it was on Camelback and 7th Street. I know the land was on the market because a buddy of mine was thinking of buying and re-developing the property 5-6 years ago. I'm sure it's closed. I shop at the store at Ray and 56th Street, and they have tons of smaller stores everywhere open just for the holidays.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
OMG, if Toys R US is your biggest concern over Phoenix over all these years, you've missed a LOT!
Thanks for the hyperbole. I just wanted to know where this store is/was.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:48 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
It was in the area between 7th and Central, on Camelback (not at the intersection). That location is gone now. I remember YEARS ago being on my way there Christmas shopping when it started to snow. I got to Toys R Us, and the kids coming out were so excited.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It was in the area between 7th and Central, on Camelback (not at the intersection). That location is gone now. I remember YEARS ago being on my way there Christmas shopping when it started to snow. I got to Toys R Us, and the kids coming out were so excited.
You deliver yet again! Too bad it's gone. I wanted to stop by. I was wondering why it was left alone.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:19 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
It's been redeveloped, the restaurant you were probably thinking of was the 2-story Irish restaurant/bar Rosie McCaffrey's next door (still there, and worth stopping in for lunch).

I stopped in there occasionally to buy stuff for my kids (Toys-R-Us, not the Irish bar), and also remember it being very old school. The nice things about it were a) a ginormous parking lot that it didn't have to share with anyone else, and b) no one ever seemed to go there. No long lines anytime I went there (even during holidays), shopping was easy. (Probably why they went under.) It almost felt like it was a front for something nefarious,

There was a World Gym or other big chain across the street that also went out of business. There is a new Carvelle's there now, with the amazing Butterburgers and shakes. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: