Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 01:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Did you read that, Henry? Apparently, according to Boompa, you're not quite a NAZI, but you "do stand for the image of grumpy old fascists".

Boompa, did you even think before you posted?
Actually I quoted a local paper, so that was their opinion, which I agree with. I lived there, glad to be away from them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 02:27 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Actually I quoted a local paper, so that was their opinion, which I agree with. I lived there, glad to be away from them
So you do think Henry is like "Hitler Youth gone Geriatric"? Are you trying to equate the volunteer service he did/does as NAZIism? Does every post of yours have some sort of reference to NAZIs?

I really don't get you, Boompa, I really don't.

As for Henry, thank you for helping keep us safe at the mall and being a part of search and rescue. The latter part--search and rescue--shows that you are truly an unsung hero.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:56 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
We are not going to have another discussion on the Phoenix forum that degenerates into comparisons to Nazis, Hitler, etc. Please keep your comments on topic, or the thread will be closed. Thanks.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:58 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Quote:
With over fifty different Posses, there are many ways in which the residents of Maricopa County are helping support their local Officers.

From assisting with animal cruelty to searching for lost hikers, these volunteers do it all.

The greatest resource that any community can have is volunteers.
In times of need, such as a recession or depression, organizations of all types and sizes have to downsize.

Unlike most companies, however, law enforcement can not stop just because of budget cuts or political views. The laws must be enforced and the citizens of every community must feel safe...
I salute Sheriff Joe and all the Posse members.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:45 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,593 times
Sheriff Joe is nothing more than a thug with a badge.
I don't think having a posse is such a bad idea, however, I would wonder about anyone anyone who stands with SJ and works under him.
If people are volunteering time and effort because they are truly worried about crime that's great, but there's no doubt in my mind there are those who go out and do these patrols, just waiting for someone who doesn't "look right" in their eyes to harass. Especially if they are the wrong color or not speaking English.
I saw on the news the other day ....a lady stated she wouldn't go to the mall (I'm assuming it was metro) because they did not use the patrols. She further went on about crime and the "Big Hispanic population" that that freguents that mall.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:50 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I won't go as far as the West Valley View, which called them "Hitler Youth gone Geriatric" but they do stand for the image of grumpy old fascists that Sherriff Joe gives the country. I'm glad to be away from them
Quote:
Did you read that, Henry? Apparently, according to Boompa, you're not quite a NAZI, but you "do stand for the image of grumpy old fascists".

Boompa, did you even think before you posted?
NOT ALL POSSE MEMBERS ARE FOND OF SHERIFF JOE AND HIS TACTICS THAT HE DOES AT TIME WITH THE PUBLIC AND PUBLIC FUNDS ALONG WITH SOME OF THE SOCALLED WITCH HUNTS THAT HE SEAMS TO HAVE GONE ON WITH SOME OF THE PUBLIC OFFICIALS WHO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT HIS WAYS WITH PUBLIC FUNDS ..

but i do like some of the things that he has done with the jail and other areas with the chain gangs and cutting out things inside the jail ..but as far other things i never seen the reason behind needing a 50.cal machine gun and APC for the sheriff dept to use ..but that me for if the problem did jump off with Sky Habor airport the Air Force is at Luke could be on scene and handleing the airplane before it ever got close to the downtown Phx area ..

for Luke Air Base is less than 3 minutes flight time from the downtown area .. but haveing a heavy duty anti aircraft type machine gun mounted on APC and saying it for socalled dealing with the things at the airport is a little to much to some of the long time posse members when it speaking about thing behind closed doors with other posse members ..

i can see use the APC with a ram to bust open crack house and to going into the socalled reforced type cartel drug house that starting to pop up in the valley and other areas of the country ..

but as far as some of the comments about the Hitler Youth gone Geriatric is pretty funny at times ..for it funny to watch some young guy gets his butt handed to him by a old Geriatric guy who does not want to put up with his lip in the first place when he out trying to help the public ..

Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I salute Sheriff Joe and all the Posse members.
ME TOO, Captain . . .

Obviously common criminals dislike Sheriff Joe but honest law abiding citizens have nothing but praise and respect for him.

Isn't it amazing how so many are quick to criticize the alleged money he has cost while never mentioning the millions of dollars he has saved the taxpayers? Also, personal safety is priceless.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:30 PM

88 posts, read 181,843 times
Default So let me clarify with specifics,

OK, I started this thread and I will take responsibility for it's degeneration away from topic.

Ritchie was kind enough to post an overview of the posse's duties**
and after reading the responses on the thread I do tend to agree with all but four.

**From Ritchies Post:
  • search and rescue
  • emergency communications
  • prisoner transport
  • traffic control
  • backup for sworn deputies
  • office administrative duties
  • Holiday Mall Patrol (which provides motorist assistance and security for shoppers during the holiday shopping season)
  • deadbeat parent details targeting men and women with outstanding arrest warrants for failure to pay child support.
  • Assisting in immigration sweeps.
I am uncomfortable with 1-Mall Patrol (which may take care of itself), 2-Backup for/"as" sworn deputies, 3-Prisoner transport, and 4-Immigration sweeps.

The people I have seen over the years in the Posse have been mostly older and being honest here, "somewhat out of shape". I don't know if I want armed individuals taking care of those 4 obligations mentioned above.

I believe (JMO) that the Malls going forward will make choices as to whether or not they want the image of Sheriff Joe's Posse to "patrol" their real estate. Let me be so un-PC as to say that if the mall's demographics include a significant amount of Hispanic/Latino shoppers you will see a retreat from Sheriff Joe's Posse from Mall Management to a more culturally appropriate security. I don't want to get off into 1070 land but it has had an effect that most non-Hispanic/Latinos still have not realized.

As to the other 3, Prisoner Transport, Backup for Deputies, and the all controversial Immigration Sweeps, I am more than uneasy. I would rather pay more in taxes to have those handled at a qualified paid employee level than by volunteers.

It really comes down to what image this state wants to project. There is not enough talent within to sustain and grow---you need to have some talented outside forces come here to spur the economy and promote education, not deride it.

Here is an obscure video that sums up where I think this state should not be headed but it does seems to be on a full speed collision course aided by popular sentiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhEpl8n-BhE

That is really NOT what you want if you want to see Arizona grow and thrive economically.
Again JMO.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:06 PM

155 posts, read 477,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Joe is good for publicity. I was a fan myself before I moved to AZ. I liked the image that was sold: tough on crime, pink panties, tents and bread & water. Love all that jazz. But then I move here and see the corruption and it's disgusting. This guy is getting rich arresting Mexicans and crackheads. He's not providing anything for Maricopa County. Just bells, whistles and lots of corruption.
Wow! Isn't a sheriff's job but to arrest those crackheads and illegal aliens? Or is he there to protecting the rights of people like you who might be the very ones protesting and expecting the right to do so?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
So you do think Henry is like "Hitler Youth gone Geriatric"? Are you trying to equate the volunteer service he did/does as NAZIism? Does every post of yours have some sort of reference to NAZIs?

I really don't get you, Boompa, I really don't.

As for Henry, thank you for helping keep us safe at the mall and being a part of search and rescue. The latter part--search and rescue--shows that you are truly an unsung hero.
I didn't do the equating the West Valley View did, so it isn't just my opinion. I am not refering to a single person but the Posse as a whole, which is the subject of the thread. The idea that no one is allowed to have a differing opinion is the reason behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area