Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times

Advertisements

and yet you still have zero real basis for such a comment

I've been involved with capital budgeting projects for major financial firms .... i can assure you that even the most basic decision has pages of factors going into it for both short run and long run outcomes and every step in between .... those were just the real easy basic ones they'd let a guy like me in on

there is nothing basic or easy about the agreement that was entered and the situation surrounding it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:48 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
and yet you still have zero real basis for such a comment

I've been involved with capital budgeting projects for major financial firms .... i can assure you that even the most basic decision has pages of factors going into it for both short run and long run outcomes and every step in between .... those were just the real easy basic ones they'd let a guy like me in on

there is nothing basic or easy about the agreement that was entered and the situation surrounding it
It is pretty basic when you consider how the economy is dismal, the state has a serious budget crisis, people are being denied life-saving transplants, basic services are being slashed, and Glendale can somehow come up with hundreds of millions to save the NHL team.

Some people really need to set their priorities straight.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:08 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
People keep bringing up the transplants. There is absolutely no connection. If Glendale didn't subsidize the Coyotes and found spare change in their pockets, they wouldn't be sending the money to the state to help pay for transplants.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:15 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Another sad day in the history of this area. Tax dollars flying out the window to subsidize billionaire sports teams owners. Where does it end? Obviously not Glendale where citizens are now in hock for nearly 1 billion dollars given away in bad deals to rich guys. All these bonds are going to cost citizens of that city dearly.
Unfortunately, it doesn't end. Using tax dollars to subsidize sports is completely uncalled for ... especially when these major leagues are loaded with millionaires & billionaires (including the players) who could easily chip in and flip the bill if they really wanted to keep the team in Glendale. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the population in Glendale and nearby west Valley suburbs wouldn't give a damn if the Coyotes abandoned Jobing.com Arena and moved either to the east Valley or out of state. Where was the vote from the CITIZENS???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Pay attention newcomers. You can avoid the costs and get the benefits by living in a nearby city like Goodyear or Surprise. Stay away from Glendale. They were already in deep financial trouble and this decision will be the nail in their financial coffin.
Or ... move to the east Valley if they are true hockey fans. After all, that seems to be where the majority of hockey fans are located. I still say that if the Coyotes stadium was located in closer proximity to where most of the fan base is, attendance would be higher, and tax money wouldn't have to be used to try to keep the team.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Unfortunately, it doesn't end. Using tax dollars to subsidize sports is completely uncalled for ... especially when these major leagues are loaded with millionaires & billionaires (including the players) who could easily chip in and flip the bill if they really wanted to keep the team in Glendale. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the population in Glendale and nearby west Valley suburbs wouldn't give a damn if the Coyotes abandoned Jobing.com Arena and moved either to the east Valley or out of state. Where was the vote from the CITIZENS???

Or ... move to the east Valley if they are true hockey fans. After all, that seems to be where the majority of hockey fans are located. I still say that if the Coyotes stadium was located in closer proximity to where most of the fan base is, attendance would be higher, and tax money wouldn't have to be used to try to keep the team.
I have said that myself though I don't have anything to back it up. Do you? Hockey has a reputation for appealing to blue collar, working class males like NASCAR. I would think that they would also have to be from the midwest to have much of a hockey-head. Is that what are in the east valley predominantly? There are plenty of blue collar midwest transplants in the central and west valley, too. I think winning is probably more important than where the ice is. Let's see what happens if they can chain together some winning seasons.

What really bothers me most about this deal is that Jobing was maybe the only place in the city you could go for a concert or a show and not be gouged for "event parking". That is now gone.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-18-2010 at 01:58 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 02:30 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
$275 a piece my buddy shelled out last night for the Hawks-wings game. Granted it was right on the glass, but still a december game, god knows what it would be if they actually met in the playoffs.

What I would give to be able to pay $7 a piece for a hockey game like you guys do over there in Phoenix.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM

yeah - $7 will get you on the glass

also, as an FYI there was a long string of years where the coyotes out drew the original six blackhawks and all their tradition and larger metro size, convenient arena, etc

i'm also still waiting for a single person to come up with any real data on "where the true hockey fans are located" instead of just saying something and then have people hope it's true ...... then reconcile why glendale has better attendance than downtown despite coming off a work stopage and a serious decline in the quality of the team

Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
People keep bringing up the transplants. There is absolutely no connection. If Glendale didn't subsidize the Coyotes and found spare change in their pockets, they wouldn't be sending the money to the state to help pay for transplants.
There is somewhat of a connection because serious spending cuts are happening all over this state, but Glendale decides to spend millions on trying to save their NHL franchise.

When people are suffering or dying would you rather have money go to them, or to an elite group of fatcats who can keep a losing hockey team in Glendale?

Priorities people, priorities!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 PM

there is no connection

zero

please, pick up at least a basic fundamental understanding of the situation before commenting

Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
there is no connection

zero

please, pick up at least a basic fundamental understanding of the situation before commenting
I understand the situation perfectly.

It's all right to spend hundreds of millions to keep the NHL franchise that most people don't care about.

At the same time it's all right to cut services to everybody else because they don't matter, but sports always matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area