Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 10,422 times

Advertisements

I love most of Arizona, just don't care much for Phoenix. My wife has been accepted at a small university in Mesa, but still has a chance to get into one in Oakland instead, where I'd probably rather go. Unfortunately, we'd forfeit a large registration fee/down payment if we ended up choosing Oakland. So, I need everyone here to convince me Phoenix is great! We're from Colorado where I've lived all my life, and I'm scared to death of the heat. I can handle some heat, and generally like the desert, but - 105 degree AVERAGE temp in July? Are you kidding me? I'm very big into outdoor activities, hiking/backpacking/hunting/fishing, and I just can't see that being much of an option during the summer. And it has to be fairly close in, as we have two small kids, and with her in school, my time away is going to be limited/short.

So, if we do end up there - I don't like suburbs/urban environments, and therefore thinking about looking in Apache Junction for a house as a compromise between a reasonable commute for her and a place where I won't go completely crazy. I've heard reasonably good things about Queen Creek and areas near there as well. The closer to the mountains/further from the 'burbs the better for me. So, please - fill me in!

Thanks,

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 03:48 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,287 times
If you don't like the extreme heat then don't bother, move somewhere where you'll be happy.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:16 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,815 times
I don't know about now but Oakland used to be a very dangerous place to live.
I grew up just some 30 miles or less from there and left CA in '93.
There is no way I would live in that area.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:09 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,348 times
We also compared N Cal area to Phoenix. Ended up in Phoenix and I am glad.The weather is more mild there, we made it through summer but if you "hate" heat that will be hard. My concern is also that you don't like urban- Oakland is pretty gritty and urban and crowded is it not? You will definitely live better here and could live nicely in Apache Junction and see mountains and enjoy the Sonoran desert natural beauty. I agree the natural beauty of N Cal is awesome, but you won't be living amidst it. You will be dealing with hoards of people. Plus earthquakes.
Oh and I see that you have kids! Check out Queen Creek and East Mesa w/ Gilbert schools as well as well. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-10-2010, 05:55 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
I say Arizona, but if the heat is going to bother you that much, maybe it's better to put up with the higher crime and higher cost of living of Oakland...

...then again, maybe not....

Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
If you pick AZ,you need to accept the fact that May thru October are inside the house months here. Or, inside the mall, or inside the movies, etc etc. If you get up at 5 am, you can be outside until 9 am. But for the most part, you will have to limit the time outside when the big heat comes, even if you have a pool in your yard. So, that said, the other 6 months are relatively pleasant and you can do anything you want to outside, all day long. I don't know anything about CA so can't comment on that at all. We are in the good stuff now ~ may it last all the way to Memorial Day. LOL

Old 12-11-2010, 04:05 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,348 times
I think the argument for going to N Cal is if that's where the OP's family really really wants to end up, and they think that post grad, 2 incomes they will be able to afford a better life than in Oakland.
I have been told that its pretty hard to get a good job in that area unless you are from the region. They could "do time" in Oakland and then relocate somewhere nicer like Davis in the future. But even with the weather being less temperate, I think Phoenix area is a better place to make a life than Oakland.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:03 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,326 times
There is no where more opposite of what you say you like than Phoenix. It is like me saying how much I hate cold but am considering moving to Alaska. Wouldn't make much sense, would it? There are a gillion colleges around the country. I find it hard to believe that Oakland and Mesa would be your only choices for your wife's education. On the other hand, I suppose you could stand anywhere for a couple years. Couldn't be worse than John McCain living at the Hanoi Hilton for a few years.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:37 PM

6 posts, read 10,319 times
Quote:
We're from Colorado where I've lived all my life, and I'm scared to death of the heat.
I'd be scared to death of Oakland!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:29 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladdin View Post
I'd be scared to death of Oakland!
Why would anybody be "scared to death" of the eighth largest city in California? It has good and bad neighborhoods like any metro area. Great music scene, tons of culture, three major sports teams, enviable downtown redevelopment, ferry service to San Francisco, and the BART system. Compare that to Tucson (542,000), a city that with a slightly LARGER population than Oakland (447,000).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area