Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
What does it matter if you are black or not? Are you racist?

Why even mention race if you are trying to stop racism?
My thoughts exactly. Would if someone said "only answer if you are white."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 10,718 times
dont take it personally u cant tell me about u experiencing racism if u're white i also asked for replys to be single...jeeshhh...why does it bother u..i heard others perspective..white included..i wanted to hear wat black people thought...thats it....SO SORRY IF U FELT OFFENDED BY MY SMALL SIMPLE REQUEST,,,P.S. IF I SAW WHITE ONLY I WOULD KEEP IT MOVING BECAUSE IT DIDN'T CALL FOR MY BLACK PERSPECTIVE!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlly2atl View Post
dont take it personally u cant tell me about u experiencing racism if u're white i also asked for replys to be single...jeeshhh...why does it bother u..i heard others perspective..white included..i wanted to hear wat black people thought...thats it....SO SORRY IF U FELT OFFENDED BY MY SMALL SIMPLE REQUEST,,,P.S. IF I SAW WHITE ONLY I WOULD KEEP IT MOVING BECAUSE IT DIDN'T CALL FOR MY BLACK PERSPECTIVE!
In a forum as large as City-Data, your posts are going to be read by a wide cross section of society. I understand you asked for input from single AAs, but you shouldn't be surprised or angry when other people chime in with their opinions. If their opinions are irrelevant to you, simply disregard them and move on.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Are there any other AA tranplants to Phoenix that are quite happy with their life in Phoenix...Are you happy you made the move....do you anticipate staying?

Old 12-14-2010, 02:45 PM

523 posts, read 937,489 times
This is the type of problems which we have, given our deep South heritage and history. I can understand where many of the negative assessments come from.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
This is the type of problems which we have, given our deep South heritage and history. I can understand where many of the negative assessments come from.
Your statement is off topic and factually incorrect. Please, specify, in detail, rather than in broad, sweeping generalizations, how the state of Arizona has "deep Southern heritage and history." We are the desert southwest, not the deep south. Our heritage is rich in Spanish, Mexican, and most especially Native American cultures. Aside from a period of about one year when the area near Tucson joined the Confederacy, Arizona was not even involved in the Civil War.

Unless you can explain how your statement relates to the topic of "African American/single female-should I move to Phoenix?," your statement is irrelevant to this thread.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM

295 posts, read 552,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Are there any other AA tranplants to Phoenix that are quite happy with their life in Phoenix...Are you happy you made the move....do you anticipate staying?
I haven't heard a lot of positive things to be honest. I know of two AA acquaintenances that I made, who eventually ended up leaving because they wanted to be closer to family. I have the feeling though that it was more than that, and they didn't want to say.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
I know of two AA acquaintenances that I made, who eventually ended up leaving because they wanted to be closer to family. I have the feeling though that it was more than that, and they didn't want to say.
Well, I'm convinced.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:13 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
If it makes any difference, I talked to my African-American neighbor, and asked his thoughts about this. He's lived in the area for over 15 years and in his house for 10 years. He said he would not want to live anywhere else. He is recently retired USAF, so staying put was a real challenge for him (the USAF wanted him to move many times). But he is glad that he moved to the area and was able to raise his children here.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
I am an AA male and my wife is AA. The poster wants to know from a person of her race how it is living in Phoenix. That is a very viable request as many aspects of a communitiy's lifestyle affect how comfortable a person of color feels in living ina metro area.

I was born and raised in Phoenix and my wife in Memphis. Phoenix has always had an established black community. Around 200,000 blacks live here. There are probably 15 black beauty supply stores, several dozen balck beauty and barber shops, 2 black papers, night clubs, at least 8-12 soul food restaurants, and all the major black concerts come to town (although not always on weekend nights).

The black population is scattered throughout the area and after the 80's the southside and areas near downtown became diluted racially where they were heavily black and hispanic in the pre 80's eras.

I have lived in The San Francisco Bay Area as well as Houston, and travelled to over 40 states for long term work in my sales business. My wife prefers the integration in Phoenix to the segregation of the south. being close to LA, many of the trends spill over, although the politics here is right wing, much due to many people who have moved here from the rural Midwest, snowbirds, and Mormons who represent at least 10% of the population. Politically Maricopa County is run by "good ole boys", who have commited a lot of scandals to keep control in Republican hands as AZ was due to be the next state to be majority minority. Eventually these people will be booted out, as their scandals are in the limelight more than ever.

As you know in the South, the races don't mix much. Out here many blacks date outside their race, and have non black friends, although it is not the norm. We mostly live in integrated areas, but with a hispanic population of about 33%, many blacks live in areas which are largely hispanic. LA is like that too.

Racially you'll be fine here. Socially you'll be fine. There is enough of a black population to where you won't be lacking anything. Jobwise should be your biggest concern. I would recommend coming here for a few weeks to a month, getting an extended stay apartment for about $225 a week, and seeing for yourself how things are. If you can find suitable work, your social life should fall in place. the recession hurt the economy here. The progressive communities are in Central Phoenix, and Tempe and SE Phoenix are also good spots for a person of color as these areas are fairly diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area