Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 PM

174 posts, read 239,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atown2Htown View Post
I'm a 34yo AA female who is going to move to Phoenix in August. Thanks for all the great advice and links you all have posted. After living in Atl most of my life I am ready for a change. 7 years ago a small AA population seemed frightening. Now it seems like just what I need.

I am definitely curious about the dating scene for AA women. My preference has always been for AA men but now I feel that love is love and if we're happy, that is all that matters. Atl has so much competition that AA women tend to be fly where ever we go. I visited some Phx cousins a couple of years ago and they made mention of my wardrobe. Not in a bad way but in a "we are only going to the grocery store" way. Just wondering how all that will play in AZ. In addition, I'm 5ft 11in and I was wondering is AZ full of shorter men like Atl? Seems to me the average height here is about 5ft 9in. Not great for a woman like me who loves heels. Also do men there approach women? I find that men here don't often come up to me (even after smiles and eye contact). So the question is are men there short and shy, lol?

Lastly, any natural hair care places there? I have locs.
Yep, men average is probably about 5'9" bout the same-national average. I have a lot of tall male friends but if you include the entire population 5'9" avg is about right. My black male friends typically date White/Hispanic woman but I never hear them dis AA women. If your looking for dating material I would think you would want to open it up to White and Hispanic men to increase your odds unless thats not your preference.

Biggest down side is you moving here in August...It's hottt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:29 PM

678 posts, read 1,059,160 times
I'm African-American and was living in Phoenix (I still have a house there) for 10 years. I was single for most of the time I was there and you won't have a problem. Yes there are some people who are crazy and yes there are racists but that's everywhere you go. You will definitely experience culture shock coming from Alabama and you'll need to adjust to the "west coast" attitude. When I say that I don't I'm not being mean or condescending, I just mean that there isn't much of a sense of community (at least compared to what you'd probably experience in Alabama). Everyone is very much concerned about themselves but they're not terrible mean about doing so.

If you do move to Arizona, make sure that you rent first to get a feel of whether or not you'd like it, but if you plan on staying for a bit, I would whole heartily recommend buying a duplex so you can rent the other side out and help with bills. You can get real estate really cheap and you might as well get something that you can make money off of.

Anyhow, a few years before I left I got married. My wife is Ukrainian and we've never experienced any problems there. I'm not sure how much you'll find in the way of ethnically diverse neighborhoods only because I've only lived in a few places while there but I'm sure there are plenty.

Being young and single, I would say go for it, I had the time of my life in Phoenix but now that I'm married I wanted to live in a place with more of a sense of community.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:38 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,207,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
I just mean that there isn't much of a sense of community (at least compared to what you'd probably experience in Alabama)
By sense of community, you mean people asking what church you go to and what your nationality is and if you are married and have kids. No thanks, I don't call that community but bored people who are too nosy for their own good. I love the West Coast attitude of "Common Sense" ie "I'm friendly but I don't need to knock on doors offering pies"

Old 06-17-2011, 01:36 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,656,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlly2atl View Post
I prefer to live in a mixed neighborhood but I still want access to good hair salons, clubs, eateries etc, that cater to the AA community, although I like and eat different cuisines (sushi and mexican is among my favorites). There is a 20 to 1 ratio in Atlanta, so I can imagine things being any worst in the dating field as far as black men go (I am open to dating outside my race). I guess my question is would u suggest Phoenix or should it be removed from my list altogether. (Is the racism really that bad?) #confused
I'm sure your questions have been answered but if any city in California is on your list I would remove it. California is surprisingly racist, on the extreme scale. I am mixed, my family is mixed all the way to my grandparents. My family does not look like what they should be and shouldn't be in the American categories of "races." I was discriminated against until we left that place and for some reason I tried it again back in early 00', that was a mistake.

My friend was born in Oklahoma, raised in Calfornia, he is AA. He thinks California and Atlanta are really the only two states in this country open to AA as far as him feeling safe. Ironically the state made an example of him and made him another statistic...

His choice would never be Arizona. But after moving to Arizona, I think California is MORE dangerous towards the AA community then Arizona. See example above. The jobs I have had here in Arizona there is always a mix of people. It isn't just white or just asian. It's everybody. When people around the state say its class divided, its absolutly true.

My only complaint is employers get away with a lot out here, even unlawful things. But what can you do? You give and take with any state you live in

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
By sense of community, you mean people asking what church you go to and what your nationality is and if you are married and have kids. No thanks, I don't call that community but bored people who are too nosy for their own good. I love the West Coast attitude of "Common Sense" ie "I'm friendly but I don't need to knock on doors offering pies"
lmfao. I had to rate this post postively. Nothing is more true.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM

286 posts, read 674,800 times
Smile Make America better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Any other opinions regarding AA moving to AZ..Would love to hear some fresh perspectives.
I know it is an old thread,but I was asked to liven things up,when I had the time.
I say that if a person misses Australia so much that they want to turn the USA into Aussieland and dislke it here,then go home.
If a black man is denigrating the USA and wants to turn it into Africa..then beautiful Africa already exists.I have visited there,in its entirety....then move there.
The same goes for a Mexican man.Raather than turn this USA into Mexico...would it not be easier to go there?Better weather,Spanish speaking..sunshine..it is due South and breataking.Go there to get the real thing.
Finally,I am a proud White{Caucasian}man and I love the USA.Family here for four generations.I have
Irish Catholic ancestors and I have been back often to witness the beauty,the castles,the shockingly attractive ladies{so beautiful}.However.
I am an American,where English is spoken{England held my people in slavery for 1,000years}England still will not leave Ireland.But guess what? I love the USA.Simple is it not?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,674,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
I know it is an old thread,but I was asked to liven things up,when I had the time.
I say that if a person misses Australia so much that they want to turn the USA into Aussieland and dislke it here,then go home.
If a black man is denigrating the USA and wants to turn it into Africa..then beautiful Africa already exists.I have visited there,in its entirety....then move there.
The same goes for a Mexican man.Raather than turn this USA into Mexico...would it not be easier to go there?Better weather,Spanish speaking..sunshine..it is due South and breataking.Go there to get the real thing.
Finally,I am a proud White{Caucasian}man and I love the USA.Family here for four generations.I have
Irish Catholic ancestors and I have been back often to witness the beauty,the castles,the shockingly attractive ladies{so beautiful}.However.
I am an American,where English is spoken{England held my people in slavery for 1,000years}England still will not leave Ireland.But guess what? I love the USA.Simple is it not?
C'mon man, really? I noticed you mentioned nothing about American Indians (I use that term because that's how they refer to themselves on the reservations!) who may have something to say about English being the original language! Just saying!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,104,600 times
Goolsbyjazz-I read his post a couple of times. I wondered why it was posted, it seemed totally off topic from the original post and the last message before his was from one and a half years ago. I have no idea why he posted it and why he posted it here...

Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,667,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlly2atl View Post
****Only answer if you are AA and have spent time in Phoenix being single****I have a friend who is married and lives in Surprise, Az, he likes and recommends Az but admitted it was a culture shock coming from AL. I was really excited about moving to Phoenix until after my BFF suggested I read some of these posts. Frankly, now I am not so sure I want to move there so I need some more opinions. The job market appears to be pretty good I am a recent Grad with experience in my field (counseling/therapy). However I have lived in only 2 cities Philly and Atlanta (both fairly urban). I prefer to live in a mixed neighborhood but I still want access to good hair salons, clubs, eateries etc, that cater to the AA community, although I like and eat different cuisines (sushi and mexican is among my favorites). There is a 20 to 1 ratio in Atlanta, so I can imagine things being any worst in the dating field as far as black men go (I am open to dating outside my race). I guess my question is would u suggest Phoenix or should it be removed from my list altogether. (Is the racism really that bad?) #confused
Not AA but haven't seen too many Blacks in Chandler or Gilbert. In fact I see almost none at all.

Single? Humm...

Well, if you like White or Hispanic guys you should be in luck because you'll likely be the only black woman in the bar, club esp. in the suburbs.

Is this a good thing?

Don't really know but at least you'll stand out in a crowd.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,104,600 times
John, her post is from 2011.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,667,064 times
Well, then I guess she's knows what to expect by now assuming she decided to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area