U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:19 PM

106 posts, read 594,950 times

Advertisements

Thank you 30apples for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 08:15 PM

937 posts, read 2,581,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
We had them dropping out of ceiling vents in our house. It was new, and we aren't from AZ, so we were freaking out! We were told they get built into the walls of new houses, so they'd only drop from the ceiling for a few months, which turned out to be true. My daughter's bed was right under a vent (obviously we moved it, thankfully w/o her being bitten). Also, a neighbor told us to put the legs of our son's crib into glass jars as they can't climb glass. They can otherwise climb a crib leg and a bark scorpion bite can be fatal to an infant.

A rattler made it over our wall once...and it's a fairly high wall. The only thing I can figure is that it somehow climbed through the honeysuckle which is on both sides of the wall. Made me check under the honeysuckle (and cut it way back) from then on!
Word of caution - Scorpions sting, not bite

Old 07-14-2007, 09:24 PM

25,668 posts, read 24,296,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
All scorpions can climb, but some are better than the others. They can pretty much climb any surface other than slick ones (ie glass, plastic, etc). I keep many as pets and observe them in the wild in AZ, MO, etc. The only scorpion in AZ that is a extremely good climber is the one you need to look out for (Centruroides exilicauda). Its venom is considered medically significant, so any sting should be treated with utmost caution.

As for rattlesnakes (Crotalidae), no, they wont climb up houses. They can, however, get into trees, but only a few feet up. Even that is rare for them to do, but theyve been observed in branches, a few feet off the ground, raiding bird nests or other prey. On the ground, when lying in wait, theyll be curled up, making them very hard to see. Their patterning is very cryptic, and most times you wont even see them. When in snake country (all of AZ), its wise to wear snake boots or chaps if out in the brush.

I saw a thing on some history channel or something, awhile back, where some guy was out in the desert somewhere, and almost got bit by one. What saved him was his steel toe work boots, when he took it off, the snake's fang was still embedded into the toe portion of that boot!
We've worked in some pretty remote areas (Gila Bend, Mobile, way east Maricopa, and even parts of Eloy, where you dont want to 'not' be watching where you step, on or off the jobsite.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:28 PM

181 posts, read 1,004,831 times
Scorpions, cats, 'shrimpers' - all have unusual characteristics (broken link)

People have been telling me that if you plant lavender it will keep scorpions away. Is this just a myth or does it really work?

Apparently it is true. Scorpions, I am told, really hate lavender. And I am told they also hate citrus and that if you leave some dried orange or lemon around it will keep the scorpions away.

Why this is true, I don't know. I didn't even know scorpions had a sense of smell, but they do and I guess it's pretty good.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 PM

3,884 posts, read 8,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ91 View Post
Scorpions, cats, 'shrimpers' - all have unusual characteristics (broken link)

People have been telling me that if you plant lavender it will keep scorpions away. Is this just a myth or does it really work?

Apparently it is true. Scorpions, I am told, really hate lavender. And I am told they also hate citrus and that if you leave some dried orange or lemon around it will keep the scorpions away.

Why this is true, I don't know. I didn't even know scorpions had a sense of smell, but they do and I guess it's pretty good.
Thats odd because there are hundreds of them out in the citrus groves in Mesa.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:21 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Thats odd because there are hundreds of them out in the citrus groves in Mesa.
Its just another wives tale. Scorpions thrive anywhere they see fit, so youre correct.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_A_Woman View Post
I saw a thing on some history channel or something, awhile back, where some guy was out in the desert somewhere, and almost got bit by one. What saved him was his steel toe work boots, when he took it off, the snake's fang was still embedded into the toe portion of that boot!
We've worked in some pretty remote areas (Gila Bend, Mobile, way east Maricopa, and even parts of Eloy, where you dont want to 'not' be watching where you step, on or off the jobsite.
Id believe it. Ive seen rattler teeth imbedded in snake chaps before, as well as snake boots. Crotalidae teeth (rattlers) are hollow, and easily breakable. And yes, when youre off the beaten path, always watch where you step.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 18,974 times
I just moved into a home in Arizona that was never lived in, but was 3 years old from a home flip seller that couldnt flip it due to market crash. Watching tv, a baby bark scorpion landed on my head, and only explanation is the AC vent directly above. So, the previous comment that in new houses they will only fall from the ceilngs the first few months since they were built in the walls, might not be entirely accurate. I put the scorpion in an aquarium and have watched it since. It is a baby, but cockroaches walk all over it and it rarely rares back the stinger. Seems like you have to do a lot to get stung, like put your foot in a shoe without checking first. It is a bit alarming they can climb walls and potentially land on you.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 AM

2,325 posts, read 6,103,277 times
Native Arizona scorpions are solitary and if you lift a blanket or piece of wood you will see them. Bark scorpions are something else; they like living in clusters and have the nasty habit of clinging to surfaces upside down, so if you pick up something you don't see them until it is too late.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Native Arizona scorpions are solitary and if you lift a blanket or piece of wood you will see them. Bark scorpions are something else; they like living in clusters and have the nasty habit of clinging to surfaces upside down, so if you pick up something you don't see them until it is too late.
Bark scorpions (Centruroides exilicauda) are native Arizona scorpions. And yes, youre correct, they are communal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or