U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:38 AM

21 posts, read 99,503 times
Default can scorpions climb?

Are scorpions only ground dwellers or can they climb up things, also can rattlesnakes "climb" up things like trees, houses etc like some other snakes or are they always on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 09:44 AM

18,533 posts, read 48,389,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid3416 View Post
Are scorpions only ground dwellers or can they climb up things, also can rattlesnakes "climb" up things like trees, houses etc like some other snakes or are they always on the ground.
All scorpions can climb, but some are better than the others. They can pretty much climb any surface other than slick ones (ie glass, plastic, etc). I keep many as pets and observe them in the wild in AZ, MO, etc. The only scorpion in AZ that is a extremely good climber is the one you need to look out for (Centruroides exilicauda). Its venom is considered medically significant, so any sting should be treated with utmost caution.

As for rattlesnakes (Crotalidae), no, they wont climb up houses. They can, however, get into trees, but only a few feet up. Even that is rare for them to do, but theyve been observed in branches, a few feet off the ground, raiding bird nests or other prey. On the ground, when lying in wait, theyll be curled up, making them very hard to see. Their patterning is very cryptic, and most times you wont even see them. When in snake country (all of AZ), its wise to wear snake boots or chaps if out in the brush.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:56 AM

15,858 posts, read 18,609,065 times
I have smacked more than a few I found walking on the walls and even the ceiling. It takes a skillful touch, learned after many years of desert dwelling, to smack the scorpion without mashing it all over the wall paint.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:00 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,990,694 times
They see them on the ceiling of my kids classroom at school, especially after a rain (not that often). The teachers have tricks but for the most part they end up in the light fixture. They hunt so you have to figure. The worst is when there over your bed on the ceiling. My friend lives in Awatukee and has Scorpions. She'll be laying in bed and they will try and make it across the ceiling but have failed, falling into her bed! Yikes!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 10,539,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
They see them on the ceiling of my kids classroom at school, especially after a rain (not that often). The teachers have tricks but for the most part they end up in the light fixture. They hunt so you have to figure. The worst is when there over your bed on the ceiling. My friend lives in Awatukee and has Scorpions. She'll be laying in bed and they will try and make it across the ceiling but have failed, falling into her bed! Yikes!
Thanks for the image.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:53 PM

21 posts, read 99,503 times
I definately need to find my happy place after that one...Yikes!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:58 PM

548 posts, read 1,757,354 times
We had them dropping out of ceiling vents in our house. It was new, and we aren't from AZ, so we were freaking out! We were told they get built into the walls of new houses, so they'd only drop from the ceiling for a few months, which turned out to be true. My daughter's bed was right under a vent (obviously we moved it, thankfully w/o her being bitten). Also, a neighbor told us to put the legs of our son's crib into glass jars as they can't climb glass. They can otherwise climb a crib leg and a bark scorpion bite can be fatal to an infant.

A rattler made it over our wall once...and it's a fairly high wall. The only thing I can figure is that it somehow climbed through the honeysuckle which is on both sides of the wall. Made me check under the honeysuckle (and cut it way back) from then on!

Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,990,694 times
We found a rattler under the sink of a home we were looking to buy one time. I guess they like the moisture. This was in Queen Creek though, in town you don't run into the snakes much, just scorpions and little creepy things.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:44 AM

106 posts, read 400,900 times
Does anyone know about a snake fence or how its made or more important do they work.we are moving from the northeast to Hereford thats near sierra vista,az some one told me there are snakes.thanks for any help.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:16 PM

178 posts, read 523,292 times
I can't imagine what a snake fence would be, except maybe one made out of smooth steel or glass! here are some things to do to limit exposure to snakes around your house. don't have piles of things around- they could attract rodents, which the snakes hunt. No sense providing the food source. Also, pots laying on edge, or any similar thing,which could provide shade for a snake isn't a good idea.
if you have piles of building materials or firewood, keep it well away from your house or other buildings. When taking things from those piles , poke around first w/ a pole, to see if there is a snake about. Carry a walking stick while on your property to poke things you're not sure of, or that you can't see inside or underneath, rather than using your hands or feet. That is most important. NEVER put your hands or feet in places you haven't "eye-balled" for safety.

Also, when walking w/ the stick, it vibrates the ground as the stick hits the ground w/ every step you take. Snakes can't hear but can feel the vibration and will go away or hide, so you will generally, not come in contact with them. Keep in mind that you are more likely to see harmless snakes rather than rattlers. those are the good snakes, which will help to keep the rodent population down and therefore such diseases as hanta virus and the plague. The rattlers help with this task as well.
If you have scorpions in the house, check your sheets and under your pillow before getting into bed, they are sometimes found there. Keep meat tenderizer in the house and if bitten, make a small amount of paste w/ a little water, to put on the sting. the poison is broken down (it's a protein) by the meat tenderizer. No more hurt in about 5 minutes. Works well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area