Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,385 times

Advertisements

We moved from Bay Area to Austin, couple years back. However we don't like it here in Austin, primarily due to bad weather and near zero outdoor activities. I have some questions :

1) How is the weather in Phoenix. I know it is quite hot with couple months of 100+. But here in Austin, it is also 100+ couple months, but it is humid heat which according to me is bad compared to Phoenix's dry heat.

2) What are outdoor activities in/around Phoenix. I know Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, San Diego, Los Angeles are all within 4-5hrs driving radius which makes Phoenix's location quite ideal. Tons of places to visit within driving distance. Whereas in Austin, you have nothing less than 10-12hr driving distance.

3) How are the public schools in Phoenix? I think if someone who moved from Austin would be able to compare the best. But any feedback is appreciated. I heard in general, Austin public schools are better than Phoenix's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
There are lots of outdoor activities in and around Phoenix. Hiking trails, biking and jogging trails, tennis, swimming, anything you want.

There's more than two months of 100 plus, but you are right, it's much drier than Austin.

As far as the schools, I don't know how many districts Austin has. Metro Phoenix has dozens, the quality varies.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Phoenix is a vast metropolitan area with suburbs on the west side of Phoenix and suburbs on the east side. From Queen Creek (San Tan) on the south east valley to Surprise in the north east valley is about a 2 hour drive with no traffic.

Where you reside may be determined by where your job is located. I live in Gilbert in the east valley, and it's known as a safe city with good schools. Gilbert, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What you can do is look for the demographics of Phoenix proper and each surrounding city that may be near your work. That will help you a lot.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin2phoenix View Post
1) How is the weather in Phoenix. I know it is quite hot with couple months of 100+.
May, June, July, August, September, and October all usually have 100+ degree days.

That said, a 100 degree day in May with no humidity is actually quite comfortable, in my opinion far nicer outside in the shade than on a 85 degree day in Tampa. To me it is only bad for three months, approx mid-June to mid-September. That is when I'm sweating walking my dog at 7:00 am.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:12 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,525 times
Ive lived in both cities back to back, each for 3yrs.

The weather from Atx to Phx is very different than just humidity. Very sunny day in and day out. Maybe on average 10-20 days of rain/mostly cloudy days for the whole year. Other than that, its an all sunny atmosphere. Days get in the 100+ maybe on a good year, in June. But can happen early as May, and will stay in the 90s till mid September or October. When you get the stretch of 110+ days, your nights will be hot as well. My first summer there it was 102 at midnight when I looked!! In this dry climate be sure to keep 3 things handy: Water, sun glasses, hats.

As far as outside activities I would say they are pretty close. Or really I would give a slight nod to Phoenix. You have several mountain state parks within the metro you can hike, or bike. Be sure to take a cell, and PLENTY OF WATER if done in the summertime. It snows only bout 2hrs up the road in the winter months. There are some water recreational places around to cool of. Unfortunately I didn't visit Slide Rock. But did goto the Salt River, but it was a hot mess. There are various lakes around, like Lake Havasu,Lake Pleasant and Theodore Roosevelt Lake. Another benefit of the metro is that almost every major city(Glendale-Phx-Peoria-Scottsdale-Chandler-Mesa)seems to have their on things at various times of the year. From Glendale's Chocolate Festival to Phoenix's First Fridays/Charity (walks-runs)/State Fair ect. and Peoria/Mesa's Baseball Spring training games, something will be poppin for ya.

All I have to say bout the school system in Phoenix is____________!!!
With that said, Peoria/Scottsdale and Chandler, from what Ive seen and read have the best school districts in the Valley. So do your homework if you have kids in K-12. If you have children, get them a cell too.

All in all Phoenix is Austin, with more people. MHO Good Luck.

Last edited by FastFerrari; 12-27-2010 at 11:21 AM..

Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Ive lived in both cities back to back, each for 3yrs.

All I have to say bout the school system is Phoenix is____________
With that said, Peoria/Scottsdale and Chandler, from what Ive seen and read have the best school districts in the Valley. So do your homework if you have kids in K-12. If you have children, get them a cell too.

All in all Phoenix is Austin, with more people. MHO Good Luck.
Tempe should not be left off that list.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Tempe should not be left off that list.
Your certainly right!!! Thanks for the back up!!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM

418 posts, read 1,311,763 times
Phoenix sure beats anything Texas has to offer. Dry heat over humidity is really enough. But once you have lived in the Golden State, nothing compares. California is heaven on earth as long as you figure a way to afford it. I have lived for many years in Phoenix's East Valley and now in Austin area. And I can't wait to get back to San Diego, where I lived 30 yrs ago. I have tried to be happy elsewhere. And even though I have had much more in those other places, I have never been that happy there. I just miss the California weather and the ocean. Now that I am older and free, I don't care about having things. Just want to live a simple life where the weather is perfect and the air is cleaned by the cool ocean breezes. Another thing I miss is the healthier lifestyle, especially better food in grocery stores and in restaurants. I have never been as healthy or as happy as living in California. Part of it is being cooped up inside so many many hours of the day and months of the year due to the heat. I am sorry I ever left California. But that is me.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:45 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Regarding the education system in Arizona, it depends on who you ask. If you are someone who makes less than 40K a year and can't afford to live in of the better suburbs then to you, the educational system is terrible. There are plenty of respondents on this forum in this situation and claim we have terrible schools. If your household income exceeds that and you can live in one of the nicer neighborhoods in Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix etc, you will love the schools here. In addition, we have charter schools, some of which are practically private schools because their agenda is very prep-school like.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Phoenix is also not Austin, politics-wise. I don't know how you roll and don't need to ... just be on notice that Arizona is controlled by the ultra-conservative. If you're OK with that, fine. Otherwise, consider how it might have an impact on your life. This is a pitifully poor state -- by choice.

Also, in case you didn't get the message from others, it's not a "couple months of 100+" weather. It's half the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area