Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times

Advertisements

My two favorites are Europa Pastry Cafe, a Polish-influenced bakery with a great deal of variety of awesome European influenced sweets, as well as Le Napoleon which is a newer bakery but one run by a chef that has been doing pastries and chocolates for almost 4 decades and it absolutely shows in the quality of the pastries and chocolates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 03:32 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Barb's Bakery on 24th St has been great for a long time, wonderful Danish. For one of the most delicious cakes ever, try the Asahi Bakery on 16th St. White cake, fresh fruit, whipped cream. Need I say more??

Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
When I was new in Arizona, someone sent me to Le Grande Orange Grocery in the Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix (4410 North 40th St. 85018). You see a lot of multi-purpose places like this back east, but I've yet to see another one in AZ. Kind of a restaurant, kind of a grocery (specialty items, imports, etc.), kind of a bakery, kind of a gift store ... now Le Grande Orange is kind of a pizzeria, too. When I go there I eat in, then take baked goods home and they are all fabulous -- everything from cookies to muffins to fancy cakes (and usually a bag of other things I think I can't live without ... say English whole-grain mustard and a couple of hand-made greeting cards).

Read the reviews and people will carry on about the over-crowdedness, the harried service, the lack of parking, the prices. As a hunter-gatherer of great experience, I say: People, if you want Krogers or Burger King, then go there. You are obviously not cut out for doing what it takes to shop for uniqueness and top-quality. How many "breakfast sandwiches" have salmon on them? How many tuna sandwiches are seasoned with fresh herbs and on served on crusty bakery bread? How many times does your friend order a "chickpea salad" and you are sorry you didn't get it? How many places can you get a wood-fired pizza and follow it up with hand-crafted root beer OR a steaming cup of Ethiopian coffee? I mean, really, if that isn't worth standing in line for a few minutes or having to park a block away, what is?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
The bakery at le grande orange is actually tammie coe cakes and mj bread company. I think they are married and have their own location at 7th street and roosevelt. Tammie coe cakes are top notch.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:35 AM

537 posts, read 1,544,948 times
Observer is right with Barb's Bakeshop. My mom loved that place. I think that the bakery at that location was called Biltmore Bakery when I was a kid. It was closer to the AJ Bayless that was on the corner. What is the story with the Old Heildelberg bakery at 22nd. St. and Indian School? I think I went in once and there were no baked goods in the cases. It always looks closed. It is painted a screaming yellow color.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:40 AM

537 posts, read 1,544,948 times
Did anyone mention Karsh's Bakery at 7th. St. and Missouri? Kosher. The finest baked goods. Karsh's has been around for maybe 50 years.

Home

Old 12-28-2010, 10:08 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
Observer is right with Barb's Bakeshop. My mom loved that place. I think that the bakery at that location was called Biltmore Bakery when I was a kid. It was closer to the AJ Bayless that was on the corner. What is the story with the Old Heildelberg bakery at 22nd. St. and Indian School? I think I went in once and there were no baked goods in the cases. It always looks closed. It is painted a screaming yellow color.
I asked a co-worker about this place a few weeks back. He says it's supposed to be good and they bake for each day. So, if you don't go early you'll likely not have much to choose from. When I drive by there it's typically around 6pm and I've never seen it open.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I asked a co-worker about this place a few weeks back. He says it's supposed to be good and they bake for each day. So, if you don't go early you'll likely not have much to choose from. When I drive by there it's typically around 6pm and I've never seen it open.

That's the story with the majority of "real" bakeries, they bake for the day, sell out whatever they can and close shop early. Definitely going to try Le Grande Orange for sure.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Oh yeah, technically this isn't a bakery but Lamar's Donuts just east of Bell and the I-17 is absolutely ridiculous too. Knocks the pants off of Dunkin Donuts and most other donut shops. Very delicious treats, a wide variety, all prepared daily.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Oh yeah, technically this isn't a bakery but Lamar's Donuts just east of Bell and the I-17 is absolutely ridiculous too. Knocks the pants off of Dunkin Donuts and most other donut shops. Very delicious treats, a wide variety, all prepared daily.
SOOO glad you brought that up. THE BEST donuts in town. More expensive, and if you aren't in the neighborhood it's a drive, but they are worth it once in a while, believe me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area