U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is most important factor in house buying for you?
Upscale/Luxurious Location 11 39.29%
Size/Quality of Home 8 28.57%
Shopping/Entertainment around the area 4 14.29%
Others 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2010, 06:13 PM

18 posts, read 23,420 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, when you bought or were considering a home, what was more important to you? The location of the house or the size and quality? For example, if you had $350,000 to spend would you rather have a 3,000 sq. foot home in Arrowhead area with all the upgrades, or a 1,600 sq. foot home in a gated area in North Scottsdale with no upgrades?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 PM

3,365 posts, read 6,310,247 times
Personally location is more important to me. As they say, you can always change the house but you can't change the location. I would rather have a smaller house in a more central, convenient area vs a bigger house out of the way.

My wife is the exact opposite. She feels since you spend the majority of the time in the house, then the size and look of the house are a lot more important than how long it takes to get to it.

I see her point but I hate long commutes and I have being far from activities/restaurants. As it is, living near 67th Ave and Happy Valley Rd, it's about 27 minutes to downtown Phoenix, about 30 minutes to North Scottsdale and about 45 minutes to Old Town each way. This is as far out as I ever want to live. She wants to move to Vistancia when we buy our next house and it's not going to happen.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:36 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,182,280 times
I guess I will be the first person on this thread to say it..........Location, location, location. Not only that, but having the cheapest house in an expensive neighborhood has proven to pay out, also.
Location of employment is another huge factor. If I worked at Arrowhead; I would buy there, without hesitation.

Last edited by khuntrevor; 12-30-2010 at 06:45 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 07:45 PM

17,590 posts, read 20,907,992 times
For me, being away from the congestion is the most important. I look for areas with fewer people, fewer traffic lights. That pretty much means the developing suburban areas. I also like the cleanliness and state of the art feel of the newest areas. In addition, I find I prefer the master planned community approach. So it comes down to a MPC on the outskirts - just where I am.

As far as quality goes, I think you are deluding yourself if you think there is a big difference in the various subdivisions. Years ago builders had their own construction crews and maybe that mattered. Today, it is all subbed out to the lowest bidder and, within a particular genre (years) of homes, there is little discernible difference in construction techniques or basic quality.

If you mean upgrades and bells and whistles as quality then I would say it is LOCATION. A fancy house in a crappy area is not as good a deal as a plain house in a nice area.

Maybe the best deals are in areas that are new and a little out there and therefore lower priced, but still areas that are going to be hot in the coming years. Ahwahtukee, Chandler and Gilbert were all like this once. Today I think Goodyear, and Queen Creek are in that category.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-30-2010 at 07:58 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 08:11 PM

106 posts, read 153,164 times
I myself say it is a combination. I don't mind living 30-45 minutes out, but not much farther than that. However, I don't need to be in the middle of everything. I love to have a nice home. As long as that suburb has a grocery store, fitness club, parks, and some restaraunts, we are good!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 PM

277 posts, read 793,514 times
I'd compromise a bit, but overall I'd take 1. location, 2. lot, 3. house.

For example, I wouldn't take either the 1600 sq ft Scottsdale house or the 3000 sq ft Arrowhead house, but would find the best compromise of a great location with the best house I could get in that area. Maybe a 2300 sq ft house a few miles north of Scottsdale if Scottsdale was my ideal.

In my case, I wanted to be in Chandler, south of the 202. I could have paid more in Ocotillo which originally was my ideal location, but chose a slightly less expensive location a mile away. Then I went for lot - wanted a greenbelt or lake view and was willing to settle for a smaller house to get that. Then I picked a reasonably priced not-too-old house from a decent builder (a foreclosure needing a minimum of work) and that's what I bought.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:40 PM

9,182 posts, read 10,050,656 times
For me, I would rather live in an area that has proximity to ammenities like great shopping, schools, restaurants, easy access to the freeways and safety.

Many of the so-called upscale communities are so elite that they fail to offer some of these aspects. For example, many North Scottsdale neighborhoods are essentially in the boonies. They are located in some primal stretch of desert with a gate surrounding them. It's priced high because it has a "North Scottsdale" name attached but they aren't close to shopping, their public schools aren't necessarily better than ones in other areas and they have poor access to roads and freeways.

I chose Chandler over Scottsdale because I didn't want to be in some overpriced stretch of land that resembles something in the Road Warrior. I wanted to be next to boutiques, restaurants, great public schools, nice gyms, freeway access etc. Now the Scottsdale neighborhoods will always have a better reputation than my neighborhood but I don't care; you can live out near Dynamite and Scottsdale road with your view of the mountains and have the rattle snakes and coyotes in your front yard and I'll live near the Mercedes Benz dealership, the Banana Republic and Whole Foods with boring paved streets.

I would probably choose places like San Tan in Gilbert, Arrowhead, Tempe and South Scottsdale over some of these prestigious areas in the middle of nowhere like North Scottsdale and Fountain Hills.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:34 AM

6,066 posts, read 8,470,309 times
Location is prime for us. We wanted a community that was in a relatively safe area with people of all ages. It needed to have nearby local shopping and dining, as well as medical facilities within a reasonable distance.

For entertainment such as clubs to go hear jazz, or theaters, zoos, hiking etc., they are all within a 20-45 minute drive.

A prestigious zip code address is not at all important to us. North Scottsdale, as azriverfan stated, is too remote. The drive for shopping, dining and medical facilities is too far, and the cost of real estate is too high compared to the Chandler and Gilbert areas.

The other two considerations are Condition and Price.

Included with Location, a view was important to us. In the Bay Area we had a one acre lot with a view of Mt. Diablo that we enjoyed for 30 years.

We chose Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert because it met all of our criteria, including a waterfront lot that has a view that was important to us.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:37 AM

652 posts, read 1,610,807 times
You can never change the location but you can always upgrade your home.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:59 AM

2,943 posts, read 3,736,098 times
It's got to be location. I say this living in Estrella at the far SW corner of Goodyear. I live in a very quiet and safe community with "resort"-style amenities. There is a "community" feel. Tons and tons of outdoor recreation. It's a great place for kids.
It's about being located near or within what is important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area