Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
the biggest problem with people comeing to the valley of the sun is not useing common sense what your police or sheriff dept will put up with there in area where you live is total diff than the what the local sheriff or police in the valley of the sun will put up from outsider ..

just use common sense when down here and you will be fine ..it just that they will not put up with alot of stupid things out of people ..we have enough of the local yahoo's types causeing problems they do not need a bunch of out of towners causeing more problems ..
In the South, people treat law enforcement with much more respect. The idea of not showing identification or addressing law enforcement with respect is unheard of. In fact, I think law enforcement in the South is much more strict to the point that they can be rude and intimidating.

This whole concept of "Have ID on you at All Times" is just a lot of bogus nonsense. I'm Hispanic, I pass through a Border Patrol stop once a week. Never have I been harrassed or asked to step out of my car and checked. I've never been asked for ID either. At the most, they asked if I would pop open my trunk and roll my back window down and that's it. They are not rude or intimidating like you get with Texas cops. They don't wear wide brimmed hats and dark aviator sunglasses. Most of the time they smile and are pretty laid back, it's usually a "Hey how are you, are you a U.S. citizen" Yes, okay, have a nice day. That's the extent of it.

What's also is also interesting is most Border Patrol agents are Hispanic. And what's even more interesting is Illegals would rather be taken in by a White or Black Border Patrol agent than a Hispanic one. They say the Hispanic ones are tougher on them and get treated worse by them than the White and Black Border Patrol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:19 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,518 times
And don't forget statewide ban on smoking in bars and restaurants. That's probably the biggest reason I'd choose Arizona over Nevada. I could actually go out and enjoy some nightlife there.

Thanks for your post. Now I can go back to my happy google-mapping of Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Regarding the gun laws, here is my take on it. When I first moved here, I thought the gun laws were overzealous and very redneck like. I thought these people were crazy with their love of guns. After living here for over 15 years, I realize it's not so much the love of guns that Arizonans covet but the libertarian sense of freedom of having the right to carry a gun. Arizonans are very libertarian not conservative. How many conservative states do you know of that passed a medical marijuana law and had an openly Gay mayor of a large city like Tempe for 10 years (and a rumored Gay governer)? Despite these laws, I've never seen people with gun holsters and brandishing guns openly. I've never felt threatened by these laws. Like I said, my life hasn't changed and it doesn't really impact me.

In short, move here and you will see it's a lot of hype. By hype, I'm not saying this stuff isn't true but it's not like we live in this Conservative Gestapo state that is portrayed on CNN. I've lived in Dallas and it feels much more conservative than Phoenix in terms of it's culture and feel.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 PM

117 posts, read 160,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
California transplants. It all sounds great.
I laugh out loud then stopped reading at this part.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:54 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Swarthout View Post
If this is true how come you and I aren't in one right now? I would love to be hanging out at a country club right about now.

As far as Sheriff Joe is concerned, he would be a much better and resourceful sheriff if he understood that he works for the people of the county and isn't allowed to just do whatever strikes his fancy.

I believe that most people in tent city belong there but it doesn't take much to get pinched by law enforcement in the Phoenix area. Those of you who say things like " if you don't like it, don't come back" you better watch every little thing you do. God forbid you mix the wrong prescription drugs or have a few sips of wine then go out and drive you can find yourself behind bars with three or four charges slapped against you, whether you think you've done something wrong or not. Check out this article about a woman who thought she was ok to drive but got pinched.

It took less than one drink to get Shannon Wilcutt busted for felony DUI - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

As far as gun control, walk through downtown at 11 pm at night and check out some of the street people. I hope to god those people aren't packing.

I have several friends who are CO's and around here the jails are like country clubs. The old jail downtown never had any a/c,internet,tv,barely enough hot water and the heat worked but not climate controlled like the new jails. Sorry but they should be treated and housed like the animals they are.Just the other day a guy was arrested for his 11th DUI! Here a FOURTH offense DUI is supposed to result in jail time of 1 to 5 years and a license suspension of 10 years while the fifth is jail time of 2-5 years and a "permanant" supension of license.Granted there's no way to stop them from driving without a license but this guy still had his.

People who generally worry about LE in ANY city are usually guilty of doing something wrong,Phoenix is no different. There's no reason to "watch every little thing you do" if you're not doing anything wrong.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM

72 posts, read 176,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
Yeah, I was thinking of moving there, I want out of this Florida humidity eventually. Anyway the the tent jails, sheriff and his chain gangs, it wouldn't effect my life. So that's not an issue. I realize Phoenix leans a little conservative, not a problem. I don't get involved in politics. This last election I didn't even register to vote. But back to the guns though. If everyone is packing, then everyone surrounding me has the capability to kill me if they wanted. The soccer mom next to me in the grocery line, dude on a skateboard, you name it. That would take a little getting used to that's all. But hey, maybe they all have guns here too and I just don't know it.
I wouldn't even worry about it. I'd venture to say the majority of people aren't carrying a weapon around here. In fact, it's fairly safe in Phoenix (or at least the areas I frequent). I was a little surprised when I first moved here to see white chicks walking by themselves... at NIGHT. Coming from Oakland, Los Angeles, and Houston that's something you almost never see.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Default Finally, a county with the chimichangas to control things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Every County should have a Sheriff like Joe. We have one of his deputies as a police Chief here and he really cleaned up the town. In and out of the department.
While people may criticize Sheriff Joe's tactics, it's hard to argue the results?

He feeds his prisoners on less than a $1 a day. They are participants in growing their own food. Result? Saves the tax payers millions

He holds people accountable for their actions. Every parent should be this good. You know, there was actually a time, NOT that far back mind you, that people didn't act the way they do today all in the name of self-esteem.....I like it. I like it in a big way. Get out of line, pay the price. It's as simple as that. To argue it is ignorance personified.

It's simple, don't act up/break laws and guess what, you won't live in a tent in Phoenix....break laws and act up, you will...BUT, the choice is YOURS!!!!

We are fairly strict in the SE on some things and how I wish we would act like this down here. You would watch crime get into control. To be sure, it wouldn't eliminate it but, it would control it.

As far as guns on every belt? That's just ignorant. We have CCW permits down here and people don't go showing their hardware off. They are discrete and it's a personal choice. Frankly, I feel much safer for it. I don't know about you but, when Bingo and Zippy want to jump over a 7/11 counter and audition for the most outrageous police videos, I would just assume that someone, if not me, be carying some sort of weapon juuuuuuuust to keep the "contestants" from clipping Mr. Sunit Patel behind the counter....him, or Mr. Wang Chung...I'm just saying......you know, if I had to choose and all?

It's a shame all those that oppose can't find themselves in a front row seat with this week's "contestants" and see how THEY feel if the barrel of said contestant gets pointed THEIR way? Or, if they do and THEY get clipped, maybe we shouldn't hold vigils....for them?

All I am saying is that Joe has it right. He has it right now. Quit your crying....he's on the right side of wrong vs. right.....

Well, that's how I see it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area