U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 AM

567 posts, read 463,870 times
Default but, how do you handle the heat in summer?

I'm looking for an area in AZ to relocate to, in and around Scottsdale is very nice, how do you handle the 115 degree summer days? Do you get used to it? Do you hide in air conditioning? How nasty is it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 AM

15,858 posts, read 18,609,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
I'm looking for an area in AZ to relocate to, in and around Scottsdale is very nice, how do you handle the 115 degree summer days? Do you get used to it? Do you hide in air conditioning? How nasty is it?
Both. If you have the time, cool pine forests are a couple hours away. We usually spend a month or so visiting relatives in somewhat cooler areas in summer too.

I'll tell you this. I like the hot time more than this miserable cold we have been having. When it is hot I still have my morning and evenings on the patio. You'd have to be crazy to sit outside in the dark in 30 degrees drinking your morning coffee. So I guess that is part of it too - it can be quite pleasant for outdoor living early and late even in the warmer months.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 AM

13,497 posts, read 15,558,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Both. If you have the time, cool pine forests are a couple hours away. We usually spend a month or so visiting relatives in somewhat cooler areas in summer too.

I'll tell you this. I like the hot time more than this miserable cold we have been having. When it is hot I still have my morning and evenings on the patio. You'd have to be crazy to sit outside in the dark in 30 degrees drinking your morning coffee. So I guess that is part of it too - it can be quite pleasant for outdoor living early and late even in the warmer months.
Isn't that the truth! I've been getting a little nostalgic for summer, never thought I'd say that.

Tolerance of the heat is pretty much an individual thing, lots of different ways to handle it.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM

5,011 posts, read 3,192,570 times
It seems some people love the heat, others get used to it, some tolerate it and some others hide from it. There are those who hate it and never get used to it. As Observer said, it's a very individualized thing.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,431,283 times
The heat here isn't that bad. I moved here in July and had my baptism by fire. The worst part for me was getting into my car each afternoon. You learn to deal with it. If you're going to spend time outside make sure to have a hat and sunscreen and drink water. Lots of water.

I'll take Phoenix summer over midwest winter.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 AM

5,011 posts, read 3,192,570 times
I despise the heat, have never gotten used to it and would take a midwest winter any day!

As was said, it's a very individualized thing.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 PM

2,948 posts, read 3,456,032 times
You do outdoor activities either very early or very late and otherwise spend time in A/Ced buildings (your home, the store, restaurants, the mall, museums, etc). Every few weekends, take a day trip up to the mountains where the temperatures are perfect.
After a few years, you get used to it and have a whole new "issue": dealing with the cold....

Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,133,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
You do outdoor activities either very early or very late and otherwise spend time in A/Ced buildings (your home, the store, restaurants, the mall, museums, etc). Every few weekends, take a day trip up to the mountains where the temperatures are perfect.
After a few years, you get used to it and have a whole new "issue": dealing with the cold....
Personally, I never have gotten used to the cold. I grew up in the heat. I even used to be a be a presser in a drycleaners in the heat. It was routinely 120 degrees inside with superheated steam blowing in my face. I fare much better in the heat than I do in cold.
I've lived in the cold for 22 years now. I've never got used to it. One of the many reasons I'll be moving back to the desert.
If I'm hot, A/C cools me off in minutes or jump in a pool or lake.
If I'm cold, sitting beside a warm fireplace won't warm me entirely for hours. If I'm cold the only thing that warms me up is a sizzling hot shower so for me, it's much easier to cool off than it is to warm up.
Besides, when it's warm there is no changing clothes all the time. Shorts and a light shirt both inside or out.
In cold weather, you must change or add clothing just to go outside.
I'll take hot over cold anyday of the week.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:32 PM

10,485 posts, read 13,584,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco917 View Post
I try to stay home as much as possible in the summer, especially during the day. Even know I was born and raised in Phoenix doesn't mean I ever got used to it.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,802,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Besides, when it's warm there is no changing clothes all the time. Shorts and a light shirt both inside or out.
In cold weather, you must change or add clothing just to go outside.
Aint that the truth. I ride a bicycle almost everyday and either find out I have too much on or too little. The worst is when you are both sweating and cold at the same time.

To the OP, you can acclimatize to the heat by exposing yourself to it for gradually longer periods each day. 115 may not be pleasant but by going slow, effective use of shade and drinking plenty of fluids you can handle it. Listen to your body. It will tell you when you've been out too long. Don't jump right in and spend a whole day working on rooftops in July as your first experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area