Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 PM

30 posts, read 71,319 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to the Phoenix area. So many questions

When we visited there several years ago we saw two main types of roofs, tile & "composition" shingle. Which is best in the high heat? Should roofing type be high on our list of considerations when shopping for a home? What is the life expectancy of the roofs?

TIA
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 06:56 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,744,914 times
Shingles are estimated at 15-30 years
Tile at 50 years.

However, heat is a factor that can reduce the life.

Life expectancy

Most, if not all, newer homes in the Phoenix area have tile roofs, and double pane windows.

Many homes built in the 70's, and some 80's may have shingle roofs and single pane windows.

Double pane windows provide more insulation and noise reduction.

When you buy a home, you definitely want a home inspector who can and will do a roof inspection.

If the roof is suspect, curling shingles, faulty grade, etc., you may want to have a roofing contractor inspect the roof also. The contractor can provide you with a quote for repair. The home inspector are not permitted to give quotes for repairs.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 AM

39,003 posts, read 51,008,962 times
You will be hard pressed to find a home in a newer or affluent area that has anything but concrete tile. The thing to appreciate with concrete tile is that it is not the concrete tile that holds out the weather. Under the tile, there is a layer of asphalt based felt roofing paper and that does the work. The tile keeps the sun from destroying the paper and gives the decorative appeal. Unfortunately, the paper degrades because of excessive heat as well and few tile roofs can be expected to last the 50 years some claim. 25 might be a better estimate though I know of some that went longer than that and others less.

Roof leaks generally develop in the valleys where there is more exposure (the more of them your house has the higher the probability of premature failure). At that point the tiles must be removed and stacked and the felt replaced. The cost is several times what it would cost to simply replace a shingle roof. It is labor intensive and like everything in Phoenix, the contractors gouge you mercilessly for this job. And it adds nothing to the looks or value of your home.

Bill ^^ mentioned dual panes, so I will hold forth on that a bit too. Dual panes have very, very little value in a cooling situation. The main factor in heat gain in our homes is radiant heat and two panes are little more effective than one in reducing that. What does work is low-e glass. Some dual panes are built with low-e others are not. Many buyers are from the midwest, where conductive heat loss is significant and dual panes help. They have been "trained" to look for dual panes, so the builders comply by offering them. But most builders use the cheapest ones they can get and those may well not be low-e models. So you don't know unless you are buying new and you ask. I think you are much better off to look for homes that have darkening sun screens. These are highly effective. Years ago they were standard but now are optional with many builders, so resales may or may not have them.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-08-2011 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,761,196 times
Our felt was replaced on my TH. The original lasted 30 years. They used 2 x 12s in the floors, so I think it was above average construction wise. My tile roof in Thailand had no felt, but was wired to iron supports. 60 inches of rain per year, and it never leaked a drop.

I've seeen plenty of high class homes with something besides tile. There is copper, slate, aluminum alloys, wood, and the hot mopped flat roofs. The flat roofs keep getting better and better, most leaks are not roof problems, but drainage problems. Leaks can be quite treaky on the metal roofs.

For cost and value, I think you would almost always get a 20 or 30 year 3 tab, asphalt shingle. Those in HOAs will not have that choice.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:25 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,542,207 times
I have tile on my house that is 16 years old and don't see any problems at this time, but I do notice my neighbors having their roofs re-tiled already. I thought tile was supposed to last 50 years, also. What's happening then????

Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,761,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I have tile on my house that is 16 years old and don't see any problems at this time, but I do notice my neighbors having their roofs re-tiled already. I thought tile was supposed to last 50 years, also. What's happening then????
Are they putting down new felt and re-using the old tiles? The tiles will last 50 years, the other stuff will not.

Last edited by khuntrevor; 01-08-2011 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 02:01 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,628,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Unfortunately, the paper degrades because of excessive heat as well and few tile roofs can be expected to last the 50 years some claim. 25 might be a better estimate though I know of some that went longer than that and others less.

At that point the tiles must be removed and stacked and the felt replaced. The cost is several times what it would cost to simply replace a shingle roof. It is labor intensive and like everything in Phoenix, the contractors gouge you mercilessly for this job.

Bill ^^ mentioned dual panes, so I will hold forth on that a bit too. Dual panes have very, very little value in a cooling situation. The main factor in heat gain in our homes is radiant heat and two panes are little more effective than one in reducing that. They have been "trained" to look for dual panes, so the builders comply by offering them. But most builders use the cheapest ones they can get and those may well not be low-e models.
Roofing felt does not deteriorate under a tile roof! That's a scam perpetuated by the same gypsies that do driveway sealcoating in the north. Tiles do break, but used ones are available for under a buck each if you know where to buy them. (no, they'll never match perfectly, but you can get pretty close).

As for "regular" shingles - well-installed "cheapies" can make it 30 years here, even with the heat. There's nothing wrong with old fashioned 3-tab shingles in Phoenix. Any roof in Phoenix needs someone to go up at least every couple of years to check it out, and re-tar near flashing, check the seals on the stink-pipes, etc.

As for dual pane windows - it also gets cold in Phoenix, and unless you enjoy a 50-degree house, double pane windows make alot of sense. They're quieter, so you don't hear cars driving by your house, (or the neighbor's toilet flushing!), and they add security to your home. It's just about impossible to break through a double-pane window without losing some blood, and the bad guys know it.

I'm one of those "silly" northerners that believes in lots of insulation, high-efficiency a/c, and double-pane windows - and I'd gladly whip out my energy bill to help educate those who don't believe the savings. A couple hundred bucks a month in the hot months in savings is very possible, even in a 1500 sq/foot home.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:59 PM

44,569 posts, read 61,354,897 times
Deteriorating underlayment is definitely not a scam and is the number one cause for tile roof repairs. The AZ heat and water along with cracked or improperly installed tiles are the major factors.

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-08-2011 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: copyright violation - post link, do not post text

Old 01-08-2011, 07:51 PM

102 posts, read 229,164 times
Quote:
Tiles do break, but used ones are available for under a buck each if you know where to buy them. (no, they'll never match perfectly, but you can get pretty close).
Can I get some numbers? I'm closing on a home in Peoria that needs a few cracked tiles replaced.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,628,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacubz View Post
Can I get some numbers? I'm closing on a home in Peoria that needs a few cracked tiles replaced.
dacubz - sent you a pm.

Moderator cut: personal attack
Seriously - if the tiles are intact, you don't even need tar-paper.

Last edited by Kimballette; 01-08-2011 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area