Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,141,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappingfish View Post
Did you LIVE in Bend/Redmond? From my weather-tracking, and internet watching, I see that a surely noticeable difference exists, in that Bend is damper, colder, wetter, while Redmond is icy-er windier and drier. All of that translates (at least to me) that Bend would be less of a pick than Redmond for my wants and needs. So, I thought I would ask if you were sending first hand knowledge re Redmond, etc.

All thinks being equal, I imagine we could be closing an escrow in the Redmond area, rather than the Surprise area. I will keep looking at my accu-weather, and weatherbug, and the wondergroud to see if its just my imagination, or is it REALLY A LOT DIFFERENT than the North Coast where we now live.

Another way to frame this whole enchilada is, having lived for over 10 years in the Humboldt/NorthCoast area, and being used to the chilly/damp winters, (which pretty much blend into both spring and fall) - was that you said two seasons, summer season for 3 months, and then the OTHER season, which lasts 9 months? lol

Now, heres a capper-
Where in the lower 48 could I find the perfect mix city? Take the day by day temp from Surprise and Redmond, and add them, then divide by 2, and the same for the rainfall, the heat index, the etc. etc. etc?

So if it was 120 in a summer Surprise day, and 70 in Redmond, where is the magic town where it is 95? And like that, on and on?
Since this is the Phoenix forum, this is not the appropriate forum to discuss other cities in other states. There are lots of people on the Weather forum that would love to discuss and compare climates, or you could discuss this on one of the Washington forums, but that's not what this forum is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:01 AM

93 posts, read 181,906 times
Thumbs up Hear hear ... or is it here here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
As I've said on multiple occasions, heat is a nuisance, cold changes your entire lifestyle. You don't shovel heat. You don't worry about your car sliding off the road in heat. You don't drive 10 mph slower in heat. You don't miss flights at the airport to heat. Your child's school is not cancelled due to heat. You don't salt the driveway to heat. You don't have to de-summerize your vehicles. You don't scrape your windshield in the summer. You don't put your car on heating blocks in the summer. It doesn't take you 30 minutes to dress your babies and toddlers in the summer because you aren't putting layers of clothes on them. When you leave for work in the morning, it doesn't get hotter. When you return from from work in the evening, it doesn't get hotter. In the winter, you can't have barbeques and pool parties at 8 PM like you can in the summer here.

The summers are annoying here but relative to winters, I'll take extreme heat over extreme cold any day. And I don't think the heat is that bad. Most of us miss the worst of the heat because we are working indoors during that time since most of us work from 8-5 PM...the worst of the heat. In winters, it's the opposite, you are working when the weather is at it's best and experience it's worst moments driving to work in the morning and coming home in the evening when the sun goes down. In the summers, you can drive 2 hours and experience cooler weather in Flagstaff, Sedona and other parts of the state. In a cold weather city, you can't drive 2 hours and experience 80 degree temperatures for the weekend.
Now Yer Talkin' ... I really can't think of a worthwhile argument. The wife might not like it, but if I can get her down into Surprise, the ploy being that we're visiting old friends, maybe she will see that it might work for her as well.

We remain concerned about the water supply for Surprise. Gonna have to do some investigative diggin' on that one!
Thanks
fish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area