Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 08:27 PM

138 posts, read 786,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
No kiddin'?! I'll take any day in AZ in May and June when it's hot and dry (think hair dryer on high vs. any day in AZ in July and August when it's not as hot, but humid. Don't mind humidity as much at the right place, but the right place would be a beach. I haven't been to Houston, but have been many times at its airport and you feel the horrible humidity inside this practically sealed building.
Humidity sucks. I live in MD and we constantly have dew in between the panes of glass of our windows .... not to mention that I constantly have sweat behind my knees, on my lower back, neck, etc, etc.

Personally, I'd take the dry heat, even if it is a bit hotter at least it's not as uncomfortably, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 10:23 PM

29 posts, read 88,421 times
if you like urban environments - cities like NYC, Boston, DC, SF, - with tons of diversity, culture, energy and global flavor - phoenix is NOT the place for you.

But, as you can see from this board, some people do like it. Personally, I don't. No sense agruing who is right - as they say, there's no accounting for taste. But don't be fooled into thinking Phoenix is an enormous metropolis booming with energy. Yes, it is growing, but is has a long long way to go. It may be the "5th largest city" in the US - but this is due to the ever expanding city boundary. The more acceptable and accurate measure - metopolitan statistical area - place the populace at 14th in the US - somewhere between Seattle and San Jose. By most of the world's definition, Phoenix simply is not a major city - more like a suburban sprawl of strip malls and parking lots. But hey, I guess that fits someone's tripped out version of utopia.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:06 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
One of the problems with too many people moving here from all over the country is, they bring all their habits (particularily driving habits) with them. You can easily tell who the Californians are, trying to go 75 MPH in rush hour traffic, and constantly changing lanes to get ahead of everybody, which they never do.

Over the last few decades, we've also seen plants and shrubbery get transplanted here, which are not native to the Arizona desert, and that's causing a lot of the pollen and many other elements that are not suitable, nor conducive to our desert environment and have caused problems. So if you want to move here, leave your plants in your state, they don't belong here!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:11 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller01 View Post
Then leave already!!! Personally I love having Thanksgiving dinner outside on the back patio - it's always perfect weather then. I have lived many places, not just here, but besides Southern California, which is very expensive, Arizona has the best climate around. If you have never lived in a humid area, you will be in for a rude awakening as it is anything but pleasant and unlike the dry heat, there is no escaping high humidity!
You are SOOO right! We did that a couple of Thanksgivings ago and it was beautiful! We strung white lights all around and had a bunch of candles lit. It was so very nice. Maybe we'll do that again.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:19 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquity View Post
If you're thinking of moving here, DON'T! I've been here for 6yrs and it's bad.
First of all the people here are NOT all that friendly, people here CAN'T drive,
traffic is bad and there's way TOO MUCH road construction just about evrywhere you go, and if you're a person from an ethnic background; there are discrimination AND ALOT OF IT and racism to go with living here.
Phoenix is not a likable city to some that live outside of it (Sedona, Tucson, Prescott, Flagstaff, to name a few) but it does have it querks like living somewhere else as far as crime goes. When it comes down to finding a job, you're pretty much judged by how you look and whether or not they wanta hire you so they're very picky here when it comes down to a job. Plus not to mention that it's HOT as hell here and it never rains and if it does, it only rains for 5-15 minutes then it stops raining. People here don't watch thier kids so whenever you turn on the news there's always a report that a kid was killed by drowning in a swimming pool, majority of the people here are crazy, you have a vast majority that think that they're better than you because of the cars they drive, there's nothing to do here and ALL of their radio stations and television stations sucks, so if you're still thinking about moving here you might wanta invest in buying satelite radio and directv(dish network sucks) and google up some radio stations over the internet because their radio stations are not all that. Power98 swear they know how to dj and they don't. They play the same BS all day and night and got the nerve to think that they're funny and they're not. MEGA sucks too which happens to be an old school station, but they play nothing but hits and it's pretty much the same stuff in rotation so you won't be hearing anything different like you would in other states. Plus they give out cheesy bullcrap prizes too. I'd say the first 3 years of me staying here were awsome but after the other 3, that's when things started to clik and I started to realized that phoenix ain't really all that what people make it out to be. That it's a nice city and all? Yeah! It's somewhat nice here but the people here suck and so does their system of things.
People here aren't all that bright either. Take my word for it. THEY'RE NOT!!
I have to say that I agree with a lot of what this person says. But, even through all this, I still kinda like it here. Yes, I agree a lot of people are crazy (but that is good for my line of work ). Yep, people can't drive. Radio is all hip hop (even though I like it, I'm amazed at how many stations we have of it!). Parents don't watch their kids around water. It is hot here. It hardly ever rains. Lots of rude people....I noticed that A LOT today. I'm the kind that will hold a door open for someone that isn't quite at the door yet, so it's not like I'm rude too. Constantly, I saw rude people doing this or that to others and myself. Ugh! Anyway, I found this post funny, although true in many ways.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:24 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
One of the problems with too many people moving here from all over the country is, they bring all their habits (particularily driving habits) with them. You can easily tell who the Californians are, trying to go 75 MPH in rush hour traffic, and constantly changing lanes to get ahead of everybody, which they never do.
Mike puhleeze! I think you meant the East Coast drivers cause Ca people might tend to go fast but only when it is feasible! Also Kali drivers are generally very defensive unlike the East Coast freaks.
I assure you, CA drivers are a ton better than the ones out here!
In 2 separate days, 2 different drivers almost run into me and not because I or they were speeding, they were making an illegal lane change and I alone avoided the collision.
From what I heard, the snowbirds are great drivers too, can't wait till they start coming back!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:38 AM

124 posts, read 413,452 times
I have to agree with C2H and KidA I would rather have the moisture then feel the sun burning my arms sometimes I feel like my skin is on fire! And Yes Phx is full of stip malls and more and more shopping but not enough indoor things for kids we need a Mall of America with an indoor theme park or a huge indoor waterpark something for kids to do indoors summers are so long and boring.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:05 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Mike puhleeze! I think you meant the East Coast drivers cause Ca people might tend to go fast but only when it is feasible! Also Kali drivers are generally very defensive unlike the East Coast freaks.
I assure you, CA drivers are a ton better than the ones out here!
In 2 separate days, 2 different drivers almost run into me and not because I or they were speeding, they were making an illegal lane change and I alone avoided the collision.
From what I heard, the snowbirds are great drivers too, can't wait till they start coming back!
I do have to say the California drivers are the highly skilled at tailgating. I had several Californian friends and they can tailgate great at 70-80 miles per hour. I would have crashed into the person in front of me for sure.

Oh the snowbirds yes........

Old 08-12-2007, 10:25 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I do have to say the California drivers are the highly skilled at tailgating. I had several Californian friends and they can tailgate great at 70-80 miles per hour. I would have crashed into the person in front of me for sure.

Oh the snowbirds yes........
Another shamefully inaccurate accusation! What is with all the Cali Driver bashing?
C'mon Sheena, you might have seen one or two bad drivers from CA but don't let that bad experience make you generalize the rest of them that way!

Not to defend those jerks but one thing some people do not get, the far left lane is for fast moving traffic regardless of the posted speed limit, if someone is trying to go faster than you, let them!

Out here the slowest people seems to enjoy the left lane and do not get the hint when people pile up behind them or even flash their beams....nada! They keep on driving with or without acknowledging...now that is really annoying!!

You know how many times I have seen a 3-lane road entirely blocked because all there lanes were occupied with drivers at the same exact speed driving right next to each other 5 miles less than the speed limit!!! Bunch of cars behind them trying to pass them, honking, high-beaming, nada! I am sure some were tail-gating too but I never do that since there are also some sudden break happy fools around as well....simply put, I do not know how & why some of these idiots got their driver license!

Ok, I vented and feel a bit better now, please continue with the regularly scheduled program...

Old 08-13-2007, 12:12 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
TurcoLoco, It's funny you mentioned how "Safe" California drivers are. I was on the I-17 freeway this morning and this guy in a Lexus couldn't have been more than 10 feet behind my bumper! I guess he was in a hurry and wanted to go much faster than rush hour traffic allowed him. I could not get out of his way because of traffic that was ahead of me and in the lanes next to me. So just to get him off my tail, I got into the carpool lane (yes it's a violation) and he passed me, and sure enough, the car had California plates. Nonetheless he got behind another poor driver!

We find drivers like that from every state, but more so from California.

Weaving in and out of lanes, tailgating, and trying to go much faster than traffic allows a person, is not exactly defensive driving Turco, it's dangerous. I sometimes do drive about 10 MPH faster than the speed limit, but ONLY when traffic and road conditions allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area